My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my tractor has aprox 450 hrs on it and used mostly for the loader and mowing. i was doting a small car trailer empty and it started a bearing tick. the local dealer said it was normal and they didn't hear anything. it created some white smoke on start up but cleared up after a min or 2. well i was using it today moving the empty bri mar dump trailer around and loading scrap metal. and it just shut off. i went to restart and it cranked and cranked with alot of black smoke and then after a few 10 second cycles it fired back up with a horrible knock, it seems to be comign from the top end somewhere behind the waterpump. does anyone know much about these machines and is ther eany common motor problems?

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Even if it's not under warranty I would have the dealer check it out. slkpk

·
Central Kentucky
1,245 Posts
The smoke kind of leads me to consider fuel system first. I had a Cummins Diesel engine that had the same hard to start, and smoking problems you are experiencing. The the high pressure fuel pump was the culprit. The knocking noise? In my Cummins, the mechanic said a gear had failed inside the pump.

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
There are no notable problems with this motor so what you have is a bit odd. One of the things we are finding out about the 2210 is that there is an upper driveshaft that isn't mentioned in the owners manual and that is not easy to get at that needs to be greased. Some folks are having these fail at around the hours of your tractor. Any chance the knocking is coming from the upper shaft u-joints? :)

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
ok my tractor has aprox 450 hrs on it and used mostly for the loader and mowing. i was doting a small car trailer empty and it started a bearing tick. the local dealer said it was normal and they didn't hear anything. it created some white smoke on start up but cleared up after a min or 2. well i was using it today moving the empty bri mar dump trailer around and loading scrap metal. and it just shut off. i went to restart and it cranked and cranked with alot of black smoke and then after a few 10 second cycles it fired back up with a horrible knock, it seems to be comign from the top end somewhere behind the waterpump. does anyone know much about these machines and is ther eany common motor problems?
White smoke= Water vapour, not a problem if it stops once the engine's warmed up in which case it's probably just condensation in the system, if it continues check head gasket and for water in oil.

The black smoke and the load knock...First guess would be a failed injector.. allowing unatomized fuel to enter a cylinder.. this produces a loud, mechanical sounding knock and smoke from unburnt fuel.

·
White smoke= Water vapour, not a problem if it stops once the engine's warmed up in which case it's probably just condensation in the system, if it continues check head gasket and for water in oil.

The black smoke and the load knock...First guess would be a failed injector.. allowing unatomized fuel to enter a cylinder.. this produces a loud, mechanical sounding knock and smoke from unburnt fuel.
Ditto on what Paul said.
Sounds like an injector.

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i did soem investigating, it has a loud verry audible knock just behind the waterpump, i have ruled out waterpump and poped valve cover off and its got a little oil but its not pumping oil up to the rockers etc. is there anywhere i can download a shop manual for this perticular motor? its the 220 series deere but manufactured by yarnmar. and next question would i be able to put a yarnmar out of a 330 diesel into it so i can continue to use it tilli find the right motor for this machine?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and its a white smoke that burns your eyes so could be a combination of problems. i belive white smoke that burns eyes is preignition is that corect? i am not used to these small diesels so please forgive my questions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
and its a white smoke that burns your eyes so could be a combination of problems. i belive white smoke that burns eyes is preignition is that corect? i am not used to these small diesels so please forgive my questions.

Still, If it was me.... I'd start buy taking the injectors to a diesel shop and test them out. It wont cost a lot to just pop test em. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the internals, 500 hours is nothing and it would take a great deal of abuse to spin a bearing or crack something. And even then, by now you would have seized something or completely trashed it and it wouldn't run at all.

Edit:

Just re-read the part about no oil up to the rockers. Did you check the oil pressure with a gauge? Can you get the gear cover off the engine while it's in the frame?

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
well i did soem investigating, it has a loud verry audible knock just behind the waterpump, i have ruled out waterpump and poped valve cover off and its got a little oil but its not pumping oil up to the rockers etc. is there anywhere i can download a shop manual for this perticular motor? its the 220 series deere but manufactured by yarnmar. and next question would i be able to put a yarnmar out of a 330 diesel into it so i can continue to use it tilli find the right motor for this machine?
You won't find a download, as JD protects its proprietary information quite religiously...
Here is the parts of a 3TNE74 Yanmar
http://boatdiesel.com/Engines/Yanmar/Yanmar-Manuals.cfm?PDFID=3970317065718

You'll have to order the Technical Manual TM2074 2210 Compact Utility Tractor from John Deere...

Trying to marry a different motor would seem to introduce a whole raft of problems ...on that question...I'd contact your local JD Dealership

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
No...White smoke= Water vapour, not a problem if it stops once the engine's warmed up in which case it's probably just condensation in the system, if it continues check head gasket and for water in oil.

Did you check to see if you have water in the oil?

Did you check to see if you appear to be losing coolant?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and it does not leak coolant or burn coolant, and nothing in the oil. and if an injector is misfiring(example my 87 f 350 6.9 idi had weak injectors, and a new pump it caused the injectors to pop premature and did not burn coolant or anything but made a white bluish smoke that burned your eyes badddddd) i know what a diesel burning coolant smells like my 450 crawler cavitated 2 sleves and was burning about a gallon of coolant every 5 galon of fuel.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well, the general consensus seems to be that your white smoke is from moisture getting into the combustion chamber. From personal experience also, some of those fuel pumps can get quite noisy. You've ruled out coolant as the moisture source, so I only have one question of you at this point:

Have you checked for water in the fuel?? Pull out the fuel filter(s) and check for water, also run a cup of so out of the fuel line to the filter(s) into a clear container and observe for any contamination. If you've excessive moisture in the fuel it may be the source of the white smoke and/or cause noise/damage in your high pressure pump!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh well i am just frusterated with it, i am gonn apull motor and just start pullign everythign apart, hoping if its a spun bearing its not on the inner berings that are machined into the block.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
oh well i am just frusterated with it, i am gonn apull motor and just start pullign everythign apart, hoping if its a spun bearing its not on the inner berings that are machined into the block.
Why don't you check the injectors first, before tearing into it? It would be a shame if it is as simple as a bad injector. I would go as far as pulling them, and then turning it over- see if the knock is there when the mass is rotating.

·
Just passing through
8,413 Posts
Did you at least check the injectors before you go nuclear on the engine...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts