My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 I.C. has been after me for some backhoe experience so today was the day, it's been months since I have had the hoe on this unit which is his favorite tractor.

The goal was to start with the down spouts on the house and dig a 3' deep trench all the way down the property to the culvert. It didn't take him long to catch on and he finished the trench in about 5 hours, it's 160 feet long, he laid pipe and had about half of it back filled by the time he left at 6.

I am on the same property with the 27, it is now code here to put precast culvert ends in, residents have another 3 years to get it done and we do quite a few a year, the reason is the old way was to build up the ends with rock however due to our winter weather they never stay, plug and flooding takes place.

I pick the ends up at a place where they are made as I get a super discount, these things are desperate heavy I would estimate around 3,200 pounds each as it's all the 27 can do to lift them off the trailer.

First thing to be done is remove the old culvert, as luck would have it this one, even though galvanized was rusted out, I have to pick up a new one in the morning, code is a PVC type culvert.

Tomorrow I will install the new culvert, then the ends and they want a nice driveway.

I used to cringe switching from backhoe to 3 pt hitch however I can do it right on the trailer in just over 5 min which is excellent, this will allow Billy to try the box blade on a customers property, he has practised quite a bit on mine and I think he is ready.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few more pictures

Final picture is the client and his wife going for a drive in an MG he just rebuilt, it was a perfect day for it, man was it hot!

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Andy,

Thanks for keeping the pics and experiences coming! :thThumbsU

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Andy looks like you have another satisfied client, as well as keeping us entertained with your pics.:fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Andy,

The amount of work you have is amazing. I love following your posts, it is better than watching TV.

Is that a Fiat in the background of the bottom picture?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy,

The amount of work you have is amazing. I love following your posts, it is better than watching TV.

Is that a Fiat in the background of the bottom picture?
It's an MG that he rebuilt, it was a super hot day yesterday so he and his wife decided to take the MG for a spin, they came home after about 20 min saying it was too hot, walked down to the marina and went sailing. These are super clients like most of ours, retired but Bruce has some really interesting hobbies. When we get to talking, the time flies like no tomorrow.

Down side is I can't finish the job as I can't find 1/2" crusher run for the driveway, there is so much highway construction going on the quarries are running 24/7 and these massive construction companies have priority over us little guys so....on a waiting list, 10 days at best, this has never happened to me before and is somewhat of a serious issue as I have 8 driveways to do in the next 10 day period.....will have to draft a letter for the clients advising of the issue.

·
Super Moderator
36,568 Posts
Very nice pics and looks like your helper is getting the hang of the equipment. Won't be long before he can go it alone!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice pics and looks like your helper is getting the hang of the equipment. Won't be long before he can go it alone!
That is his dream, I thought I had Deere fever, OMG even his lighter is John Deere!

Billy is one of the best employees I have ever worked with. Started with me in March, had never sat on a tractor, never seen a wood chipper, never operated a chainsaw or sat in an excavator, well his life has changed and he can run everything I have (except excavators) and picks up faster than anyone I have worked with.

He asked today now that he has 12 hours with the backhoe when he can start with the excavators......I told him to hang tuff and get 50 or 60 hours under his butt then we would take the next step.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I told him to hang tuff and get 50 or 60 hours under his butt then we would take the next step.
I like how you are bringing him up slowly and it is nice to see that there are employer's that do care about their customer's and employee's. :trink39: If he didn't learn how to use the equipment, he still would have learned a valuable life lesson.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like how you are bringing him up slowly and it is nice to see that there are employer's that do care about their customer's and employee's. :trink39: If he didn't learn how to use the equipment, he still would have learned a valuable life lesson.
Thanks, I always had the attitude that when I was in a position of authority I would treat staff under me as my equal and in a way I wanted to be treated, I have managed people for over 25 years that way and buddy it really pays off.

As a sign of their efforts, every employee has a Deere key chain (well after they have been with us min 3 months), they have a key to every machine they have been trained on, it may seem simple to us, but man they are so proud of their key chains it's pretty funny.

I think all of us have a kid inside, I think I have a few or a big one, we all dream of operating machinery and staff are no different so why not train them up, regardless of age.

I taught a customer who is almost 80 three weeks ago how to operate the Auger on the excavator, he drilled holes under my supervision for a glass area around his patio, his son who is an RCMP friend told me I made his day, his upcoming birthday and has since told me he never stops talking about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts