My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was mowing this evening and the engine in my little 2320 started to act up. Hopefully someone smarter than than me will have any easy fix before I load it up and take it to the dealer.

Here's what happened: After mowing for 3-4 hrs. with no trouble, I started mowing a portion on a slight grade. The tractor would mow fine down hill but as I would turn around at the bottom and start back up the hill, the engine would bog way down and sometimes even stall. It did this consistently for about 8-9 passes. (motor otherwise sounded great, 3000 rpms, no smoke)

I thought maybe a fuel filter would help. Changed it. No fix.
Checked air filter. Looks good with only about 40 hrs. on it.
Added fuel even though the gauge shows half full. No fix. :banghead3

The only other time I got it to act up was driving back up the hill in high range it bogged down quickly but letting of the hydro kept it from stalling.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I sure could use some help. It almost feels like when the governor should open the throttle it just falls on it's face.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Mike

(PS) just thought of this... Earlier this week as I was preparing to till my garden, I backed the tractor out of the barn on level ground to let it warm up for a minute. I got off and had only walked about 20 feet and it died. I looked at the fuel gauge and it showed just a hair above empty. (I've run it lower than that in the past.) I tried to restart it but it just cranked. I added some fuel and cranked it over several more times and it started right up. Tilled the garden and thought all was well.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Green4me

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I would have done the exact steps you have already done also. I'm not sure what to suggest.... have you called the dealer yet? Maybe someone with some diesel knowledge will jump in here soon. Good luck and please let us know what you find out. :fing32:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to call the dealer this a.m. If it is going to have problems, I'm glad it did it under warranty.

I'll post when I find out more.

mike

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Green4Me,

Sorry to hear that. It sure sounds like a filter/contaminant issue, but I'm no mechanic. Let us know what your dealer says.

·
USAF Retired
158 Posts
Is there any chance that each time you started up the hill that your weight on the seat shifted in such a manner that the seat safety switch caused the engine to stall? Only thing that comes to my simple mind :confused:

Troy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Todays update...

I called the dealer this morning and told him what was going on. He couldn't provide any help over the phone other than telling me that they have very little trouble with the Yanmar diesels and that he would be glad to look at it.

I decided this evening to see if I could duplicate the problem. ( I hate to take to the dealer and it not act up.)

Here's what I found: At lower rpms (2500 or below) everything seems good. I pulled it up against a phone pole in 4wd to try to bog the motor but it felt strong. (I didn't try to kill it!)

I then found how to make it act up everytime. At 3000 rpms, while traveling in high range with hydro all the way (on a black top road), it will sound fine for about 15-20 sec. and then the motor just shuts down. It's doesn't even sound like the motor has a load on it when motor does this. I'm with some of you, it sounds like it's running out of fuel but with fuel in the tank and a new filter it should be good to go.

I think I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask when I can bring it in. I don't know what else to check.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

mike

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
I've had this exact same problem in a car, which turned out to be a faulty fuel pump......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike
I HAD A ISSUE LIKE THAT ON MY 2305 IT TURNED OUT THE BOLTS THAT HOLD ON THE FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY WERE LOSE. IT WAS TAKING IN TOO MUCH AIR TIGHTEND THEM UP AND NOT A PROBLEM SINCE. HOPE YOUR PROBLEM TURNS OUT TO BE AS SIMPLE.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mike
I HAD A ISSUE LIKE THAT ON MY 2305 IT TURNED OUT THE BOLTS THAT HOLD ON THE FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY WERE LOSE. IT WAS TAKING IN TOO MUCH AIR TIGHTEND THEM UP AND NOT A PROBLEM SINCE. HOPE YOUR PROBLEM TURNS OUT TO BE AS SIMPLE.
Which bolts are you talking about? The ones that actually hold the fuel filter in place?

mike

Edit: I looked at my filter and there is only one bolt that holds the filter on and it wasn't overly tight. I tightened it maybe aa quarter turn and tried it.
Problem still exists.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mike

I bet this guy nailed it for ya. Its a fuel delivery problem of some kind, and this seems pretty likely if your fuel filter is new and clean. You might also check to see if the pickup in the bottom of the tank is blocked by a big chunk of something?

Thad

Edit: Didnt read your edit :banghead3 , was hoping that was your problem as its a easy fix. Hope you get this figured out buddy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called the dealer this morning and talked to the service manager. He kinda thought it sounded like a fuel issue as well.

Long story short.... she goes in the shop Tue. or Wed. of next week.

I'll let you guys know when I hear something new.

Thanks for all the replys.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Good luck. I know it must be frustrating! Ah... the joys of owning machinery! :fing20: :ROF

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Dropped off the tractor at the dealer Tuesday afternoon. Service manager said it would later this week or first of next before he would know something. (hay season here, they were swamped). Hopefully it'll be something simple and QUICK.... the grass seems to have started growing twice as fast.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I was reading older posts and was curious what fixed this problem of yours. In case this happens to others, your answer may be beneficial. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts