My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first will apologize for the long post that you are about to read.

I currently have a 2305 with 54 FEL, 47 snowblower, 5 ft rear blade and 62 MMM deck.

I mostly mow with the 2305 and use the FEL around my property and to help move snow.
The 2305 is great for mowing. It's the snow moving that is making me think I need or want to upgrade.

Besides my full time job, I mow some extra lawns and in the winter, move some snow. I have 2 fairly big parking lots to move snow out of. The snowblower will blow it about 1/2 way across the parking lot, meaning, I have to blow it a second time. Finding that the snowblower was a tough go in the parking lots, I started using the rear blade and FEL. Worked pretty good. But, 12-18" of snow about every other day, this to was a tough go for my little 2305. The 2305 just had a hard time pulling or pushing all of this snow into a windrow so that I could use the FEL to put it in a pile or elsewhere.

This morning, I was backed up to my trailer, ready to make a 4 hour road trip to get a Bobcat skidloader. Then, decided that I don't need a skid loader for my property (my son in law has one if I really need one) and maybe an upgrade to a larger CUT would be a wiser choice. So, I am looking at a 2520 or 2720. I would be using it the same as my 2305.
Mowing, FEL work, back blade, maybe trade my 47 snowblower for the larger 54.
None of the work would be heavy work.
Just need some extra HP for moving snow with either the FEL, backblade or snowblower.
So what do you think. 2520 or 2720

Thanks in advance.
Greg

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Either would be great, however IMHO they are too heavy for mowing. In your case I would probably get a cheap LA or similar for mowing and a 2720 but to be honest and I have both, the only advantage of the 2720 vs the 2520 is HP at the PTO. In our landscaping the 2520 will do wverything the 2720 will do including a lot of box blade work.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hey Greg,
Well,I'm going to be partial here and say the 2520............BUT,if you can afford the extra,it wouldn't hurt to have that little bit of added HP.:fing32: They say more is always better,but I'm completely satisfied with the power of a 2520. My.02.

Greg

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts

I currently have a 2305 with 54 FEL, 47 snowblower, 5 ft rear blade and 62 MMM deck.

I mostly mow with the 2305 and use the FEL around my property and to help move snow.
The 2305 is great for mowing. It's the snow moving that is making me think I need or want to upgrade.

Besides my full time job, I mow some extra lawns and in the winter, move some snow. I have 2 fairly big parking lots to move snow out of. The snowblower will blow it about 1/2 way across the parking lot, meaning, I have to blow it a second time. Finding that the snowblower was a tough go in the parking lots, I started using the rear blade and FEL. Worked pretty good. But, 12-18" of snow about every other day, this to was a tough go for my little 2305. The 2305 just had a hard time pulling or pushing all of this snow into a windrow so that I could use the FEL to put it in a pile or elsewhere.

This morning, I was backed up to my trailer, ready to make a 4 hour road trip to get a Bobcat skidloader. Then, decided that I don't need a skid loader for my property (my son in law has one if I really need one) and maybe an upgrade to a larger CUT would be a wiser choice. So, I am looking at a 2520 or 2720. I would be using it the same as my 2305.
Just need some extra HP for moving snow with either the FEL, backblade or snowblower.

Thanks in advance.
Greg

Either will be great. We have an MF 1635 Cab with turfs, and you do not notice the foot print when mowing, and it weighs 3527 pounds for the tractor, and another 544 for the mower.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
I have the 2520 and was a bit concerned that I would regret not getting the 2720. I have yet to find anything that has caused me to regret my decision. I was worried with the 5ft bush hog, but again, that turned out to be no problem at all for the 2520.

I really don't get the comment above about either being too heavy to mow. I have the 72" deck and mow close to 7 acres with it and think it does an awesome job.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I have the 2520 and was a bit concerned that I would regret not getting the 2720. I have yet to find anything that has caused me to regret my decision. I was worried with the 5ft bush hog, but again, that turned out to be no problem at all for the 2520.

I really don't get the comment above about either being too heavy to mow. I have the 72" deck and mow close to 7 acres with it and think it does an awesome job.
It all depends on how soft the ground is. My 2520 with the R4s which the rears are loaded, do leave marks in the yard here in the spring. I dont mow with mine, its mostly all loader or 3pt work with mine.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts

Thanks in advance.
Greg
From what it sounds like, the snowblower is the only real hp user your gonna have. 2520 should be enough but the extra grunt the 2720 will give ya might come in handy in wet snow. I thought of upgrading to the 2720, but the only time I need the extra hp is tilling, and there is not enough to justify the extra $1500 or so to do.

FWIW, the turf tires do very well in snow, and the turf will like them too.

Like Picframer said, save the $ go the 2520 and a smaller mower for the yard when its soft. :trink39:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts

Compacted soft clay soil is what we have, keep in mind this is a business for me so mowing a clients lawn with a CUT is out, our only mowing clients are private subdivisions on the upper end of the food chain. We have serious issues with compacted soil, the last headache I want is one of our machines making it worse.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
JD Greg,

I like your reasoning of getting a more capable scut rather than the skidsteer. For the year-round work you're doing, it just makes more sense.

That 54" snowblower, with a rear blade, should be a nice combo. But you'll still run into the issue of needing to move those snow piles with an FEL. That's the classic snow removal dilemma -- you almost need two machines simultaneously for those really big jobs.

I'm not a big fan of the rear-blowers, but I wonder if in your case one might make sense? The big advantage is that you can run the FEL on the front of the tractor simultaneous. The 2520/2720 can easily handle the Frontier SB-11 rear 3 pt hitch blower. (For that matter, it's even compatible with your 2305 !) I've read that these rear blowers are less expensive than the comparable front blowers, too.

Anyway, good luck. Either way (2520/2720) you'll end up with a sweet machine. And if you're worried about keeping costs in check, maybe try a rear blower on the 2305 with the FEL?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a noticable or substantial difference in performance between the 2305 and the 2520. I was on a 2720 yesterday, and the performcance difference compared to my 2305 was susbstantial. But, with the 2520 only being 2 hp more than my 2305, it gives me concern that I won't be gaining much.

If this has double or triple posted, I'm sorry. My computer is acting up.

Greg

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Boy I just went through this decision as well... Upgrading from a 2210... Looked over everything, was having a difficult time deciding between the 2520 and 2720. That being said, dealership near me is cutting me a great deal on a 2720. I'm actually able to get a 2720 for under a 2520 price... Wierd, I know....

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Is there a noticable or substantial difference in performance between the 2305 and the 2520. I was on a 2720 yesterday, and the performcance difference compared to my 2305 was susbstantial. But, with the 2520 only being 2 hp more than my 2305, it gives me concern that I won't be gaining much.

If this has double or triple posted, I'm sorry. My computer is acting up.

Greg
The difference is night and day between a 2305 and 2520, they are now even close to being in the same ball game.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I went from a 2210 to the 2520, IMO, huge difference. Might only be 2hp, but its a larger engine, more torque. Made a huge difference on my tiller.

Snoyes, what dealer are you working with?? 2720 for 2520 price, might have to go shoppin. :praying:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm working with Shiloh Valley. They had the best prices I've found.... That being said, I am ordering a loader (53 inch bucket and hood guard) and optioned a block heater, power beyond, divertor, fender flares, and light kit... But they were a better price than any other's I've found....

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
I'm working with Shiloh Valley. They had the best prices I've found.... That being said, I am ordering a loader (53 inch bucket and hood guard) and optioned a block heater, power beyond, divertor, fender flares, and light kit... But they were a better price than any other's I've found....
Might want to consider the 60" bucket. That is what I went with and my dealer told me that is what they recommend for the 2520's and 2720's. It works great and you sure can scoop up alot of stuff with it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might want to consider the 60" bucket. That is what I went with and my dealer told me that is what they recommend for the 2520's and 2720's. It works great and you sure can scoop up alot of stuff with it.
Yeah, I will go with the 60" bucket.
Probably upgrade my 47" snowblower for the 54" also.

Greg

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
OK.... I'll have to talk to the guys and see what the 60 inch bucket will run.... Thanks!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Actually it's a 61" bucket,and I would definitely get it. If you get the heavy duty,you could also get the replaceable cutting edge.:fing32:

Greg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts