My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Does anyone have experience with the gear reduction starter from Hoye for a 2210?
The price is much easier to swallow than the 'original' replacement starter.
That said, I don't want to waste any money and am willing to purchase the original if it's worth it.
I appreciate honest feedback and any assistance.
Thank you very much in advance.
Take care.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I personally don't have any experience but have read of others experience. Here is one by a knowledgeable man (California) on TBN.

I've mentioned this before - I got on Ebay and bought a starter with the same physical dimensions but higher output than what belonged on my YM240.

When I bought the tractor it had a poorly-rebuilt starter that was past the warranty date written on it with auto-wrecker's yellow paint-pen. I thought buying new was better than rebuilding that very slow one. I think original spec is 1.2 or optional 1.4 KW, I found a 2 KW starter listed for a 4 cylinder 40hp Yanmar that had the same dimensions as OEM. One change, the wire down from keyswitch to solenoid had to be lengthened a few inches, no big deal. This starter cost $99.

This more powerful starter still cranks frantically 10 years later. I recommend doing this if the original starter isn't worth rebuilding.

And 1) this could be the remedy, or at least a patch, for a low compression hard to start engine to put off rebuilding it for a few years.

2) These starters use the same small-parts kit as the similar Japanese automotive starter of the same brand name. A DIY rebuild using the proper kit wouldn't cost much. Look on Ebay.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally don't have any experience but have read of others experience. Here is one by a knowledgeable man (California) on TBN.
Thanks, Winston.
So it sounds like California is saying that the 2kw gear reduction starter is ok to use?
My main concern is I don't want to damage anything on my 2210.
The unit Hoye is selling is 15 tooth, 2kw.
This should be ok, correct?
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts