My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has two options for trans filters. A narrow long one for $40 and a wide short one for $11.
On my old 2520 I used the short wide cheaper one. I also never used my mid pto.
I just did my 50 hr service and used a wide filter I already had. I now have a MMM.
My question is am I going to now have a problem getting my MMM PTO shaft on.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Rogator,
I honestly don't think the 11.00 filter is for your tractor. At least not for the hydro. Maybe he quoted an oil filter too,or the fuel filter.

Greg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rogator,
I honestly don't think the 11.00 filter is for your tractor. At least not for the hydro. Maybe he quoted an oil filter too,or the fuel filter.

Greg
This is the forth time I have used this filter.
I used the same $11 filter for 3 trans oil changes on my old 2520.

·
Registered
973 Posts
glc he is from Canada guessing Canada price not US price

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The part number is am116156.
JD parts online calls it an oil filter HST $10.20 Canadian at my Manitoba store 17 on hand.
$8.66 at my North Dakota store 18 on hand.
LVU800097 is $33.86 at ND store 2 on hand. LVU800097 is $39.90 at MB store 0 on hand.
My parts man told me when they found out about this filter they quit carrying the others.
The filter is 3.5"x3.5".
The long narrow one that came on the tractor is 4.5"x2.75".
I put one of these "cheap" filters on my first 2520 at 50 hrs, 100 hrs and 200 hrs without a problem

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Rogator , what Part # , does your Manual say to use , (that's the Trump Card) ???

Later,x595

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rogator , what Part # , does your Manual say to use , (that's the Trump Card) ???

Later,x595
If you want to pay more than you need to thats up to you.
There are lots of people that use after market filters to save money and I use a dealer recommended John deere Filter thats $30 cheaper.
I have 2 GMC trucks that I can buy different size filters for. Along one for two wheel drive and a short one for four wheel drive.
John Deere happens to make 2 filters that work on my tractor and just because they recommend the the expensive does not mean you have to use it and not the cheaper one or an after market one.

I do not think John Deeres recommendations trump anything.
Do you use only JD oil or JD attachments on your JD tractor?
If you needed new tires for your tractor would you buy them from JD?

John Deere charges $40 for a filter because they know that there are people that think they have to buy JD parts only.

I put two rear remotes on my 2520 for $450. JD "recommendation" would have cost me over $1000 for one remote.

Why would they recommend the $11 filter when there are people who are willing to pay $40?

JMHO

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
All I have to say is you PAID BIG $$$ on your Tractor and you want to cheap out on a Filter , ($29.00 gets you ranting) , you do what you want , I'll go by my Manual ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All I have to say is you PAID BIG $$$ on your Tractor and you want to cheap out on a Filter , ($29.00 gets you ranting) , you do what you want , I'll go by my Manual ...

Later,x595
I was just passing on some info that might save some 2520 owners a few bucks.
It dosent even apply to your lawn tractor.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If it has the same amount and same kind of filtering media as the more expensive LVU800097,I'll use it. I am going to get more info from my dealer this Saturday.

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts