My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tilling up my yard to level it and reseed it. I have about 4 acres total to do, and in the last two days have spent about 3.5 hours on it (probably a little less) and got between 1 - 1.5 acres done.

This tiller rocks. It hasn't rained much this year so the yard is like cement, but this tiller is tearing into it, and it's like baby powder after a single pass. No clumps, no clods, just nice sweet smooth topsoil.

This is former farmer field so it runs the length of the field in furrows. If I mow the long way it's bad but not nearly as rough as when I try to go the wicth of the field.. That will jar your teeth loose.

So I was planning on getting a box blade to level the field after I tilled it, but now that I've tilled part of it a boxblade would be overkill.. now thinking a dragharrow, or maybe a landscape rake..

There are two BIG ditches running through the middle of the field (also lengthwise) and I think these will be the hardest to level, but do want to level the entire field.

Also thinking a landscape rake shouldn't take much HP to pull it.. If I go with a rake will I be ok with a 6 foot rake?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
If you get a landscape rake make sure it has the gauge wheels if not buy a set for it and it will do you a very good job. I use a 4ft but it could probably handle a 6 footer. slkpk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you get a landscape rake make sure it has the gauge wheels if not buy a set for it and it will do you a very good job. I use a 4ft but it could probably handle a 6 footer. slkpk
Ditto, we use landscape rakes for a lok of tilling projects, driveways, spreading turf dressing, top soil etc. Wheels when using a 2305 or pretty much any of the cuts make a world of difference. We have 4 and 5 foot rakes, for a small business I find these to be the best overall based on the size of the projects we do.

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
If I go with a rake will I be ok with a 6 foot rake?
My John Deere Implements Catalog lists two 6' Rakes for the 2305. And that is without the Gauge Wheels. Gauge Wheels (which I also recommend) would put a bit less drag on the tractor meaning you may be able to handle something a little bigger, maybe a 7'. And the 7' Rake maybe easier to find used as "Compact Only" implements are rare (or at least around here where I am surrounded by farmers who use BIG equipment).

·
Registered
542 Posts
Bob,
I have the JD-LR2060L rake and it works very well. I never got around to the wheels but if you can, they probably would make it a little easier to level. Although mine w/o them turned this:

Into this after the dozers got rid of the really big stuff:thThumbsU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts