My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Is it just me, but does your front grill plug with grass often? I cut my grass at the highest setting on the 62" deck. Often after about a half hour of mowing dry grass, I'll feel the heat kicking out from the engine and get off and have to clean the front grill that's completely covered. Since there's no temp gauge, just a light, it makes me nervous as I don't want to overheat the engine.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hi Joe
After I'm done mowing,I give 'er a good going over with the leaf blower. I always open the hood and blow out the grille from the inside out.Cleans really well this way.:)

Greg

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greg---I do the same. Blow everything out clean. The leaf blower works well for cleaning off the top of the deck too. That engine fans really pulls a lot of air through the front.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
For me a good rule of thumb is when you clean off the front grille, open the hood and clean the inside screen also. When I'm finished I use compressed air and remove the front grille, inside screen and blow out the radiator also. slkpk

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
My 2320 does the same thing. I always have to be so careful when the grass is dry or is laden with seeds. It seems to me that this was discussed before and someone made a "***" on the front of the deck to stop the dry grass from kicking up and getting sucked into the grill. I plan to do two things soon. One is a temperature gage, and second is to try the *** idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2305 did the same thing using a 62c. The problem stopped when I used my RFM. My first 2520 did not because I used only a RFM. My second 2520 does not because I have a mulcher on the 62d. The RFM and mulch kit also keep the clippings from blowing on me when mowing in the open on a windy day.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
For me a good rule of thumb is when you clean off the front grille, open the hood and clean the inside screen also. When I'm finished I use compressed air and remove the front grille, inside screen and blow out the radiator also. slkpk
:ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hi Joe
After I'm done mowing,I give 'er a good going over with the leaf blower. I always open the hood and blow out the grille from the inside out.Cleans really well this way.:)

Greg
Although we do not use the 2305 for mowing I have the same issue with the 749 which is the same motor, Deere tried to prevent this by placing the motor in backwards and the grill next to your feet but it still plugs, especially when we are doing leaf jobs, we use a backpack blower to keep her clean, what I do like however is the temp gauge on the 749.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So do you guys with temp gauges see any increased temps as the grill gets blocked or do yuo check it often enough it doesn't start rising?

Rogator---what's an RFM?

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Guys,
Is it just me, but does your front grill plug with grass often? I cut my grass at the highest setting on the 62" deck. Often after about a half hour of mowing dry grass, I'll feel the heat kicking out from the engine and get off and have to clean the front grill that's completely covered. Since there's no temp gauge, just a light, it makes me nervous as I don't want to overheat the engine.
Nah...I have one of the pit crew check the grill when I come in from mowing...:sidelaugh

This is them, on their weekends OFF...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts