My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad's neighbor has a 240 that he parked about 3 years ago. Needs alot of TLC, alot of surface rust set in etc. I asked if he wanted to sell it, he got a new LA 105 last year and he loves it. He said the 240 does not engage into gear that is why he parked it. I asked for a price and he said make him an offer. While I was standing there he got on it and fired it right up. Only a small amout of smoke, and I assume that was from sitting.Started right up and has not been run for months.
He didn't abuse it except for leaving it outside, he mows about 1.5 acres of level ground. No towing or plowing.
Is it worth getting?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Herd of Deere,s Thank you. Is there and easy way to find out which problem?
Thanks, bill

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Easy way? Not that I can think of. I would start by dropping (removing) the mower deck and take a crawl underneath to inspect the drive belt and gear shift linkage. I believe it should have a two pulley idler on the drive belt that tensions the belt when the clutch is out. If that is not working correctly it would be hard to shift into gear. LittleTractorGuy had a problem on his 160 where a drive belt that was too short had been installed causing hard shifting. If the linkage to the shifter arm on the transaxle is honked up that could cause it. Or blown shift keys inside the transaxle. 200 series were not known for weak transaxles like the 100s though so that might be a lesser probability. Sorry - I know that's not easy. But the smoke on startup is easier - all of my Kawaskis on my 100's do it and it clears in a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Will it shift into gear? I know that transmission had an interlock likage that wouldn't let you shift unless the clutch was depressed. If this was goofed up, you would not be able to move the shifter.

If it does shift into gear, and you release the clutch and nothing happens, check the drive belt. You may be able to view the belt through the rear of the frame or maybe from the wheelwell.

If the belt is turning, and you've still got no-go, it could be internal to the trans. I think those hubs were keyed to the axle shafts. If you loose a key, it won't go.

·
Super Moderator
32,636 Posts
I might go a little more for a 240 say offer $400 or $500, even if you have to put the same amount in you've got a great tractor for a low price. Plus if it's running good you can easily part it out for way more than you paid if it's a high dollar repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts