My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a suggestion on what winch to put on my 2305 I looks like we will be pulling trees out of the woods to use as firewood. I want to put it behind the bucket on the cross member in front of the engine/radiator

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've thought of putting one one my rear hitch bar. Or maybe even the rear draw plate somehow. Might not interfere with the FEL if on the rear & it's easy on & off???

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
If you can get a compact winch and make the mount short it wont get in the way of the loader.. I used to keep my front weights on all the time. It was on a 2210jd.. If i still had it i would take some measurements for ya.. but i sold the unit. Maybe one of the fellas with front weights can take a measurement of two for you..

As far as winches go.. I trust Warn... They have never let me down. and for the price they never should.

·
4,221 Posts
I've thought of putting one one my rear hitch bar. Or maybe even the rear draw plate somehow. Might not interfere with the FEL if on the rear & it's easy on & off???
What item is this from redland? I need one!

·
Registered
203 Posts
What item is this from redland? I need one!
I prefer this one. The 2" receiver hitch is really useful, or you can just wrap a chain hook around it. The crosspiece is not square stock; it's two pieces of flat stock at 90 degrees - so a chain hook grabs well.

I don't sell this hitch, but I do own one and I like it. I don't know if it's iMatch compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360403885738

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
I would think a 12V electric winch would be the way to go. Search around for a post by POENY, where he pulls his X748 out of a mud trap with his portable winch.

If you guys are interested in these hitches, try looking at the Heavy Hitch. Nice thing about Heavy Hitch, is it doubles as a bracket for suitcase weights, so you can add ballast.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I would get the Heavy Hitch, especially since the excellent service they have demonstrated recently here with Roy and his. I would then get hold of them and see if they could fab you a winch holder that would be attached to the Hitch. :trink40:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I prefer this one. The 2" receiver hitch is really useful, or you can just wrap a chain hook around it. The crosspiece is not square stock; it's two pieces of flat stock at 90 degrees - so a chain hook grabs well.

I don't sell this hitch, but I do own one and I like it. I don't know if it's iMatch compatible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360403885738
There is NO way it would fit the iMatch with that flat bar on top, there is not enough clearance for the top hook.

The Redland one used to be NOT compatible, but I heard they where changing it so it would be-a call could confirm.

JD also sells one: http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/...cuts/720969235_femco_receiver_hitch_cuts.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
anyone have a suggestion on what winch to put on my 2305 I looks like we will be pulling trees out of the woods to use as firewood. I want to put it behind the bucket on the cross member in front of the engine/radiator
Back on topic:

The main problem I see with a winch-assuming your are talking about a electric one, is the current draw and the ability of the alternator to keep the battery charged. They use A LOT of current especially on long hard pulls.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Back on topic:

The main problem I see with a winch-assuming your are talking about a electric one, is the current draw and the ability of the alternator to keep the battery charged. They use A LOT of current especially on long hard pulls.
That's a good point. I forgot that the 2305 only has a 20 amp alternator.

The X748 has a 40 amp alternator. Here is a video of POENY winching his X748 out of the mud.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
They are also very slow- why use a winch? Just drag them out. If they are too big, then your tractor will either slide when winching, or you will have to chain it to a tree or something like that, and risk damaging something by winching such a heavy object. Just cut it into shorter lengths, that the tractor can drag. I think that time is crucial when cutting wood- there is a lot of work to do. I wouldn't want to spend a large portion of time while the winch does its thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts