My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the fan on the driveshaft that cools the transaxle.Is there an easy way to get the driveshaft off without pulling the transaxle?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
So far I haven't had to do that. However last year I took everything apart during the winter to give it a good cleaning. I took my time and had the ROPs fenders and floor off in about 2.5 hours and enjoying a beverage or two. slkpk

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
There is a thread on here bout doing this... I don't recall what it was called.. Maybe try doing a search in the cut forum and it should come up..

·
MTF Poster
41 Posts
There is an easier way than having to split the tractor. Basically, remove the floor board to gain access to the fan. Several people have cut the fan in half then put it on the tractor. There are 4 bolts holding it in place. Otherwise, you will need to split the tractor to replace the fan. Reports from those that have done it, suggests that there are no problems nor increased vibration.

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
This is a reprint of either a post or a private email sent to me from a 2305 owner who replaced his fan. I'm sorry that I've forgotten who it was and when I printed out the text I neglected to copy their name. If the owner of following sees this post, please take credit for it.

"I notice a few people had a cooling fan issue, stick breaking the blades and the nightmare of trying to figure out how to replace it. This exact thing happened to me, and for those of you wondering how to replace it, here is what you need to do. A friend of mine, who is an experienced heavy equipment mechanic helped me out.

First we removed the parts that the arms of mmm attach to (large gold busing). Then we took apart the drive shaft by removing the split ring and knocking out the pin. Then we were able to access the fan, and remove the damaged one with a flexible ratchet and replaced it with the new one. Then we put everything back together. It definitely helped having my friend to help me out, he definitely has the experience and appropriate tools to make the job easier. It took about an hour or so."

I copied the post or email some time ago and put in my JD file in case I ever had the same problem. Maybe, that is of help. Let us know. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all.I dont think a stick broke the fan because the one blade that is left is like gello the main body of it is stress cracked all over.I seen the clip so I will try it that way.Thanks again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the driveshaft out .Its a tight fit but I was able to get the front pin knocked out.I found that the front u joint is bad but the only way to get it at the local dealer is to buy the whole driveshaft at $500.00.So if anyone may have a place online let me know.My local auto parts is going to try and find a u-joint for me.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Thanks for posting that JDFan.. Its not my work.. But i sure do like the help yall give folks here.. Just saying thanks for that...
Anytime! :thThumbsU

1 - 10 of 10 Posts