My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good buddy needed to dig a roughly 70’ two foot deep ditch for a larger electrical service line to his work shop. It started off fine but soon turned into a real job with the shell rock and hard clay. It is so hot here that I’m only working a few hours in the mornings but we will eventually get it dug. Man… it is slow going and I’m really not digging the ditch… it’s more like scratching out a ditch. It’s a real job for the 260 backhoe on the 2305. I want a bigger backhoe! I wonder how the 45 backhoe on a JD2520 or 2720 would handle this hard packed stuff. I’m sure it would be a chore for the 45 BH also. I need some dynamite! Help! :biglaugh: :fing32:
"Click Image For Larger Version"

Attachments

·
-
1,832 Posts
Nice pics. I want a backhoe period.

My current backhoe is my back and I'm the hoe - with a shovel... :)

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Rodney, as always great pics! These smaller backhoes are not commercial backhoes, and it may take longer, but they DO get the job done. They are well worth the investment.:thThumbsU

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Rodney,

That is sure some rotten terrain. Looks like the 2305 is handling it fine. Good to hear from you; hope all goes well with you and your family. :)

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Thanks for the photos Rodney :fing32::fing32:

Be VERY careful not to damage that cylinder like you did last year .. We all know what a wild man you can be on that machine :Stop:

Baby steps :fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Thanks for the pics and it looks like some tough sledding for you. Stay cool! slkpk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
That is nasty stuff to have to dig in, there is not a tremendous amount of difference in digging power between the two, this would even give my 17D excavator a work out. Deere did find me excellent teeth for situations like this, it's super simple and fast to change from one tooth type to another and they are only $7.00 each, we have three types of teeth we use depending on what we are doing and soil conditions.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yea that is some hard digging. Daughter lives in the Eastern Panhandle of WV , shale there looks like what you are digging.
We ended up using a electric jack hammer , after trying a post hole digger on his jd2305.
Then son in law brought home a drilling ridge used for blasting . Was able to drill 4-5 holes in each of appx 20 holes and still could not use post hole digger..
Finally rented a el jack hammer and then had to use toy shovels to clean out the holes... What a pain in the _ _ _ !!

Good luck , it will take time ...
I know the hoe will dig pretty well in dirt and some rock ..just wondering about what you are digging.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Rodney how about using a frost hook? All it is ,is a ripper shank. We use one when the frost is to hard for a backhoe to break through.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Rodney how about using a frost hook? All it is ,is a ripper shank. We use one when the frost is to hard for a backhoe to break through.
Thats a good idea. I'm glad I thought of that:trink40: slkpk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd go back to the JD dealer and DEMAND they sell me the 3 point ditch witch attachment..

And it better be EXPENSIVE.. and **** off my wife when I bring it home..

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
One thing is for sure.. your getting your moneys worth outta that hoe your pimping out... :trink40: thanks for sharing pictures.

I'd go back to the JD dealer and DEMAND they sell me the 3 point ditch witch attachment..

And it better be EXPENSIVE.. and **** off my wife when I bring it home..
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha holy crap thats funny.. ha ha ha ha ha :fing32:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts