tractor she's a real work horse. My mechanic at the dealer suggested
changing engine oil at 10 hours . Wanted to hear some input from
you wise tractor owners

Thanks ,
Hunter-63

·
Registered
63 Posts
My dealer told me to wait until 50, that is supposed to be first service.

It's not cheap either, your dealer trying to make some extra cash?

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
hunter,

There have been some reports that the users of these tractors haven't been using them hard enough to break in the engine oil. You tractor is equipped with break in oil and should be kept in until the break in time is over. :)

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
My dealer had me change it at 50 hours and then run another 50 hours with breakin oil. Mine has 320 hours and doesn't use any oil. slkpk

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
hello, All
I am closing in on 10 hours on my 2305 .Have to say i love the little
you wise tractor owners

Thanks ,
Hunter-63
Go ahead and change it ... replace with break-in oil (TY22041), oil filter (M806418) and run it another 40 hours. Then, you can go with whatever floats your boat.

I ran mine between seventy (70) and eighty (80) before I switched to regular oil (10W-30) -- later I changed to the 15W-40. In fact I changed the oil three (3) times (12 hours, 25 hours and 50 hours) with a new oil filter and break-in oil ... imagine that!

Clean as a whistle she is, she is .... Some of us :D change our engine oil and filter every fifty (50) hours!! However, because of heat, slow speeds, dusty conditions, etc., that's why I change mine so often ....

L8r,

2CED

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I would wait until 50 hours as the owners manual suggests. However, I change mine every 50 hours regardless.:D

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have heard the same thing and apply it to my own tractor. Wait until 50 hours then put in whatever is recommended. At my first change I used JD Plus-50 15-40 oil. Second change I used JD 0w-40 synthetic. From then on I use 5W-40 Rotella synthetic. I think the initial 10 hour oil change interval applies to small gas engines like lawnmowers and snowblowers without oil filters. I don't change my oil every 50 hours though. Todays oils are far superior and technologically advanced than they were years ago. Plus there is a lot of research out there that supports lab reports that show that oil works better when it has been in there for a while better than new oil and you get better protection by adding oil when needed. I don't know all of the fact though. At least follow your manual. And use high quality fluids.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
I went with what the manual stated on my first change at 50 hours. I don't feel like you need to worry before the scheduled time. Just my .02¢ :fing32:

·
1K Posts and climbing
1,666 Posts
Go ahead and change it ... replace with break-in oil (TY22041), oil filter (M806418) and run it another 40 hours. Then, you can go with whatever floats your boat.

I ran mine between seventy (70) and eighty (80) before I switched to regular oil (10W-30) -- later I changed to the 15W-40. In fact I changed the oil three (3) times (12 hours, 25 hours and 50 hours) with a new oil filter and break-in oil ... imagine that!

Clean as a whistle she is, she is .... Some of us :D change our engine oil and filter every fifty (50) hours!! However, because of heat, slow speeds, dusty conditions, etc., that's why I change mine so often ....

L8r,

2CED
Do you use Dino? Synthetic?? What filters??

·
Just passing through
8,419 Posts
hello, All
I am closing in on 10 hours on my 2305 .Have to say i love the little
you wise tractor owners

Thanks ,
Hunter-63
After First 10 Hours

• Check wheel bolt torque.

Every 10 Hours or Daily

• Test safety systems.

• Check engine oil level.

• Check transmission oil level.

• Check air filter rubber dust unloading valve.

• Check radiator coolant level.

After First 50 Hours

• Change engine oil and filter.

• Change transmission oil and filter.

• Clean transmission suction screen.

Every 50 Hours

• Check front axle oil level.

• Lubricate machine.

Every 200 Hours

• Clean transmission suction screen and internal magnets.

• Inspect alternator belt.

Every 400 Hours

• Replace fuel filter.

Every 600 Hours

• Check engine low idle speed.

• Check air filter intake hoses and clamps.

• Change front axle oil.

• Check brake adjustment.

Yearly

• Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.<<<If you meet this requirement, then yes...;)

• Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter.

• Check all hoses and clamps.

• Check battery electrolyte level.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts

L8r,

2CED
Service Intervals

Servicing Your Machine

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Operating in extreme conditions may require more frequent service intervals:
• Engine components may become dirty or plugged when operating in extreme heat, dust or other severe conditions.
• Engine oil can degrade if machine is operated constantly at slow or low engine speeds or for frequent short periods of time.

Please use the following timetables to perform routine maintenance on your machine.
As Needed

• Replace alternator belt.
• Replace air filter elements.
• Replace light bulbs.
• Replace fuses.
• Clean and replace battery.
• Replace radiator hoses and clamps.
• Check tire air pressure.
• Clean fuel tank overfill reservoir.
• Drain water and sediment from fuel tank, and service water separator.
• Check and clean front grille screens.
• Check and clean radiator cooling screen.
• Clean debris from engine compartment.
After First 10 Hours

Every 10 Hours or Daily

• Test safety systems.
• Check engine oil level.
• Check transmission oil level.
• Check air filter rubber dust unloading valve.
• Check radiator coolant level.
After First 50 Hours

Every 50 Hours

• Check front axle oil level.
• Lubricate machine.
Every 200 Hours

• Clean transmission suction screen and internal magnets.
• Inspect alternator belt.
Every 400 Hours

• Replace fuel filter.
Every 600 Hours

• Check engine low idle speed.
• Check air filter intake hoses and clamps.
• Change front axle oil.
• Check brake adjustment.
Yearly

• Change engine oil and filter if less than 200 hours of operation.
• Drain water from fuel tank and replace fuel filter.
• Check all hoses and clamps.
• Check battery electrolyte level.
Every 1200 Hours

• Check engine valve clearance. See your John Deere dealer.
Every Two Years or 2000 Hours

• Flush and replace factory coolant. Flush cooling system and replace coolant with John Deere COOL-GARD engine coolant.
• Service fuel injection nozzles.

I operate my little girl in hot usually humid South Carolina. Here the temperatures have been in middle to upper ninety degrees the last two weeks (in fact only five days in the month of June were normal, the other twenty five days were ABOVE normal) with heat indices in the one hundred to one hundred ten degree range. Summer didn't start here until the twenty-first of June, when do you guys start having hundred degree days?

Sure change your oil every two hundred hours or once a year with this heat -- it lasts anywhere from seven to nine months out the year here.

Throw in clouds of dust from dry ground from lack of rain (bahia grass everywhere), cutting at slow speeds for several hours over forty plus acres ... yea, whatever floats your boat. I change my oil and filters WAY more than you guys do .... My little girl will be here when I'm gone! Still running like new!!

Cheers!!!
2CED

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't make any comment other than I just bought my new 2320 so I'm more or less in the same boat. I admit I have a tendency to change oil much more frequently than may be necessary - just to be "safe".

Bottom line is I'm following this thread with interest because it applies to me as well.

Bottom line - oil is cheap. Tractors are not!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Do you use Dino? Synthetic?? What filters??
JD Plus 50 15W-40 Dino. JD M806418 Oil Filter. Air filters: Primary (JD M131802) changed every twenty five to fifty hours. Every third change of the primary, I change the secondary (JD RG25644). Dust is fine stuff ... you'd be surprised (Agricultural environment ... you know dust, dirt, fields, plowing, breathing air, coughing, COPD, CAD, STEMI, stents x2, Diabetes, old age ....)

2CED

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
After the break in period, I too change the oil in my 2210 every 50 hrs. :)

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
I agree with the majority , wait until 50 hrs. ... I always wondered why
Dealers have different opinions when it comes to maintenance schedule
hrs. ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
My dealer recommended 25 and 50 to use breakin oil then put the recommended oil in at 100. He did say that is not what the book recommends but they have found it to work well breaking in these little Yanmar diesels. My dealer is one of the biggest dealers in Canada with tons of experience with Deere stuff so I have no reason to doubt their recommendations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts