My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 2520 with FEL and 72"D is to be delivered Saturday morning. The 5 acres I have now I will mow with the 72" deck, but I just purchased another 6.5 acres right beside me that needs to have about 2 1/2 acres knocked down with a bush hog and will again from time to time, plus some mowing out in the woods. Not worried about the brand, but rather the size for the 2520. So what do all you experts think, a 48" model or go with 5ft?

·
Registered
108 Posts
With a 2520 I see no reason to go with anything less than a 5' bush hog. Once you clean up the field then its just rougj mowing.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and just the answer I was looking for. Too big or too small and I would regret it within 5 minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also just purchased a new 2520 and the dealer said it would handle a 5 foot mower with no problems, that is my next investment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an rz160 (5') Bush hog brand. I use it to mow 29 acres of high thick hay with some weeds mixed in. My 2520 doesn't skip a beat.Thick bush cutting might be different of course but it mows over 1"-1.5" clumps of alders with no trouble. A 4 footer would be quiet small behind a big ole 2520.:thThumbsU

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info guys! I guess when you think about it, since I did get the 72" deck and 5ft bush hog should really not be a problem. Been stongly thinking about getting a used bush hog rather than new, same for a box blade. Going to beat the tar out of these two implements, so maybe buying new is not the way to go. Maybe I am totally wrong and should buy new.

The 2520 was delivered yesterday, see seperate post.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
[QUOTE=SwiftDeere;1294077]Great info guys! I guess when you think about it, since I did get the 72" deck and 5ft bush hog should really not be a problem. Been stongly thinking about getting a used bush hog rather than new, same for a box blade. Going to beat the tar out of these two implements, so maybe buying new is not the way to go. Maybe I am totally wrong and should buy new.

SwiftDeere, I think it depends on how often you will use the bush hog. Will it be used just for the 2 1/2 acres of rough field? Once bush hogged, will you then use your finish mower to keep it down?

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE=SwiftDeere;1294077]Great info guys! I guess when you think about it, since I did get the 72" deck and 5ft bush hog should really not be a problem. Been stongly thinking about getting a used bush hog rather than new, same for a box blade. Going to beat the tar out of these two implements, so maybe buying new is not the way to go. Maybe I am totally wrong and should buy new.

SwiftDeere, I think it depends on how often you will use the bush hog. Will it be used just for the 2 1/2 acres of rough field? Once bush hogged, will you then use your finish mower to keep it down?
Yes, that probably is about right, but will have to wait and see. There is also areas out in the woods that I will use the bush hog on from time to time. Why the question, what are you thinking?

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,677 Posts
Great info guys! I guess when you think about it, since I did get the 72" deck and 5ft bush hog should really not be a problem. Been stongly thinking about getting a used bush hog rather than new, same for a box blade. Going to beat the tar out of these two implements, so maybe buying new is not the way to go. Maybe I am totally wrong and should buy new.

The 2520 was delivered yesterday, see seperate post.

I would strongly advise against buying a used bush hog, unless you are getting it from a reputable dealer, or someone you know, or really trust. If you do, go over it with a fine toothed comb. Make sure the gear box, among things is tip top.

Congrats on the new tractor.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Make sure it will hook up to your I-match before you buy because not all manufacturers build the same:thThumbsU

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I would strongly advise against buying a used bush hog, unless you are getting it from a reputable dealer, or someone you know, or really trust. If you do, go over it with a fine toothed comb. Make sure the gear box, among things is tip top.

Congrats on the new tractor.
Totally agree. I don't typically buy used and may be better off in the long run to just go ahead and purchase new. Tractor Supply has a nice 5 ft unit for $799. Might be the better way to go.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure it will hook up to your I-match before you buy because not all manufacturers build the same:thThumbsU
Though I have already thought of that, still very good advice. I plan to write down a few measurements and take with me when looking. Seems I may be better off to just purchase new. $799 at Tractor Supply or $1500 at John Deere for a 5 footer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm going to try and start a discussion about bush hogs and finish mowers here because I don't understand the 2520 has 72" finish mower and were talking about whether or not a 5' bush hog is to big. I 'm not sure of the 2520 hp but I think the 2320 is about the same hp as my 4110 it runs a 5' bush hog and never even loads the engine mowing 3' high weedy grass. When it comes to a finish mower the consensus seems to be that a 5' finish mower is the max you should put on a 4110. The question is does it take more hp to run a 5' finish than it does a 5' bush hog because I'm sure my 4110 would run a 6' bush hog oh I'm thinking of buying a finsh mower and I would like buy one that as soon as I use it I don't want say I wished I bought bigger mower or I should have bought a smaller one

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Yes, that probably is about right, but will have to wait and see. There is also areas out in the woods that I will use the bush hog on from time to time. Why the question, what are you thinking?
SwiftDeere once a bushhog clears up your new property, I am thinking you may not need a bushhog at that point to keep up property as you have a nice 72 MMM to keep it clear. I am just wondering if you would be better served by hiring someone to bushhog the 2 1/2 acrres and use the money for another implement? However if you have other uses for it, like other woods you mention, I understand. Sure is a nice looking tractor!:trink40:

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Depending on what is growing that needs "knocked down" you could always use the 72D deck raised to its highest position and knocked down the weeds. Then lower the deck, and finish mow the area. The only problem I see with this approach is not knowing what is in the field like rocks, bicycles, cable, pile of bricks etc. etc. Don't ask how I know about finding a bicycle in our abandoned field.

When we first bought this property (10 acres) we attempted to get the former owner to bush hog the fields for us. He came and after a few passes, said it was too much for his large old 2 wheel drive tractor w/bush hog, and had to go back home and get his 4 wheel drive tractor. He wanted $50 for what he had done, and said it probably cost me another $150 to finish the mowing with his 4 wheel drive tractor. My wife looked at what needed to be done, and climbed onto our then L118 John Deere lawn tractor, she started to cut. It took 3 days, but she finished and after two passes it was looking really nice. He couldn't believe my wife was mowing what he had just told me was too much for his tractor couldn't do.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I first had my 4 acres cut I hired someone to come in and do it. $150.00 6 years ago. I have since acquired a 4' rotary mower that I rarely use and it's usually on other people's property. 60" K-K rear discharge gives a great cut and no clumps.

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depending on what is growing that needs "knocked down" you could always use the 72D deck raised to its highest position and knocked down the weeds. Then lower the deck, and finish mow the area. The only problem I see with this approach is not knowing what is in the field like rocks, bicycles, cable, pile of bricks etc. etc. Don't ask how I know about finding a bicycle in our abandoned field.

When we first bought this property (10 acres) we attempted to get the former owner to bush hog the fields for us. He came and after a few passes, said it was too much for his large old 2 wheel drive tractor w/bush hog, and had to go back home and get his 4 wheel drive tractor. He wanted $50 for what he had done, and said it probably cost me another $150 to finish the mowing with his 4 wheel drive tractor. My wife looked at what needed to be done, and climbed onto our then L118 John Deere lawn tractor, she started to cut. It took 3 days, but she finished and after two passes it was looking really nice. He couldn't believe my wife was mowing what he had just told me was too much for his tractor couldn't do.
That is actually how I knocked down what is on the 5 acres I have now. I just used my X475 with the 62" deck and made 2 passes. One with the deck up and one with the deck lowered. I did get it down in one day though. No one lived on the property for about 6 months so the grass and weeds were 3 ft high when I got here.

I for sure would use the bush hog on the new property, but I am thinking I would use it more down in the woods from time to time to keep that cleared out.

Ok, you got me. I just trying to come up with a good excuse to buy another implement!

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
SwiftDeere LOL! It (buying implements) can be addicting. Ensoll (MTF Member)is making me a set of pallet forks.:thThumbsU

·
Only Green For Me!
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Local Tractor Supply has a brand new 5ft CountryLine brand bush hog that has been sitting on their lot for about a year. Again it is brand new, but has a bit of surface rust on it from sitting out in the weather. Regular price is $799 and guy at the store told me tonight he would sell it to me for $639 with pto shaft and full warranty.

There is a new 4ft sitting right beside it at $749. That 5 footer just looks like a monster sitting beside the 4 footer. Seems like a good deal on the 5 ft unit, but still just worried that it is too big for my 2520.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Local Tractor Supply has a brand new 5ft CountryLine brand bush hog that has been sitting on their lot for about a year. Again it is brand new, but has a bit of surface rust on it from sitting out in the weather. Regular price is $799 and guy at the store told me tonight he would sell it to me for $639 with pto shaft and full warranty.

There is a new 4ft sitting right beside it at $749. That 5 footer just looks like a monster sitting beside the 4 footer. Seems like a good deal on the 5 ft unit, but still just worried that it is too big for my 2520.
I wouldn't so much worry about it being too big for your tractor as to how hard it would be to maneuver.

If you are going to be brushhogging in and around trees, I'd say smaller is better. It's bad enough moving around with something firmly attached 6 feet behind your tractor, than add trees, stumps.. and the width of the mower it gets exponentially more difficult. Oh and don't forget cars.. it seems car doors are MAGNETS for brush hogs and tow behind finish mowers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts