My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up tractor when out to mow. After 2 1/2 -3hrs almost on level ground engine just dies. Shut off mower pto put in netural tried to start turned over 1 or 2 times then quits.. will not turn over.. Checked all lights are bright but no dash lights on right side of dash.... Take battery term off clean them still nothing...Took battery to a local shop, battery 3yrs old ,tested ok good voltage and under load tested OK>>> Chris suggested I scrape the term off or use wire brush.. Did this when I got home ,hook battery backup still nothing...Clouds moving in, looks like a bad storm coming..
Father in law walks down I lift up the seat and see wires going to seat switch smashed... shorted out plug still nothing..
I then check fuses ,. 15 amp blown for what ever reason.. I replace it . Now engine cranks still will not start..
Took fuel filter off whole bottom under filter ,dirty as can be and maybe water. Replaced filter and cleaned out bowl .. Crank tractor for close to 5 min
still no start... We loosen fitting going from fuel pump (not correct name I think ON a diesel) crank engine.. fuel coming there.. After a couple of min it finally started..
Just got tractor in my building and it started to rain..Thankful for that part.
left engine idle maybe 15 sec. turned off engine.. Tried to restart just cranks.. 2 hrs late for dinner said the heck with it. Then storm takes power out till about 1230 am ..
I still have not gone back to try but I added power surge just as I walked out of garage last night.
For some reason I didn't add this when I filled tractor up yesterday.
Now I wonder if I have dirt or water in pump and injectors ??????
Sorry for long note... and thanks in advance for any help !!

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
I added power surge just as I walked out of garage last night. For some reason I didn't add this when I filled tractor up yesterday.
What is "power surge"? I thought it might be a fuel additive but a Google search turned up empty.

·
Member of the 0.4k Club!!
412 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys ,,not Power Surge Just looked at bottle and I cannot tell you the correct name ...to dispense water and help on power .
Still will not start..Turns over but no start.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
I don't know. I know that there have been battery issues with the factory one. One member tested his battery as okay but still would not work until he replaced the battery. I had to replace the battery on mine. I would say replace the battery. If that dont work then I would call your dealer and talk to the service manager.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The 15 amp fuse you replaced could have been for the fuel shutoff solenoid. You have 3 wires going to the fuel shutoff on the rear of the injector pump. One is black, one red and one white. Black is ground, white is the pull in circuit and red is the hold circuit.
The battery going bad usually will not effect the system as the machine is running.I say USUALLY because we all know Ole Murphy! And if it cranks(turns over) I would rule out a bad battery. Thats leaves fuel or compression. Might have been you had a couple issues going on at once. Dirty fuel filter and a solenoid that is acting up. I've had 3 2305's in the shop this year with bad solenoids. If you are still having trouble, post back and I can post some quick and easy tests for you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
still having trouble cranks will not (fire) start

·
Registered
333 Posts
check to make sure you didnt blow a fuse again. If fuse is good you will need a test light or a multimeter to complete the following.

Parking brake ON
Pto OFF
Trans in NEUTRAL
Operator OFF SEAT
Multimeter connected to WHITE wire at fuel solenoid.
Turn key switch to ON position.
Check for power at the WHITE wire. You should have voltage for 1 second.. ON then OFF.. this is the PULL circuit. If you have power proceed. If not you have a wiring problem or possibly a bad controll module.

Step 2 Same as above but connect multimeter to the RED wire at the fuel shutoff solenoid. With key sw ON, you should see a steady 12 volts or whatever battery voltage is.
If you have pull (1 second) but no hold, you have a safety sw out or a bad solenoid or a bad wire.
Also use your multimeter to confirm good battery voltage at the battery and that the black wire is a good ground.
Hope this helps.
PS... you can remove the solenoid from the injector pump to observe it during these tests.( 2 bolts, 10mm) Just dont try to actually start the engine. KEY ON ONLY.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that info I have tractor loaded on trailer and taking to dealer first am
but I will keep that info for down the road...
Just decided I was off tomorrow till about noon and had the neighbor here tonight to help load ...or I wouldn't be getting tractor to dealer till Sat or sometime next wk.
Since we just came back from vac I have 2 more yds to mow...will be going on 3 week tomorrow..

Thank for your help

Gene

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
etcallhome, I sure hope everything works out good for you. Let us know how it goes.:fing32:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok went to dealer w/tractor Serv Manager Jim ,, goes out says bad fuel solenoid
not at dealer order one .... Told me take solenoid off and tractor will start I did ,it ran and pulled off trailer in house garage..
Finally got to connection to solenoid (did not take off panel below steering wheel//
had vol 1 sec on white nothing on red
under seat cut wire off where it was pinched I had 12 volt ..
well at one point I had battery voltage on red wire...
I think I connected those 2 wires together checked
now tractor will not turn over...!!!!!!!!
Don't have a clue??????????

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok today my fault Lever got moved just enough toward LOW range to get tractor from doing anything.
Today brother in law a I worked checking different switches and relays.
Xcopterdoc when solenoid is off and disconnected from tractor. Putting jumper line from battery to white wire and ground and just touching white connection the solenoid will pull pin in. It will also put pin in if connected to tractor wiring and move lever to either low or High range and turn the key will not do this if setting in netural... He is thinking that switch in defective.. but when we did this a few time the fuel solenoid was hot to touch ,so much that we had to let it set 3-5 min before he could put it back on tractor
I thinking the control module is bad and maybe the fuel solenoid..
Any thoughts....

Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that was my thought .... But I still don't have voltage on white lead per Xcopterdoc post .So that tell me Still have something else.
Going to call SM at JD dealer on Mon and give him same info ...To see if maybe we need to order a relay ,control module or what his thoughts might be... There delivery truck come in on Tues . So maybe we could get parts added to this truck and not the one later on in the week..

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been looking at JD Parts Catalog,,,,cannot find Control Module....I have looked at just about everything I can think of and have found no listing..
Tried Alph search typing control,,, control module, module,,,and looking at picture search still have not located anything..
Just wondering how much this part was going to cost.
thanks for any replies!!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
#6 on the picture

part# LVU800961. Fuel Shutoff Timer.

1 M808087 .........RELAY 2
2 R114044 ..........BOLT 9
3 LVU800247 .....FLASHER 1
4 M805280 .........RELAY 2 STARTER
5 LVA802041 ....TIMER GLOW PLUG
6 LVU800961 ....TIMER FUEL SHUTOFF
7 RG60042 .........RELAY GLOW PLUG
8 M807426 .........BOLT 1
9 M807915 .........REGULATOR

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seen that , and wondered if that might have been the part he was talking about .I had even looked at the price..just wasn't sure if that was part..
Thanks again. I think I will go back on site and order that part even before talking to dealer tomorrow morning..

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just went on JD site ordered part 86.23 and of course none in stock at 13 dealers in a 50 mile radius.. Hope it will make in on the same truck that will come in on Tues...
Time will tell..No need to get to excited at this point..Just sit and wait....and .....wait.

Later

1 - 20 of 30 Posts