My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone heard of or had problems with the rims on their 2305? i lost all my ballast in one wheels today and all due to 2 holes in one rime and found another in the other rim i was ver surprised at this tractor is only 6 years old

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've not heard of that happening, but I've often wondered about it. Just to make sure we are on the same page here, do you mean you had ballast (calcium) in the wheels and it ate holes in the rims? If that is what you mean, I've worried about that. I've been thinking of either going to tubes or putting beet juice in the wheels instead of calcium.

·
22,346 Posts
I've not heard of that happening, but I've often wondered about it. Just to make sure we are on the same page here, do you mean you had ballast (calcium) in the wheels and it ate holes in the rims? If that is what you mean, I've worried about that. I've been thinking of either going to tubes or putting beet juice in the wheels instead of calcium.
Calcium will eat the rims out in about 12 years. My MF1655 is about to get its 3rd set of rims, if I can get my other 1655 out of the way. Six years is a little quick and makes me wonder about the quality of the steel.

I tried tubes at one time, but after tearing the valve stem out of one wheel twice in a month, I went back to tubeless.

Go with the beet juice. Another product in Canada, Agri-Lim appears to be little more than plumbing antifreeze as far as weight and colour is concerned. I'm not impressed with it after weighing my tires, 147 lb compared to 200 lb with calcium.

Get it pumped in. Pouring through the bead doesn't get as much into the tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from what i was told dealer doesnt use calcium anymore i believe it windshield washer fluid now due to the calcium rotting the rims over time

·
Registered
973 Posts
About 10 yrs ago I had a JD425 ,I used windshield washer fluid in rims for weight.
About 4 yrs later I had a flat ,removed tire from rim and found rust in one or two locations.. I quit using washer fluid ..

·
22,346 Posts
I've seen the rims all rusty when they only had air in the tires.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Can you get us a pic of the holy rims? slkpk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not to say that I wont have any problems but I have the cloride and the used tubes inside my tires, if that helps.

·
22,346 Posts
Air=moisture do to temperature change mixed with oxygen=rust:banghead3
Yup. Air them up in the summer in the high humidity, and then let them freeze at -30 in the dead of winter. Not many water filters on compressors get all the humidity out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have since welded the holes shut for now will probably replace rims in near future. i noticed the paint bubling on the rim and when i scraped it away there was a hole underneath about 1/16th wide had 2 on one rim and 1 on the other rear rim. lost most of the fluid in both rims def notice a bumpier ride. just not sure what to think im sure the fluid played a part in this though

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
IMO if you use any type of fluid use tubes. I have tubes in all 4 on the 2320.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts