My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Fridays I tend to like to do jobs that I can do by myself so today was a driveway resurface using the 2520 and box blade. I took before pictures but it was somewhat dark and fog so they didn’t turn out.

This property is about 4 min from my home, private community with an amazing golf course, the driveway was only three years old however the 6” surge rock was coming through as was granite boulders so I used the 27D excavator removing the rock, did a light pass with the teeth but had to be careful as I didn’t want to disturb the surge too much.

It was a fun day, I really love the box blade and the results.

Picked up 6 more driveways from neighbours driving by, gave out over 30 cards from people driving to the golf course but the best part is the manager of the golf course stopped as I was doing the second driveway, long story short he hired me to come in and regrade all the walkways and golf cart path’s.

I have been leaving a few messages for this guy for over a year as I want to pick up the spraying (Organic) of the course, we spoke at length and I have a meeting with their head grounds keeper in the morning but as far as he was concerned it was a done deal.

Anyhow I got three driveways done then took the afternoon of to work on daughters car:fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
345 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! Sometimes I wonder if you're the only guy with a tractor in Nova Scotia!

It would be great if I could justify the purchase of a 2520 knowing I would get some income from it, but everybody and their brother has machines around here.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's awesome! Sometimes I wonder if you're the only guy with a tractor in Nova Scotia!

It would be great if I could justify the purchase of a 2520 knowing I would get some income from it, but everybody and their brother has machines around here.
They are around however according to my Deere dealer who has 8 stores, I am the only landscaping company to use CUTS they are aware of, I have even had landscaping companies ask me what I have on the tractor (attachment) and what I use the tractor for. In my year and a half of travels around, I have only seen one other CUT being pulled by a landscaper and it was orange. I think it would serve companies well to educate landscaping/excavation companies what these things can do, it seems skid steer is the only thing talked about or used.

Long weekend here, going to have some fun at my own property, two excavators and a CUT here to keep me busy along with a wood chipper and a 749.....16 loads of free fill from a job the guys did last week ready to be spread in an opening I made for a steel building to house all this stuff, so much to do but so little time.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for sharing it is Refreshing to me reading about your day at the office! Congrats on the new jobs too. Keep up the good work and keep the stories coming. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

If I may can I ask how is your dealer friend who was in the crash?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Andy,

Thanks for sharing it is Refreshing to me reading about your day at the office! Congrats on the new jobs too. Keep up the good work and keep the stories coming. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

If I may can I ask how is your dealer friend who was in the crash?
He is fair to poor. I had a desperate busy week pounding the hours in and never gave him a call yet, however I was at Deere today and one employees there was talking to him this morning, still pretty rough shape and from what I understand he has zone out moments. I know his brain scans came back positive but I think I will encourage him for follow up as this accident did a number on his head (injury wise).

And thanks for your kind comments, I really sing the praises of CUTS. One of my clients who has become a very good friend bought a New Holland a month ago with a loader (same size as a 2305), called me as he took a month off and wanted me there with an excavator while he did loader work, after two hours of training, he has turned out to be one of the best operators I have seen, super fellow and really high up in the ranks of law enforcement but like most of us still a kid at heart and I swear in his case a very organized farm boy!

The "office" is the best office I have had in 30 years, I mean I wake up at 5, out the door at 6, eager every day to play in the dirt and get paid well for doing it. I Love Deere because it's what I know, all I can say is every piece of gear I own performs way beyond my expectations and they never complain.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for the update, I will keep your friend and his family in my prayers.

I like the New Hollands too especially the new Boomer series that looks like the old 8N Ford. My Father In Law and a Good friend both have New Hollands with around 30Hpower and loaders they are Very Nice CUTS too. I have just been partial to deere as we always had more deere's around then anything else, However my Great Uncle had an old 8N and if I could I'd own one of the new Boomers like that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Back in 2003 we were hit with a Hurricane (Juan) that did massive damage to our city, thousands of trees and many are still cleaning up, on my own property the kids say they counted over 800 trees down, mainly spruce. I had a clean up quote at the time and it was close to 40 grand which was way out of my price range, over the years I have cleaned up the front of the property which is around 950 feet long by 300 feet wide, the back was pretty much left until today.

Today's job was to start in the centre of the lot in my back yard and make a trail so that I can get a CUT and chipper in, go back about 500 feet then Y with each arm of the Y another 1,000 feet.

Man it's slow going, aside from all the trees down, granite is everywhere and it's desperate hard finding a fairly clean spot to dig to get fill and bury rocks but I have up to the Y done and about 600 feet on each arm of the Y.

Tomorrow I will put the chipper on one of the CUT's and head back to see if I can put a dent in this.

Fun day especially being able to finally get at my own property and having the gear to do it sure saves a lot and I get what I want. I will haul most of these pieces of granite out and use them for a rock wall down the sides of my property in front, mainly to get rid of them, will take years to complete but has started:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBzdG5VEbD4

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Andy,

That is one mighty big rock! I'd say you have your hands full for awhile doing that clearing behind your place when you have time. Thanks for the pics and Good Luck that Really looks like a Big Job for a home owner. :drunkie:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy,

That is one mighty big rock! I'd say you have your hands full for awhile doing that clearing behind your place when you have time. Thanks for the pics and Good Luck that Really looks like a Big Job for a home owner. :drunkie:
Thanks, the 27 struggled with that one but I know if I can wiggle a rock I can move it, one of our bigger excavators would have been a better choice for moving what I ran into however I don't want a wide road, just something wide enough for the CUT and chipper so the 27 fit the bill. I managed to do this in just over 10 hours.

There are lots of jobs like this around Halifax but people for the most part can't afford to get it done, we have a long list of clients where we go in and pick away at it each year, we actually prefer this, a week or two at the same site and everyone is ready to move on.

The excavator saves a ton of work as I can pick up an entire tree using the thumb and bring it to or simply feed it into the chipper.

Softwood around here hasn't been worth much the past few years, I will chip everything, make mulch and sell it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the picture lovers....

Being a long weekend I am cutting and chipping away, using the chips for the path, they are only back bladed at the moment, at the end of the day I will use a landscape rake and spread them out, having an excavator with a thumb is like having 4 or 5 helpers, it saves so much time and tear on the old body:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at 5:30 had to call it quits, just too hot for tree work, used the landscape rake to spread the ships out, cheap way to make a path!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts