My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a better question for a Toyota forum, but I thought I'd try here before I sign up for another forum. A friend has an 86 4Runner, and she cracked the cylinder head. I found her an older style 22RE head, I think from an '84. There are some subtle (and few) differences in the head, but I am unable to tell by comparing the 2 just how difficult the swap would be. My gut tells me it won't be a big deal, but I'm only offering her advise. I'm not actually doing the work so I want to be careful. Help?

·
Registered
97 Posts
An 84 should be a 22R. If it is a 22RE it will work on the 86. I gave my 84 22R to my friend who had an 86, but he put the whole engine in. I can't remember if he kept it injected or not.

Check to see if there are any sensors on the old head. If the intake bolts up it should work. It has been five years or so since I ditched the tired 96 hp for a smallblock chevy.

·
OMG I got another LawnBoy
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be wrong on the year, but I do think it is an RE. There is no provision for the mechanical fuel pump. One of the differences, and the one I think is important is that there is a different mounting for the Ex manifold. one has 2 studs, the other has one threaded hole. this is between the 2 sets of exhause ports. Sorry, I don't have pics. I think everything else will be fine, but this makes me wonder. Thanks

*edit* I don't think an SB Chevy is in the budget. ;)

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Yes it will swap BUT, it will not work. Needs sensors on the RE engine and such. I would look for a head for that year instead. It will save a lot of headaches on the swap. RE engines were EFI and R engines were carb. Diff vacume ports,fuel pump mount,sensor placement, etc. Hope this helps ya.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.