My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight hydraulic drip/leak from the rear of my tractor.. This has been going on since like July and I havent really worried about it because it has been so slight, but with the tractor not being needed now I thought I would 'tear into it' and find the source..

Previously I have removed the seat and fairings around the seat but still cant see the leak.. So want/need to remove the floorboard to get a view at the area it appears to be leaking from..

So far I have removed the brake/hyrdo pedals and bolts holding the floorboard down, I also have the dash loose (both top and bottom piece) - I THINK i need to get the lower dash loose from the parking brake and cruise control so it will come up to allow the floorboard to slide out..

Any suggestions or experience with the floorboard removal?

thanks

b

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Its been a year since I removed mine, but to best of my old memory, you need to remove the hydraulic hose holder on the right floorboard, the fluid control knob that is just under the seat, and the 4 wheel lock peddle. I lifted mine from the back of the floor sliding it out from under the plastic flaring. I also loosened the flaring to help the removal. It doesn't just slide out. You need to pry it a bit here and there.

Once you get it off, don't forget to grease the engine drive shaft u joints. They are a bugger to get to, but really really expensive to replace if they fail.

Good luck and take plenty of pictures. Let us know what you find, OK?

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my 2320 with the floor removed. Note the transmission U-joint. The one at the other end of the drive shaft is the hard one to get to.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I got it off yesterday afternoon with a little blood, sweat, cussing and a long screwdriver.. I had already removed the brake/transmission pedals and other stuff..

I needed the screwdriver to push the lower part of the dashboard so that the floorboard would get by it.. After I got that done, it was wiggle, jiggle, pull, grunt until it came free..

Still dont see the source of my leak - but it appears there is some oozing on behind where the transmission pedals connect to the transmission.. it almost looks like the bolts/seals are oozing fluid under pressure..

I cleaned everything off and now tomorrow I am going to run it and see if i cna find the source of the leak..

Brian

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
Good job! It goes back together easier than it comes off.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE - ran the tractor for about 3 hrs this morning before it started to leak.. So now i can find the leak, but dont know how to fix it..

In the first pic above you see a gold rod that goes from the pedals to the right side (as you're sitting on the tractor) of the transmission. Right behind this connection (where the forward/reverse pedals connect) is a bolt that oozes and the fluid gets warm enough..

The bolt doesnt appear to be holding anything on, and its ont a freeze plug.. I tried to tighten the bolt but it sorta hard to get at, and it already seemed tight..

Ill try to post a better pic of it soon for some better advise..

thanks

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
My drive shaft rear joint just failed!!!!

Here are a few pictures of my 2320 with the floor removed. Note the transmission U-joint. The one at the other end of the drive shaft is the hard one to get to.
Can the main drive shaft be changed by removing the floor pan or do I need to take to a dealer? My drive shaft rear joint just failed!!!!

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
If it was me, I would attempt the shaft removal process and I would remove the floor just to gain better incite and access to what I was doing. There is a access plate on the right side of the tractor right about where your knee is when you are seated on the tractor. I think you will need to remove this plate to gain access to the bolt that holds the shaft to the engine.

From what I have found out, John Deere only sells the entire drive-shaft. However, there are replacement U-Joints available from another manufacture. I would also suspect you could take the shaft to NAPA or other auto parts store and they could probable match it up with a generic replacement joint.

I'm not close to the tractor or my files at the moment as I am working in New Jersey on Hurricane Sandy damage, but maybe you could find the part number on other post here in this forum. I mentioned the part number before, but I sure as heck can't find the post now to save my life!

Good luck and be safe
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts