My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the other day after the wife did some mowing, she parked the tractor and we did some other chores and in abt 2hr the 62D deck dropped a couple inches. Also noticed when I had the disks on it that with the engine idling the 3pt would drop just slightly and then lift itself, this was cyclic abt every 5 sec. I talked to the service manager and he said there is a spec for hyd creep even though he disagrees with it, but the cyclic thing was not normal and so because I have the tractor in town today getting tubes and calcium in the rears he said to drop it off and they will check it over as it may be something as simple as an adj. I sure like my dealer though, he said don't worry abt picking it up... we will have someone drop it off at your place when we are done. It's a 25km trip one way, very nice to be treated like one of the big guns who spend 100's of thousands.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
saskman49

Hopfully it will turn out to be a simple fix. That is good to hear that you have a dealer like that. I'm sure many folks would like to have a better dealer. :fing32:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well they brought it home on Friday after testing it overnight. Oh course the deck only dropped an inch and I watched it running on Fri with a till hung off the 3pt and rock solid so what do you do. Then Sat I ran it for abt 2 hrs spraying, came back to the quonset and there it was with just an empty sprayer hung off the 3pt doing the cycle thing every 7 to 10 sec it would bump the hitch up. Then the wife went mowing and afet abt 3hrs of mowing we left it sit but he house with the deck up and lo and behold it was on the ground in just over an hour. So the hyd definatly are sick on the thing. It has 37 hrs on it now so tomorrow I will drop in and let them know it needs a doctor just needs to be run for a couple hrs to get it to act up. Isn't that gonna be a fun one to get a dealer to do to replicate the problems.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

I have never heard mine do that cycling thing. I have about 85hrs now but I don't have a mower deck. I think I am going to order the tech manual so I have access to all the specs and troubleshooting information. Hopefully your dealer will listen to you when you tell them that it takes a couple hours for the problem to develope. That fact may be a clue to them for troubleshooting as well. I usually write a note to "JD Technician" and stick it to the machine hoping the guy who works on it will get the message. I do this with my cars as well and it seems to help when you have problems that are intermittent or hard to describe. It does sound like you have a good dealer but you need to make sure the guy working on the machine gets the message.

Brian

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
Its hot oil doing it. My 6300 does that.. BUT i am not going to spend more to fix it then i did to buy it used. It can cycle all it wants. I never leave stuff hanging in the air when i park anyhow. Thats gotta be doing something to the system when the pump is turned off.. Just my two cents. Its under warranty .. I WOULD get them to look at it.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its hot oil doing it. My 6300 does that.. BUT i am not going to spend more to fix it then i did to buy it used. It can cycle all it wants. I never leave stuff hanging in the air when i park anyhow. Thats gotta be doing something to the system when the pump is turned off.. Just my two cents. Its under warranty .. I WOULD get them to look at it.
I don't leave stuff up either, this is just a test because of the problems that we seem to be having. This was just noticed because of the cycling problem and that was just by chance I discovered that when I got off for a minute to get a drink the wife brought out for me. As the service manager said on Fri..."We will make sure it's fixed if it shows up again". I am going up there right away and talk to them abt it so I guess we will see.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

I have never heard mine do that cycling thing. I have about 85hrs now but I don't have a mower deck. I think I am going to order the tech manual so I have access to all the specs and troubleshooting information. Hopefully your dealer will listen to you when you tell them that it takes a couple hours for the problem to develope. That fact may be a clue to them for troubleshooting as well. I usually write a note to "JD Technician" and stick it to the machine hoping the guy who works on it will get the message. I do this with my cars as well and it seems to help when you have problems that are intermittent or hard to describe. It does sound like you have a good dealer but you need to make sure the guy working on the machine gets the message.

Brian

Thanks Brian,

I was talking with the tech, the service manager, the service desk guy and the salesman on Fri in the shop with the tractor running. They are are all concerned and want to make it right. I guess we will see if they earn the rating of of one of the top 5 and dealers in Canada in my books over the next few days. Interesting side note, when I dropped it off I was in the rear yard and there were 10 brand new 9770 combines, 2 new 9630T tractors and I stopped counting the other combines in the used yard at 24, plus a couple of the big sprayer units. This was all in the back, around front was where all the small tractors like the 4 and 5 series are parked and then another area for Gators, GT's and CUTS.

All in All a pretty cool place to go if you are a big machine junkie like me.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

It sounds like you have a good dealer. Given that they sell a lot of very big and expensive equipment it is impressive that they are looking after your concerns for your small tractor. Of course this is the service you deserve and should expect from a JD dealer but all too often it seems it is not the case. My dealer is also very good at going the extra mile for customers.
Let us know what they find out.

Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is nice to deal with them, they are going to come out and pick it up later in the week as I need it for some moving tasks (need it to move my table saw and barbeques as they are all over 300lbs), I discussed the problems with the manager and they will load up the hyd system and run it for a couple hrs then check the 3pt out. So I just need to wait and see..

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well,

The dealer picked the tractor up last Thurs so the tech could get at it first thing monday am. (Long story but the short is, it is really hard to find good techs around here and the one super tech they have was off due to surgery so they waited till he came back as they didn't want a rookie playing with my tractor.. I can get a bit anal when people try and BS or screw me around and somehow that has got around town here so seems they didn't want me getting unhappy, we were going camping on Friday am so I told them to pick it up so it would be there first thing) So Monday he ran it and couldn't find anything and called the house at supper and we talked for over 1/2hr abt it and yesterday after conferencing with Deere's engineering people then running it with the hyd loaded and almost 700lbs on the 3pt for almost 4hrs it failed.. There is a bad valve in the hyd system that is on order and will be in Friday.. So they are pretty good in my book. The service manager was at the point just before it failed that he was going to send the tractor home and the next time I was going to work it hard to call and he was going to send the tech out to the farm to observe the tractor and be there when it failed..

That is what I call customer service.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Great service Saskman.
It is really hard to get a proper diagnosis of problems like this. I recently bought the tech. manual for the 2320 and it is well worth the 50$ if you are going to do any work yourself. I managed to break my parking brake linkage by forcing it when it was frozen last winter at 5:30 AM when I needed to plow the driveway to get to work. The manual will pay for itself in this one repair, as abuse would not be covered under warranty.

Brian

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Brian,

I will probably get the manual at some point as there are things I would like to know abt how they are connected and used so I can make some things for the tractor like my electric diverter valves as I really want a complete set of remotes out the back and of course being lazy and liking techno toys is the driving force.. well that and the need to get the chute control hooked up for the blower before the white stuff arrives, which by the way it feels here these past couple days could be next week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts