My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Lawn Boy 22260 commercial duty at a garage sale, and I've found that the handle is EXTREMELY low. Lower than any of my other mowers, especially my 10545 that is very high, and perfect for me at 6'5. Is there any easy way to make the handle higher? It doesn't APPEAR to be adjustable, but I'm not sure why it's so **** low..

Thanks!

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
First off, great find!!! Pics??

Secondly, someone just posted in the ebay/CL deals thread a 22260 found NEW in the box, person is asking $1,000 for it.

Thirdly, well I'm no help at all on the handle issue. Seems odd that it's not adjustable somehow. Could it be that the lower portion of the handle was replaced with the wrong type making it shorter? I feel your pain with short handles, I'm 6'4" barefoot.

Post some pics of it, and the handle if you can! I'm sure someone on here has an answer!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll do my best to get some pics by the end of the day.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
You tall men need to purchase some leg adaptors and ratchet down a few inches...
Now the 22260 uses the same deck and handle that the 10424 uses, bent handles and just isnt the same as a 22261 or 10525. I dont think there is any adjustment for you. You are just too damned tall!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked a little closer, and it able to be adjusted a little bit. It doesn't make a huge difference, but it's not bad. I took some pictures, I'll have them up in a few.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She needs cleaned up, but it's not in too bad of condition. Missing the guard for the engine, though.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
Looks nice!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'm hoping it'll look much better once I get it all cleaned up! I'm planning on working this one hard, been looking for a good mower to put to work on some properties.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I have run into this problem before too. 10424 machines have the lower handle as well. From what i have found, that 22260 mowers that are 1998 and 1999 have shorter top handles. I cant mow with these, My back hurts enough as it is. I have 6 and enough parts to make more 22260s. I only use the ones that have long handles...

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I have run into this problem before too. 10424 machines have the lower handle as well.
:ditto:

I have thought about selling my 10424 because it's handle is too low and hurts my shoulders and back.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I bought this thing without hearing it run.. owner wasn't sure if there was mixed fuel in it, or just straight gas. Went out tonight, drained the tank, filled it up with some mixed gas, and it started first pull. Runs beautiful, cut the back lawn with it. Not a bad mower for $50!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
ya, I'm 6'5" also and the handles on both the 10424 & 22260 were too low for me.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
good looking comml' unit there

prob find some one w a tubing bender,measure the lower half& make it 6" or more longer out of tubing or electrical conduit
or possibly straighten out the bends down low to make the height or will the handle brackets not allow that ?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man, this baby cleaned up REALLY nice! Only used some fantastic, a scrub brush and a hose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts