My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this questions has been asked a billion and 1 times + 2, but...

Was looking over a potential 2305 purchase this weekend at my dealer. He had on the floor a nice 2305 with FEL and hoe for a really good price. The tires however are turf tires. I mentioned that I would put a blower on it and he said, "Great, the turf tires are better in the snow than the R4's by far!". I gasped. I could not believe what he was saying. At the same time another customer chimed in and offered the same advice. How is this possible?? My LA130 slips if it's turf tires plug with mud or wet grass clippings, let alone snow or ice.

I think he was just blowing smoke to push the sale of this machine with the turf tires....

Just to confirm my own thoughts on the subject; what's the story from you guys?

:thanku:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will agree with him, Ive been pushing, blowing snow for over 25 years with turf tires on 4x4 tractors. Think about it, the tread on snow tires is about the same design as turf tires. Just a word of caution, when your stuck....you are stuck.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
My 2305 has the turf tires on it and it has the hoe and the FEL. I got mine for a really good price new and I would have doubted it also until last winter when we had some snow and I go well it is worth a try and I went out and cleared snow, the machine did great and better then my old Kubota ever did in the snow.

The only thing that was done was to load the tires with Rim Guard ballast.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Both will work and I use R4's with weight and no chains. slkpk

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon... You guys are kiddin' me right?

Really? Turf's actually work well in snow? Well, I'll be a blue nosed jackass. Never would of thought it. Hmmmm, so if I add enough ballast, I should be good to go. Cool. But if I hit mud, well thats another story.... It'll just stick in the tread and turn them to slicks.

Why can't we get HDAP tires for the 2305 from the factory. They seem to be a great compromise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
451 Posts
My vote goes for turf's. I have non-loaded turfs on my 2305, and I love 'em. I use either the back blade or the weight box in the winter, when snow-blowing (no chains), and in 4wd I have yet to get myself into anything I couldn't get out of.

My drives are both 1000+ feet, gravel, and no grade above 5%, if that helps.

Good luck on your decision. Work Safely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, while I have heard on this site that turfs are better in snow, I am not buying it. I have a 2305 TLB and it came with turfs. My property is hilly and clay. The turfs had a hard time. I replaced the turfs with R4s and don't even use 4wd anymore. Traction is traction. I sold my turfs.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Another vote for the turf tires. I had a Honda 5518 (4wd) and now the 2305. Both did very well in the snow without loaded tires or chains.

Never argue with a man that has already made up his mind.:bananapow

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another vote for the turf tires. I had a Honda 5518 (4wd) and now the 2305. Both did very well in the snow without loaded tires or chains.

Never argue with a man that has already made up his mind.:bananapow
But the question is not if turfs will do well, the question is which is better. Did you also have R4s for comparison?

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
I will agree with him, Ive been pushing, blowing snow for over 25 years with turf tires on 4x4 tractors. Think about it, the tread on snow tires is about the same design as turf tires. Just a word of caution, when your stuck....you are stuck.
If you push in 2 wheel drive...and then switch to 4 wheel drive only after you get stuck...you might just get be able to get yourself unstuck...;)

If NOT, that is what your SECOND TRACTOR IS FOR...:sidelaugh

·
Registered
83 Posts
The pure physics of tread design would suggest that R4s will be better. Here's a good article http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/tires/andfriction.html. To me turfs will act like snowshoes keeping you on top of the snow. R4s will displace more snow and mud when they spin, this displacement will create forward movement of your tractor (for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction). Done beating this dead horse.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Been plowing deep snow for 3 winters with my 2305 with turf tires in 4 wheel drive and never had a problem. I think turfs are better on compacted snow and ice too. More surface area. Last year I got stuck when I went too far off the edge of the driveway and got snow behind the front wheels and couldn't back up. Was embarrassing to walk back to the garage to get a shovel to dig the snow out from behind the front wheels but I locked the rear end, eased the reverse pedal, and the tractor became unstuck real easy.

·
MTF Poster
41 Posts
I have both sets of tires. Had the turfs (R3) then decided on the R4 tires with all the digging I was doing. I also decided to leave the turfs off for the winter last year. Big mistake! I had much better traction with the turfs than what I have with the R4 tires. Now I will say, I had super traction with the bar tires (R1) I had for one year. But then I thought why keep'em if I am only using them in the winter. Now I wish I kept them. All in all, the turfs work great with comfortable ride. The R1s' do a great job, much rougher riding tire. R4s' would be my last choice and they are coming off this winter for the turfs. Mind you, we get a bit of snow here in my neck of the woods. I also looked the HDAP tires but couldn't find any that were rated for the tractor. Seen several 2 plys out there, but could not seem to find the 4 ply needed for the tractor when using the FEL or ballast box. If anyone sees any, let me know.

My 2 cents

Bill

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've used Bar (R1) and turfs, the R1 were on a BX and the turfs were on my Wheel Horse garden tractor. I was amazed at how well the turfs did in the snow. The WH with wheel weights and a 48in front blad cleared most of last years snow (about 4ft spread through 3 storms). I have R4's on my B2620 and will find out how they work this year in the snow. If I had one choice and mowed I would go with turfs.

Brad

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
IMHO, turfs for snow. R4s for mud. :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Reason turfs "can" be better is because for high friction surfaces such as pavement or concrete, it's not the bars that give you traction (ie: R4's), but the number of "edges" or corners on tread blocks. A turf tire has more tread blocks, therefore more biting edges, hence more traction.

However, in sloppy dirt/mud/deep snow conditions, you need to be able to displace the soft material off the top, and dig down to the solid stuff underneath to gain traction. Hence bar-tires (R4s) are better.
Now to accomplish the same effect as bar tires, you can put chains on turf tires. The advantage of chains, is that if you're working with snow and ice, the chains will bite-into the ice better than anything else. And chains are easier to work with (install etc) on Turf tires than on bar tires.

So - the decision is dependent on the type of surface you plan on working on.

Cheers!

·
Registered
171 Posts
my vote is for turfs. yes mud isn't as good but snow is not a problem. grass they are great especially when it is soft and just going over the wet lawn makes the r4's sink the knobs in the ground.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
My 2210 came with turfs.. used em for three years and went and bought r4's.. I was as proud as a new dad... TILL i hit the cold snowy driveway and lowered the back blade to clear snow.. It sucked that little 2210 right in to the ditch.. i added MORE weight (i am my own ballast usually).. i hung 5-42 lb weights up front that helped a bunch.. But it was no where near as good as the turfs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts