My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is a 740 Ultimate so close to a 2305 in price? It seems the 2305 is significantly bigger and more versatile machine. I have a 740 Ultimate and am looking at the 2305 and wondering if I am missing something?

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
The 748 when optioned with a 3PH and PTO is actually MORE than a 2305.

I don't know what we're missing.. The price difference could be that the 2305 is made in Osaka Japan by Yanmar and the X700 series is assembled by John Deere in the United States.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think you are missing much. The 740 with the 62 inch deck lists for $11,619 while the 2305 lists for $11,069. But with the 2305, you need to purchase the 62 inch deck for another $1,700.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Looks like we've got two threads running simultaneously: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=148709

Besides the Made In USA, i think one aspect of the X700 series that drives prices up (besides things like all-wheel-drive and all-wheel-steer, 40 amp alternator, etc) is the number of different X700 models offered.

There's only one 2305, but counting the SE packages there are 12 different X700 models. Having so many model permutations drives prices up. JD should get rid of half of them and streamline production.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would expect a few marketing theories are at work here. One is I'm sure there is a larger market for the 700 series regardless of real or perceived differences with the small CUTs. I'm sure the idea of going to a CUT over a garden tractor is viewed as being too much machine. I know I don't suffer from this line of thinking...

As for the number of machines they sell. That has to be there to give customers choices. The purpose would be to get consumers who may not have brand loyalty yet deciding between which John Deere to buy rather than deciding between a Deere and another brand altogether.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Some people will look at it this way...
You could own the top of the line ultimate riding lawn mower or...
you could own the bottom of the line, entry level CUT

Others will say if they are mainly using it for mowing, the X700 is actually BETTER due to comfort and would be willing to pay for that. My dealer sells a lot of the X700 series to professional landscapers for just cutting duties. They say nothing better from JD on hills. (ZTR's for the flat fields)

·
Banned
587 Posts
I'm in agreement with... yardwork here. John Deere knows what side of the ledger the profit in on. The dealer's mouth waters when a person walks over to a X700 series tractor, due to the fact there's several price ranges for different "bells and whistles" they know the buyer will fall for.

I have a 2010 JD 2320 that suit me fine for the $12,500 I paid, plus the sales tax. It came with a 54" drive-on mid mount deck, and there are many other features I have over a X700 series. Larger front and rear tires, plus the 3 point hitch, etc.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
...I have a 2010 JD 2320 that suit me fine for the $12,500 I paid, plus the sales tax. It came with a 54" drive-on mid mount deck, and there are many other features I have over a X700 series. Larger front and rear tires, plus the 3 point hitch, etc.
Did you buy that new, or used?

At that price, I would expect to get a new X749, with 62C" deck, rear pto, and 3 pt hitch. Identical engine. Plus, it would have all-wheel-drive, and all-wheel-steer.

It's so hard to compare apples-to-apples with these units. The 2305/2320 have advantages that the X700 lacks, and vice versa.

In my case, the 2305 is simply too large for our garage and the tight urban environment where it would be used. So even if it's a "better deal", it wouldn't be for me since it wouldn't fit our needs. But if I had some acreage and a barn, I know what I'd do!

·
6,553 Posts
A 2000 series has it's share of disadvantages. If you think the 2000 series is "all that" FD, then More power to ya... But not all of us wanted a sub compact. If I wanted a compact tractor I'd go mucher higher up the lineup (and I did, when I owned my 3320) because I wanted a machine that was capable of real digging with a real backhoe and in my opinion the sub compacts are not up to snuff with the mid sized frame machines. You know, the one's that are cast iron from the engine to the transmission.

The drawback to a 2000 series for me, is that it's center of gravity is much taller, making it more unstable, there have been quite a few "regulars' on the JD CUT forums who have tipped them over. Plus it wouldn't fit between the telephone poles and the guide wires either.

You really need to think before you type FD and use some tact in your posts, you almost make it sound like X7 owners are stupid because gee we could have bought a 2000 series... I bought what I wanted and so did everyone else here, with an X5 or an X7

·
Banned
587 Posts
You really need to think before you type FD and use some tact in your posts, you almost make it sound like X7 owners are stupid because gee we could have bought a 2000 series... I bought what I wanted and so did everyone else here, with an X5 or an X7
From my view point, I see you don't read, or you read but you don't understand what being written. If you read ...yardwork post, you will see he's referring to the marketing ideas (pricing) on the X700 series. Being there are twelve (12) X700 models which to choose from, and all having one or more options on each different from the other. Should a potential buyer don't like X700, he/she can move up to a higher price range. That also would apply to the buyer saying the X749 is too costly. The dealer has 12 ways to make a sale, whereas in the 2000 series, the models are limited. That is where I made the statement...the dealer mouth waters when the buyer looks at a X700 series.

Now, let me make a statement to you, Brett. You remind me of a spoiled brat when someone makes a remark regarding something you own that you feel "no other person" should comment on...where it be a positive or negative nature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about appearing to double post. I reasoned that 2305 owners might only read the CUT section and 740 owners might only read the garden tractors section. I also own a Case 646 and if someone posted a question on Case 6467 vs say Cub Cadet in only the Cub Cadet section, I never read in the Cub Cadet section and would totally miss it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Its about money and thats all it is they can lure people with more choices than they can with limited ones. Some folks don't want a CUT and some want a "ultimate" garden tractor, there fore a X700 series is born :) My next JD is going to be a 2305 or x720SE or i might buy both...so i win this war!! take that! :p

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Sorry about appearing to double post. I reasoned that 2305 owners might only read the CUT section and 740 owners might only read the garden tractors section. I also own a Case 646 and if someone posted a question on Case 6467 vs say Cub Cadet in only the Cub Cadet section, I never read in the Cub Cadet section and would totally miss it.
Oh, no worries. I didn't mean that comment as a criticism.

I made a post to the other thread (not paying any attention to which forum it was in). Later I clicked on this thread and thought, "Hey what the heck, didn't I post a comment here?" Confused me for a while (easily done). So when I figured it out, I thought I'd add a cross-reference.

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Oh, no worries. I didn't mean that comment as a criticism.

I made a post to the other thread (not paying any attention to which forum it was in). Later I clicked on this thread and thought, "Hey what the heck, didn't I post a comment here?" Confused me for a while (easily done). So when I figured it out, I thought I'd add a cross-reference.

:ditto::ditto::ditto: Oh and my reply in the CUT forum still applies here! :sidelaugh

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
...Now, let me make a statement to you, Brett. You remind me of a spoiled brat when someone makes a remark regarding something you own that you fell "no other person" should comment on...where it be a positive or negative nature.
Hey, whoa, easy there.

I think all Brett is saying is that some folks make comments about the price of the X700 series, implying that the folks buying them are somehow getting duped because they could have had a 2305 for the same price. That gets tiresome, I'm sure.

The folks who buy X700 series are getting them because they are a better fit from a size and functional standpoint. Sometimes, that "fit" doesn't work out as expected and folks switch. But it goes both ways. Take a look at ColonyPark, who's contemplating swapping his 2320 for an X700.

Funny how so much depends on the perspective of the buyer, and intended use. I could easily see someone saying "But FD, you could have had a brand new X749 for the price of that used 2320!"

I guess that's why JD is successfully selling both models.

·
6,553 Posts
Exactly UT..

Thanks for wording your response better than I worded mine. But what do I know.. I'm just a spoiled brat.. Lord knows John Deere just GAVE me my 748... I didn't have to go to work to pay for it.

·
Banned
587 Posts
urban tractor, my point wasn't directed to any such person as a stupid idiot on why they have or want to buy a X700 series. I spent several hours with three dealers over the features and benefits on a X748. The price they had they didn't shave a penny off $12,200.00 Besides I would had to pay extra for a 54" deck. Due to the fact I have a JD 345 with a 54" deck, and it does what I want it to do, I needed a larger tractor...weight wise and capability. The 2320 model has a CAT 1, and the hydraulics have an edge over the X700 series....In my opinion.

Most dealers that have the 2305 or 2320, are all priced over $15,000 or more...that is a new model year. The 2010 JD 2320 I paid $12,500, the dealer wanted $15,200.00 with the turf tires and 54" drive on mount deck.

The lawn...mowing area I have is 20 acres. Have been mowing 12 acres with the 345, and the 8 acres with a Land Pride finishing on the back of my Ford 8N. Now, I can take the 345 and mow the 7 acres, which as several hundred trees with low hanging branches, and the 13 acres with the 2320, which has only a few trees that I can get under the limbs.

·
6,553 Posts
We can't make the justifications for purchasing a 2000 series for you, you reasoned it out and bought what you felt you needed. Just as we did with out 700 purchases. I would never argue that the 2000 series has advantages over the 700 series, and the price gap is very "close" but they are wildly different machines, And I don't think anyone who is looking for a garden tractor would make the decision to go with a 2K just because of the price gap.

Guys and Gals that buy an X or a 2K do so because they feel they need a certain feature over another.

I felt your post (like many of your posts) come off as condescending, perhaps I just don't know how to read you, but I've been on this internets thing for more than a few decades now, and I'm typically pretty good at reading between the lines.

And like I said earlier, the way your post was worded just made it sound like anyone who bought a garden tractor and not a 2000 series, was nuts. If I read that wrong, then I'm sorry for doing so. I'm not here to cause controversy, I've been here as you can see, since 06... I am here to learn and to help when I can.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I'd go with the X748 because I like the wideness, capabiliys, and just the looks So much better than the 2305, the 2305 just looks stretched out and narrow. The X748 looks wide and low like I would want my tractor to look. And the X7xx's dont have ROPS so getting under that tree or wire just got easier. Just my $.02 And if I were going to spend that much it would be the X748 with 3pt and 45 loader.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts