My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Been lurking for a while, great forum and information. I currently mow 2/3 acre with a gentle slope from front to back (drops about 18’ over the 300’ length ). My property is lined with oaks and I have many leaves and acorns to pick up every fall; lawn/grass needs some TLC and I don’t have a sprinkler because I don’t want to tax the well. Looking to use a bagger to help pick up the leaves and keep clippings out of the pool. After doing my research here, online and at the dealers I thought I had made my decision to go with a Husqvarna 23V42LS. I found 2 dealers w demo’s (2-3 hrs) $3,000 including power bagger and delivery. The machine felt good and I liked the fab deck, vanguard engine and locking diff. Question or concern I have is with the bagger/blower units. One dealer tried to steer me away and I have seen here on the forum that others are having issues with leveling the deck, chewing belts etc. To be honest, I am not mechanically inclined and do not have time to fool with things that don’t work. So, I am now leaning towards a Deere X300 ($300 off) or even a 2009 2146XLS thinking that I am less likely to have issues with a non blower bagger. For you dealers, am I being too cautious with the new fab deck and blower unit issues /problems ?? Also, I have no plans to use for snow or other attachments other than a cart for mulch. Looked at the Simplicity but just don’t care for the stripe like so many do. No Massey dealers within 30 miles. Any thoughts comments appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey MTF
I'm not a dealer, but I have some experience with the blower bagger on the fab deck models.
I had a YTH22V42LS with the fab deck and the blower system. Really great tractor and the deck is very heavy duty. But I had problems with the bagger not working correctly. The belt for it wasn't connected when they delivered it ( a dealer issue), and the cover for the bagger wouldn't seal properly causing clippings to blow all over me and the tractor and everything else we got near. My dealer had two other baggers in stock and couldn't get one to fit right. A call from him to Husqvarna (supposedly) resulted in them saying they realize they're having issues with these fab deck baggers.

Anyway, between those problems and a couple of others, I exchanged that tractor for the next one down in the LS line, the YTH22V46XLS. It seems to be a very good tractor also. It doesn't have the fab deck, but it does have a reinforced deck and the other LS extras. Plus the bagger is a normal bagger...just lift the side shoot deflector and snap it in place. No belts to attach and unattach. Plus, since I used both on my property, I can honestly say the non-powered bagger works just as well at picking up grass clippings and light debris as the powered version. I have a large oak that the squirrels chew off twigs with leaves on them because I have some disease on the tree and drop them to the ground. Both tractors picked up the leaves very well.
Also, I think I noticed a decrease in power with the powered bagger system than without. Both had the same engine, but obviously having a powered bagger run off your engine power will decrease it's output.
In my experience, I would stay away from the powered bagger. Others on this forum may disagree, but my experience with them was not good. Just my opinion. I don't think Husqvarna perfected the system yet.
As far as the limited slip tranny, while a nice feature, it doesn't seem like you need one necessarily. Just make sure you check the air pressure in the tires when you receive it. My first tractor was delivered with more than double the recommended pressure in the tires and it was losing traction all over the place till I figured it out.
Hope I helped you out a little. Good luck with your decision and keep us informed with what you choose.

·
Registered
112 Posts
hey MTF
Just my opinion. I don't think Husqvarna perfected the system yet.

Good luck with your decision and keep us informed with what you choose.

Deere did! I run my uncles 757 deere zero turns with a powerflow and they will suck up water, leaves, and grass! We can bag in the pouring down rain! I know the 757 deere is totally different than what your looking at. I too had a fabricated deck husky 26v48ls and power bagger. It was ok. Did not have any adjustment issues when I set it as the manual stated. But the pulley on the deck would cut into the foot rest plate when the deck hit a high spot (floating) I could not bag damp grass. Not many baggers can. It would pick up 80% of the grass it cut off. Plus damp grass would plug up no matter how slow you would go.

The problem with these fab decks are they have no vacuum! I am used to having stamped decks and when I happen to mow over a small stick they suck the stick up and grind it up. The fab deck just mow's over the stick and lets it lay.

Your money your choice!

·
Registered
86 Posts
MTF Fan... Itotally agree with Kevlm on his new tractor.I also had a GTH26V48LS with the powerflow bagger and what a piece of crap. Took back and got a YTH2246XLS and what a fantastic tractor ,also their is so much vacuum with the air induction deck it picks up everything and blows in the bagger excellant.I live in the woods and cut around 2 acres and it picks up all the acorns and pine cones no problem at all. Save yourself some money and alot of headaches,DON'T BUY THE POWERFLOW SYSTEM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts