My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have heard much speculation about if and how a front PTO drive is possible on a Gravely 24G tractor. Below is one answer to that question.
Here is my tractor, just in from cutting the grass.

This is the enormous 72 inch deck, just removed so I can install the front PTO.

There are a few unique things about a 24G front PTO. One is that the shaft that goes through the front axle is longer than normal, with the extra length going out the back. Here's a shot of a regular shaft along side the shaft for the 24G.

I did not need to make any changes or adjustments to the steering system to install and operate the front PTO.

On the front of the tractor you will notice that the attachment brackets are about 2 inches wider and that they are installed reversed with the swinging lock on the outside. They are the same size as stock Gravely brackets. I use a set that have been reinforced for operating a 48 inch snow blower. The only thing special about the snow blower is that the mounting bracket is wider... and maybe a little taller due the larger tire size. I'll measure and compare that later.

Because the 24G has an external PTO clutch and faster PTO speed, this system uses a speed reducer. Notice the bell and strap clutch above the PTO output shaft; and the steering brake cross shaft below. The cross shaft on the small G tractor goes above the PTO, but on the 24G there is no room because of the external clutch.

The PTO speed reducer is all gear driven and has a 2:1 ratio. Two rotations in gives one rotation out. Here is the front of it setting on the bench.

Here's the back of the speed reducer that mounts against the tractor transmission. Notice that it does not have a quick shaft disconnect.

The speed reducer is held in place with a small U clamp around the steering brake cross shaft.

Here is a close up of the part number embossed in the case. This is the only number I could find.

The drive shaft is nothing special. It is actually the same size and length as the drive shaft on my 8122.

The extra tractor length is made up by the depth of the speed reducer and the longer shaft through the front axle.

There is no interference with any of the steering components. The snow blower I have is still in the shed. It will be out before the snow and I'll post more pictures then.

Here is a Gravely 24G that is under restoration.

By spring time it will be looking as good as new. I have another 24G tractor that's rough and may get scavenged for parts. The neat thing is that the power steering and steering brakes are almost a bolt on exchange to a regular G-Series tractor. That makes operating a snow blower or front end loader quite nice.

All the best,
Tom

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Re: The $64,000 Question... here's an answer.

Tom, great pictorial and explanation. Anyone looking to mount a front pto onto a 24G will find this information very valuable.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts

Great photo series. I don't have a G but I still found it very informative.

Does this thread need to be made a sticky? Chime in if you think so. My vote it that yes it does, but I want to hear from the rest of you too.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts

Great photo series. I don't have a G but I still found it very informative.

Does this thread need to be made a sticky? Chime in if you think so. My vote it that yes it does, but I want to hear from the rest of you too.
Vote for sticking it.

As for the gearbox, a 2:1 ratio would drop the RPM to 900. That would drop the input to the snowblower to less than the normal speed for the 48". Normal input speed is 1200 RPM. Did they change the belt drive on the blower too?

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts

Vote for sticking it.
I agree, it deserves to be sticky, but I advocate putting the stickies into a separate subforum, called "Stickies" or "FAQs" or something. The more stickies, the more stuff I have to scroll past.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Vote for sticking it.

As for the gearbox, a 2:1 ratio would drop the RPM to 900. That would drop the input to the snowblower to less than the normal speed for the 48". Normal input speed is 1200 RPM. Did they change the belt drive on the blower too?
Don,
There are no belts involved. I don't have a picture of the blower running on the tractor... yet. Mostly because I'm doing the driving.

This is what the snow blower looks like:

I'll have some actual photos of mine running shortly... now where can I find some deep snow...

I also have an older 44 inch MA 2xx snow blower that I think does a better job because the blower drum is much larger. But for it to work, I would need to weld up some modified brackets.

All the best,
Tom

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Looks like a 48886 or 833006 snowblower then. Does it have the Model and Serial Number sticker on it.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,922 Posts

I agree, it deserves to be sticky, but I advocate putting the stickies into a separate subforum, called "Stickies" or "FAQs" or something. The more stickies, the more stuff I have to scroll past.
I agree 100%. There are a couple of forums that I no longer visit because the first couple of pages are just stickies.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Wow.

Just wow.

For a Gravely addict, this thread is gonna be like heroin or crack cocaine or crystal meth.

Thanks a lot - all my old Gravely dreams and fantasies just got shown to be the small-time bush-league two-bit aspirations that they were all along.

Next thing you know, someone's gonna do this for the 9000 GMT.

Ugh.

But seriously - these are some truly awesome pictures and explanations.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow.

Thanks a lot - all my old Gravely dreams and fantasies just got shown to be the small-time bush-league two-bit aspirations that they were all along.

Next thing you know, someone's gonna do this for the 9000 GMT.
Actually, this same system is how it is done on the GMT 9000. I almost bought one last spring that came with a McKee SnoLander 320 snow blower. It also had a PTO speed reducer that was just a bit larger than the one shown in this thread. But one big difference is that the drive shaft ran under the front axle instead of through it. I had a couple pictures of it that I'll look for. It was designed to fit the tractor, but I think all the components were non-Gravely.

On the GMT 9000, it used a hydraulic line and motor to control the direction of the blower chute.

Tom

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like a 48886 or 833006 snowblower then. Does it have the Model and Serial Number sticker on it.
It doesn't currently have any tags or stickers. Are the number stamped on it anywhere that could help to identify the model? I'll look when it get it out.

Tom

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
It doesn't currently have any tags or stickers. Are the number stamped on it anywhere that could help to identify the model? I'll look when it get it out.

Tom
If an early model, it might have the model on one of the safety stickers or can be figured out from there. Late moder units have a tag with Model and Serial Number on them. Early units would have Serial Number only on a sticker. White sticker with black lettering. Should be found on the frame.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr. Popper, do you happen to have the Owner's manual or IPL for that beast?
I was hoping some of the Gravely Guys on this forum might be able to come up with some documentation on this.

If no information can be found or reported on the PTO speed reducer shown in this setup, there are alternatives. If you want to find one. Go to Hub City:

http://www.hubcityinc.com/standard_products.html#geardrives

Look at the Parallel Shaft Drives => Double Reduction

If you look in this PDF file, you will find a variety of Models starting on page 28.

http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6f-ParallelShaftDrives.pdf

Hub City also has PTO spline adapters and coupling to get it all connected. I have no idea what their pricing is.

http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6q-FarmProductsandAccessories.pdf

With these options and a bit of welding to narrow the front attachment brackets, you could put virtually any Gravely attachment on the Front of a 24G. Now, I'm eyeball-in' my power broom and rotary plow.

Tom

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I was hoping some of the Gravely Guys on this forum might be able to come up with some documentation on this.

If no information can be found or reported on the PTO speed reducer shown in this setup, there are alternatives. If you want to find one. Go to Hub City:

http://www.hubcityinc.com/standard_products.html#geardrives

Look at the Parallel Shaft Drives => Double Reduction

If you look in this PDF file, you will find a variety of Models starting on page 28.

http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6f-ParallelShaftDrives.pdf

Hub City also has PTO spline adapters and coupling to get it all connected. I have no idea what their pricing is.

http://www.hubcityinc.com/documents/6q-FarmProductsandAccessories.pdf

With these options and a bit of welding to narrow the front attachment brackets, you could put virtually any Gravely attachment on the Front of a 24G. Now, I'm eyeball-in' my power broom and rotary plow.

Tom
I rum a power broom on the front of the 35-G at the same RPM as comes out of your tranny. Also have run a Comm 40 on the front. The belts on the Comm 40 will smoke but the engine won't stall in tall grass at 2700 RPM. Any faster and the deck sounds like a twin prop plane getting ready to take off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts