My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figure I need some input from the knowledgeable ones ? Found both of the above tractors; with cx fel's, both are 4x4's. $500.00 difference between the two tractors. Uses for the tractor will be land and trail clearing, land leveling with scrape box, fel work for moving snow and dirt. Using the bucket or pallet forks for lifting and moving things. Tractor will not be used to mow. I guess what I need to know is either one better suited to what I want to do with it ? What are the major differences between the two ? Weight, HP Difference, Transmission. I Know that the 2320 has 12.5" front axle clearance, not sure about the 3005 as it's not listed. Would think that the 3005 would have more clearance due to larger tires. How much of a pain would the manual trans of the 3005 be over the 2320's hydrostat trans for what I want to do with the tractors? The 3005 should have a higher lifting capacity with the fel/forks than the 2320, shouldn't it ? Am I missing anything or any other things that might sway my decision ? Thanks Clinton

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ya-ya. I was jumping back and forth between those two sheets trying to compare them. The specs are only half the equation(the only thing I can understand and see the difference lol)Just don't have enough experience running tractors. Need some guys that got a little more seat time and experience with tractors to help with some input. Is the manual transmission going to be a pain or is it better suited to what I want to do(with the tractor) ? Will one out shine the other with what I want to do with it ? Is bigger,heavier, more hp better ? Or will that just mean I will be able to do it faster ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
CountryBoy....

Here are my thoughts, given my limited experience...

Given the tasks that you have described, the 3005 will outshine the 2320 in all respects but one.

The 3005 has more HP, more clearance, more responsive and powerful hydraulics, more weight...

The one thing that the 2320 offers is the Hydro... If you plan on doing a lot of FEL work, the hydro is really nice to have... (Although, people have been using FELs with gear tractors for decades. )

It's a really though call, and I wouldn’t want to be in your shoes :)

GC

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I agree with GreenCanadian. One thought, have you thought about going up
in the series 3000 to get the hydro?

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
CB,

Ditto the above advice. Have you looked at these tractors? They are vastly different sized. Since you have no mid mount mower needs, you should also look at the 3120 (deluxe) and the 3203, 3032E, and 3038E. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured that if I went up in the 3000 series to get the hydro it would be another jump in cost. Which I don't want to spend more than what i can get the 2320 or the 3005 for. Spend the money on attachments rather than on just the tractor to get the hydrostat in the 3000 series too. Just wondered if it's worth the 500.00 to get the 3005 and would I be happier in the long run. 2320 will do everything I need and I can get the hydrostat. My property will be 2.5 to 5 acres in size. Friends properties around me are the same size(be helping them out = more seat time and fun). Unfortunately the dealers that are local don't carry everything that we're talking about. Would have to travel a few hours to see the ones he doesn't have. Try to narrow the tractors down before I have to go to multiple dealers to see everything. Is it hard to learn to run a manual geared tractor ? All my toys and vehicles are manual trans and I prefer manual over automatic ? Don't have experience with tractors and need input.

·
9K+ Poster
12,163 Posts
CB,

Some of the tractors I mentioned (except the 3120) wouldn't cost all that much more.

As for the gear vs. hydro, I had my 2210 at our church and a friend had his 770 (really the same as the 790/3005) and we had several yards of topsoil to move and spread. Even though the 770 had a bigger bucket and could carry more weight (and had faster hydraulics) my 2210 was almost twice as productive vs. having to clutch/shift and work the joystick. I think it may be worth the drive just to try out some of these tractors to see what is best for you. :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hi CB,
What part of BC are you from? When you say clearing trails and land, are you in mountainous / hilly areas?.., lots of boulders? The reason I ask, and I cannot remember the physical size of the 3005 off hand, but if it is stouter, it may be more suited to rougher terrain and more stable on hillsides.
If you are not doing lots of "forward to reverse" loader work, the 3005 will do. As for operating a standard tractor, not much difference than a vehicle except you don't start out in low and shift through the speeds to travel down the road for example. You just put it in the gear you think you want to use, then stay there. To switch to another gear, you have to stop, and clutch, and switch gears.

Good Luck,
Jake

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'll echo the suggestion to look at the 3032e, it's very similar to the 3005 spec wise but with a hydro. the loader is permanently mounted, but it doesn't sound like that would be an issue. price wise they are very close.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NJ, I live on the rock. Gently slopping, some areas. Nothing steep, not mountainous an not alot of boulders. One thing that I should also say is that it has to be able to put a BH on at a later date(rent/borrow/buy) That should eliminate a few of the 3000 series tractors. Manual gears sound like they could be a bit of a pain should I have to do alot of fel work in smaller confinements/areas. Trying to look at all aspects and make the right choice the first time around. I really appreciate all the input and keep it coming.

·
USAF Retired
158 Posts
Is the land wide open or will you be running through tight areas? 2320 should be more nimble than the 3005.
:050:
Troy

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I 2320 will do everything I need and I can get the hydrostat. My property will be 2.5 to 5 acres in size. Friends properties around me are the same size(be helping them out = more seat time and fun).

The 2320 gets my vote. My 2305 maintains my 5 acre property with no issues.:thThumbsU

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to check out the local dealer here pretty quickly. I know he's got a 2320 :greendr: for sure. We'll see what else he's got when I start walking around. phyxer, nothing a chainsaw wouldn't cure if it gets to tight or a pain in the butt to maneuver around.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

The 3005 is a heavier tractor than the 2320. For work in the woods over rough terrain I would think it would be a better choice. I don't know about the gear tranny, never had one.

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts