My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my 50 hour maintenance this past weekend. When I changed the hydro fluid I retracted all the pistons for the bucket loader and backhoe. Does anyone know how much additional hydro fluid is needed with the bucket loader and backhoe attachments? The site glass is half full if I fully retract the backhoe pistons, but when pistons are extended there is no fluid in the site glass.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've found if you have any load on the hydraulics, you usually won't see any fluid in the sight glass. Once the tractor sets with the load off, the level returns to around half up the glass.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I've found if you have any load on the hydraulics, you usually won't see any fluid in the sight glass. Once the tractor sets with the load off, the level returns to around half up the glass.
:ditto:Bruce that was one of my first thoughts also when I did my 50 hour service on my 2305 TLB. JoeS great reply!

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
All hydraulics to the ground = sight glass showing half way. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I measure with the BH in storage position (all cylinders extended), not flat on the ground. That's how I take it off, so I know I'm not dropping the level when I remove it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am officially an idiot. Why did I think they were all extended in storage position? Just went out and looked at it - boom cylinder retracted, dipper extended (tucked in tight), bucket retracted (to allow teeth to contact ground.)

So I have 2 contracted, 1 extended. Feet are retracted as well. I had it backwards.

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
Bruce,

Dual action cylinders require more fluid when they are extended then when retracted. The cylinder rod takes up part of the area inside the cylinder when retracted, so less volume of oil is required. I always check the fluid level with all cylinders retracted on my loader. If you check the fluid level when extended, retracting them will cause the hydro to be overfull.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I appreciate all the commentary, bottom line, given my observations, do I need to add more hydo fluid or am I good where I am. Just to recap, loader retracted, bh retracted, fluid is half way up the site glass. extend anything and the site glass is empty.

·
Just John Deere
743 Posts
Bruce,

"If you check the fluid level when extended, retracting them will cause the hydro to be overfull." As long as the fluid level is about 1/2 the site glass with all cylinders retracted, you are fine. DO not worry about the level as you extend the cylinders. The level will go down which is what it is supposed to do.

GotDeeres

1 - 10 of 10 Posts