My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are ya guys using for a battery. The closest JD dealer wants nearly $180.00, next closest dealer is about 50 min away.
I tried a few local auto stores but nothing physically matches and there isn't much room. Last one was $135.00 but again an hour drive into SC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine still has original. I just did a quick search and yep your right very expensive. Im going to have to baby mine even more knowing this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I replaced mine about five years ago with the JD Strong Box. Expensive up front but it has earned its keep.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
2,020 Posts
Remember you're looking for CCA and terminal compatibility rather than physical size... a smaller case battery may well provide sufficient power.

Is there a size/CCA designation stamped into the battery itself?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The thing to do is to actually measure the place where the battery is going to sit. You want the dimensions in width, length and height in either inches or in millimeters. Then use the chart below to find a battery group size that will fit into the space that you measured.
You do want to get the same, or greater Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) as the one that you are replacing.

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Last week I had a big job to do, spreading 3,500#s of fertilizer with the 3 point spreader. Went to start the 2305 and the 9 year old Farm & Fleet battery took a dump. Wouldn't even crank with the 50 amp booster charger.

Soooo............being in a big hurry was an understatement. Went to Farm and Fleet and they didn't have the same one in stock so in desperation I took a 22FS. The height, width and posts and polarity were correct it was about a 1/2" wider so I thought "no big deal". Well it was. Had to modify a bracket where the hood latch passes.:tango_face_plain: Dicked around 2.5 hours and the positive terminal broke when I cleaned it up. Had to use a hose clamp to keep it on. Got the job done though.

This 540 CCA battery was $80.

John Deere should be ashamed of their price for parts that are inferior. The OEM JD battery lasted 4 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts