My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead3:banghead3 :banghead3 Decisions, decisions 24g came up forsale near me,I want it but runing out of room,might have to sell some of the toys to make room for it.I always wanted a 24g but could not find one so i settled for a 20g instead but now ?????.The guy wants $3250 for it and it has 1293hrs on it and is in great shape.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would keep the 20g,would try to sell my cub cadet 129,8122g,and my be my 5665 commercial,but how the economy is nothing is really selling,I have the money to buy it but theres another project I am working on that will be on the back burners for a while,and no more OT at work,.But I really want it and the wife said she doesn't care as long she can use it to cut with and i use the small tractor
:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Those 24G's are just space hogs, can't imagine why you would want one!!

Font Photography Logo

NOW, where EXACTLY is that 24G located!!!???:dunno:

:drunkie:

Go get it, you only go around once in life!!

:bananapow We are cheering for you!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I would keep the 20g,would try to sell my cub cadet 129,8122g,and my be my 5665 commercial,but how the economy is nothing is really selling,I have the money to buy it but theres another project I am working on that will be on the back burners for a while,and no more OT at work,.But I really want it and the wife said she doesn't care as long she can use it to cut with and i use the small tractor
:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3:banghead3
Sell one of your vehicles and drive the 24G around instead :D

·
Super Moderator
13,887 Posts
:banghead3:banghead3 :banghead3 Decisions, decisions 24g came up forsale near me,I want it but runing out of room,might have to sell some of the toys to make room for it.I always wanted a 24g but could not find one so i settled for a 20g instead but now ?????.The guy wants $3250 for it and it has 1293hrs on it and is in great shape.
This tractor was offered at $4K by the same seller awhile ago. Good Luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its that or I been keeping an eye on a John deere 430 diesel that a freind has and thinking of selling.I know its a GREEN but from what I been reading,they are one **** of a tractor :banghead3:banghead3

·
Gravely Model L Guy
464 Posts
Its that or I been keeping an eye on a John deere 430 diesel that a freind has and thinking of selling.I know its a GREEN but from what I been reading,they are one **** of a tractor :banghead3:banghead3
The John Deer 430 is a great tractor! I would snap it up if I were you!

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
$3250 is not a bad price but you have to have 2 or more acres to really utilize it. That 72" deck makes short work of a lawn and gives a better quality of cut than the 50" deck.

·
Premium Member
8,841 Posts
I don't have the specs on the 60" deck but one reason that the 72" deck gives a better cut over the 50" deck is the blade tip speed. The 50" deck has a blade tip speed of about 15,000 SFPM. The 72" deck is around 17,000 SFPM. Legal max is 20,000 SFPM.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,783 Posts
As cool as the 24G is, the 430 is probably easier to use for more tasks. The Yanmar is a solid motor and Diesel is hands down better than even a big Onan. The other thing is the 430 is more likely to find parts readily. Not many will say it but I will, the 24G is a one trick toy. If all you want to do is mow grass fast, it's your machine. Also remember how many things are one off Gravely for it.

I know I'll get blown out of the water for this but you are asking for opinions and that's the one I'm going to stick with.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I don't have the specs on the 60" deck but one reason that the 72" deck gives a better cut over the 50" deck is the blade tip speed. The 50" deck has a blade tip speed of about 15,000 SFPM. The 72" deck is around 17,000 SFPM. Legal max is 20,000 SFPM.
SFPM is probably why our neighbor had a beautiful lawn.

He had a 28" cut push mower in the 1960's, direct connected to the engine.

Probably ran >25,000 SFPM!!

Ah, the good old days!! :fing32:

·
10,825 Posts
As cool as the 24G is, the 430 is probably easier to use for more tasks. The Yanmar is a solid motor and Diesel is hands down better than even a big Onan.
And, unfortunately, fuel consumption is something to consider. Maybe not for the $$, but maybe convenience. The 430 was JD's largest GT offering at it's time of manufacture, but also its most fuel efficient. That tank of fuel lasts a long time.

fuel consumption at 1/2 load - at full load:

JD 430 - 0.4 GPH - 0.9 GPH

But that JD don't have no 72" deck!

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
And, unfortunately, fuel consumption is something to consider. Maybe not for the $$, but maybe convenience. The 430 was JD's largest GT offering at it's time of manufacture, but also its most fuel efficient. That tank of fuel lasts a long time.

fuel consumption at 1/2 load - at full load:

JD 430 - 0.4 GPH - 0.9 GPH

But that JD don't have no 72" deck!
I burn less than 1gph in my 24G (not much less), probably because it is a gear drive compared to the 430's hydro drive.

That's pulling the 72" deck!!

I have never used a more fuel efficient mower than the 24G.

Especially when considering acres per gallon.

I love my unitasker!! :fing32:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.