My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
dysFUNctional
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I purchased a 22" tiller from a site member:

And I thought I would like to have the extension kit so that it goes the full width of the tractor. Well...don't cha know those things are non-existent on the resale/for sale on any tractor site. Then another member on here purchased the same model tiller but theirs had shot gears in the gearbox. He kept the mounting frame and made a sleeve hitch out of it and I got the tines assembly from him and made my own extension.

I heated up and banged out the extension from the right side. I could not get either tine hub to budge off the shaft so I just torched the pair of them off from the left side. I cut the hood at approximately 11 inches wide when measured from the left side.

All that banging bent the hubs a little. I flipped the extension to the other side and also had to flip the hubs so that the cut side faced outwards in order to get the carriage bolt holes to line up correctly. I used three bolts to hold the hubs to the extension to the two hubs.

I lined up the holes and began hammering the extension onto the tiller.

I couldn't find any clevis pins that would fit it so I just used a nut and bolt. I attached the old tines using new carriage bolts. They are a little worn but still have some useful life left in them. I may move them around and put some of the better ones on each hub and spread the worn ones across the whole width.

Here is the hood mocked up as it will sit but it still needs to be welded together.

After I weld it up I'll give it a shot of paint. I haven't decided if I am going to fab up a leveling board or not. So for now this is my homemade tiller extension for my 22" tiller.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am all for juicing stuff up to the max, but,, I give that gearbox about a 100 feet of tilling then it is going to explode. Not putting the rig down but to have any chance, you would need to make no play in the gears of that gearbox, make them so tight, they just turn.

I don't know... Good luck old warrior, why do I feel I am saying goodbye for the last time.

Don't worry about the paint until it proves it'self.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I have two Bolens tillers with bad gears in them. Both have the extension kits. Bought them really cheap just to get the spare tines.

I am of the opinion that adding the extra load to the gearbox is detrimental to these tillers. I could well be wrong.

Mike

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,467 Posts
On my large frame tiller, I do not have an extension kit but my 1886 did come with one with an extension. I never used the tiller but the tongs on the bottom were quite used and a little lose, mine are tight on my personal one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine has the extension (although I'm missing the hood extension) and it's been holding up fine. I've tilled our garden with it a few times now and who knows how many times it was put to use by previous owners. I have more tine extensions too, but that's just too much for the little engine and tires... I never put any thought into the gearbox longevity.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,467 Posts
It looks factory!

·
dysFUNctional
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well...I am not ready to turn mine under nor am I putting a new one in at this time. So, here it is tilling up about a 8-10 foot section in the wooded area, free floating (depth arm tucked up). It's in 1 low and when I brake you can see it digs down as far as it can. And you can also see it is kicking up a few Pocono Potatoes (aka rocks). I'll till it 'til it twon't no more:

http://www.streetextremes.com/images/B1254Tractor/tiller/tillingtest.mp4

I am happy with it and expect it will do just fine in an already turned area that gets turned again and again spring and fall. We shall see. Two chances - one it'll last and one it won't.

·
Registered
704 Posts
2 things to watch for. Heat from the area of the worm gear and discoloration on the thin metal plug in the back of the gearbox. And,if you should ever see friction burn marks on your driveshaft wear it hooks to your tiller gearbox, you are nearing the end of life for that tiller. I have personally smoked 3 of these tillers due to extensions and using it in un-tilled soil. Just a heads up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.