My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todays project was installing a 12V power port to power my sprayer and a switch to toggle between my front aux lighting and the rear work light. I wanted to install a switch for the power port too so the sprayer can be started and stopped easily. I couldn't have done this install without all the advice I've gethered on this forum. Thanks guys.

For the power port I ran a wire from the battery, down the battery cable and under the front end over to the right side of the frame and then generally down the inside of the right side of the frame all the way to the back.

Here's the bracket for the port:

Port installed in bracket: the port is a Sealink Marine Grade 12V receptacle that also came with a plug. I like this unit. The plug seals the port when it's plugged in and you have to twist it to remove it so you don't have to worry about it vibrating out.

First I marked off the fender for the hole using the switch bracket as a template:

Then I drilled holes in the corners that were big enough to fit my jigsaw blade through.

After the hole was cut I fine tuned it with a file.

Installed the the switch bracket.

and the the switches...

after wiring the whole shooting match up...

I had this: power port on & rear work light on

Power port on and front aux lights on

It would have been more intuitive to install the switches so that they toggle fore/aft instead of left/right, but I wanted to be able to expand the switch bank at a later date if required and putting the switch the other way would not have left me that option. Also, the switches are a little strange. Since they are illuminated switches, I would think that the light would come on on the down/on side of the switch, but they don't. As you may be able to see in the pic's, the light comes on on the up/off side of the switch. I experimented with the wiring and then called the company just to make sure I wasn't wiring them incorrectly and they confimed that this was the correct operation. Strange, but the switches are nice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: 12V power port & light switch installation

Excellent Job. Man how'd it feel when you first started drilling holes in that shiny new fender? Thanks for the pictoral documentation.
TractorsRgreen

·
Registered
52 Posts

did they wire it so that when it was off it was lit up too so you could find the switch in the dark if it was off? That would make sense to me, once you have the light on it doesn't need to be backlit. Very nice, I am going to be installing some lights in a new sunshield that I got to put on the ROPs. I have been looking for lights with switches on them that way I don't have to put a switch in the system also. Hope I can take picture like this when I do it too. Thanks Loogie...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

did they wire it so that when it was off it was lit up too so you could find the switch in the dark if it was off? That would make sense to me, once you have the light on it doesn't need to be backlit. Very nice, I am going to be installing some lights in a new sunshield that I got to put on the ROPs. I have been looking for lights with switches on them that way I don't have to put a switch in the system also. Hope I can take picture like this when I do it too. Thanks Loogie...
I guess I wasn't clear about the switches. They illuminate when they are powered only (but they are available to always be lit too). On the ON-OFF-ON switch, when I push down on one side of the rocker switch I would expect that the light under my finger (on the "selected" side of the switch would illuminate, but instead the light on the opposite side of the switch comes on. On ON-OFF switch with only one light, you have to push down on the side of the switch where there is no light to turn it on. then the light illuminates on the other side of the switch.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That looks very nice but please tell me you fused the wires very close to the battery?????????:trink39:
I put a waterproof inline fuse holder in under the front end where it's easiest to get to.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Excellent Job. Man how'd it feel when you first started drilling holes in that shiny new fender? Thanks for the pictoral documentation.
TractorsRgreen
That was a little freaky! I had to take a few deep breaths first. I tried to put on of these :Stop: in my post but it counted it as a picture on I'm limited to 10.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I put a waterproof inline fuse holder in under the front end where it's easiest to get to.
If it were me I would fuse it right at the battery if anything shorts by rubbing or whatever you will burn alot of wire till it hits the fuse this is how we install all our Ham Radio gear prevents major damage! :fing32:

·
USMC
19,146 Posts

Nice job Loogie, I fused mine at the battery. slkpk

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts

Loogie,

Nice job!

·
4,221 Posts

Wow, that is one nice looking project. Ok let's see the carry all and sprayer added to it. If you have some time could you do mine?

·
4,221 Posts

Also how about a list of all the parts needed and where you got them? I think you said before but I can't recall.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks for the kind words guys (and all the advice). I picked up the carry-all today and painted it. Tomorrow I'll finish assembling the sprayer and I'll try to get some pic's up.

·
4,221 Posts

Well I ordered everything but I have one question. The plates that the switch mounts to/in. Did that come with the switch?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

No, I got them at West Marine. I'll try to post the url.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...switch bracket/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

If that link doesn't work, just search "switch bracket". They are made by Cole Hersee. You might be able to find another source. The individual pieces fit together with dovetails. Two is the minimum # of switches you can have but you can add as many as you want. The pictures on their website aren't accurate, so make sure you're ordering the proper bracket.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well, the sprayer is almost operational. I discovered that I was missing a part - the hose that connects the boom to the pump. They're sending one out today which means that I'll have to wait until next week to do any spraying with the boom.

Here's a quick picture of the fuse holder and location since some of you were wondering:

Here's the carry-all. One flaw in my design. The iMatch hooks protrude past the frame by about 1/4 inch. It's no problem for me though, but I thought I'd point it out just in case any of you decide to build one. The guy did an awesome job (much more than I really needed). He ground all the welds flat on the face and mitered the corners of the angle-iron instead of overlapping it as I had drawn. I'm very happy with it.

Here's the sprayer setup - you'll have to wait until next week for action photos:

·
4,221 Posts

Sh__!! I have to order that and the shipping will be more then the part. Checked to see if the site where I got the other stuff had it and they don't. I hate that. Thanks for the link and it did work. Well I just need to order that plate and look for that little brown truck to show up. You know the guy with the funny shorts. Thanks for your help.

·
4,221 Posts

Wow, nice set up. You had a great idea using a carry all. What model sprayer did you get? How much smaller is the carry all then a regular one?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I got the Femco ATV-25-71 from TSC.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1034&sonID=160&page=2&productID=26820

It's a 25 gal tank, which may be a little small. We'll see. The kit comes with everything though - including the pump. The boom is very nice. Everything, with the exception of the directions, is very high quality. It's designed to go on the rear rack of an ATV, but with very minor mods it went right onto my carry-all.

Fimco makes a 60gal 3-point hitch model, but it's $650 and that doesn't include the PTO pump. I think the electric model is all I need.

The carry-all is about 6 inches shorter vertically and the legs are about 9 inches shorter than the others I've seen. I just didn't want something that big.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.