My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After four and a half hours of bush hogging, I parked my 2210 in the driveway. I went inside to get something to drink, and when I came back out, there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid on my driveway. What had happened was that I had wedged a cup between my fender and seat, and inadvertently but my PTO selector in the middle position (Rear PTO + Mid PTO), so my mid PTO was running all the time w/o my MMM attached. Grass had wound itself around the PTO shaft. After 15 minutes of pulling the grass off the PTO shaft, the fluid started leaking more. I think the seal is gone!

Anybody have any insight as to how to replace this seal? I'm due for fluid change, so I'm not worried about retaining fluid if I have to crack the tranny open.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
After four and a half hours of bush hogging, I parked my 2210 in the driveway. I went inside to get something to drink, and when I came back out, there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid on my driveway. What had happened was that I had wedged a cup between my fender and seat, and inadvertently but my PTO selector in the middle position (Rear PTO + Mid PTO), so my mid PTO was running all the time w/o my MMM attached. Grass had wound itself around the PTO shaft. After 15 minutes of pulling the grass off the PTO shaft, the fluid started leaking more. I think the seal is gone!

Anybody have any insight as to how to replace this seal? I'm due for fluid change, so I'm not worried about retaining fluid if I have to crack the tranny open.
Mow I just looked in on my TMS for my 2305 and it appears that the seal is a press fit seal and you do NOT have to crack open the case to replace the seal. I was not able to copy and paste a the picture but it appears that a normal seal puller should pull the old one out and a drift punch or a thick wood dowel should reinstall a new one.

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Well, that's a first. Let us know how you make out Mow.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a seal from JD for a little under $3. Now if you could just fix "stupid"....

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Wow, Mow, one of those weird things that happens! I will make sure my mid PTO is turned off on my 2210 now. I don't even have a MMM, but still, makes me want to double check.

Let us know if you get it done by yourself. I guess we will all need to replace those seals at some time, even if no grass.

·
Somewhere on here is a thread about a cover (similar
to the one for the rear pto) for the mid pto. I can't
find it right now, but I do remember reading it. Anyway,
the jist of it was that Deere does make one.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts