My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, is everybody choosing these things? :)

Hoping for no rain Saturday (delivery day) and/or Sunday. Pictures forthcoming. :)

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Congrats! People know a good thing when they see it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello...I have been posting several times over the past few weeks and was prepared to finally purchase either the Simplicity Regent or John Deere X300. However, over the past few week, a few family and personal medical issues have prevented that, and that is why I have not made the purchase yet, and why I have been absent from the forum. I will say, that everything, medically speaking has worked out fine for all. So, I can now get back on track and get the darn tractor.

I am going later today, but must say, I am so hung up on the two models listed below, that I am driving myself crazy and cannot make up my mind.

I want to forget about by 1/3 or a bit more of flat lawn and just base my choice on tractor reliability, ease of use, and deck performance.

I think my main question is: If the John Deere X300 and the Regent 22/44 are the same price, which is the better choice?

The John Deere for the same price has an additional 2-year warranty and from what everyone says, is a sturdier built machine, but others have said the Simplicity cuts better. The difference in engines, most have said is a toss up.

Since I will have the dealer perform all service work and not me, I am thinking the John Deere for the additional warranty and sturdier parts might win out if they are both at the same price???? I also see John Deere will come to you for service. But, that Simplicity cut and floating deck seems to be a big deal with some people.

Sorry to drive everyone nuts. I almost need an agent to just buy the darn thing for me, then I can forget about all of this pre-buying craziness.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came down to those 2, as well.

For me it was:

1) Cut. Simplicity wins out here, and for a tractor that I expect to use for minimally 95% of its life cutting grass, that's important
2) Price. At MSRP, the Deere equivalent to the 22/44 would be a 320, about 1k more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Hancox...I am not sure if I understand you correctly on the MSRP issue. I know the John Deere X300 retails for $2999 and the Regent 22/44 retails for $2900, so wouldn't these two be comparable to compare???

I can buy the John Deere for $2825 and the Regent for $2800. This is why I am hung up on for the same price, is the Deere build and part quality, along with the additional 2-year warranty, possibly the better choice???

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome back Adman....been wondering.............:trink40:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adman - the x300 at 2999 is a 17hp at either 38 or 42 inch deck.

I know HP is a bit of a gimmick, but I think the 320 is a better 1:1 comparison (22 hp, 48" deck)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Hancox...That 320 model is really way over my price range when I only have about 1/3 acre of flat grass, with no plans of using the tractor for anything else.

Unless others are wrong or misleading, they have led me to believe that the 17hp Kaw is just as good, if not better than the 22hp Briggs????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, that's what I was off-hand mentioning with the "gimmick" part. :)

honestly, if it were me, I would seriously look at the smaller decks / engines in the Regent, and save yourself some cash. 44 is awfully big for 1/3 acre.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Is your yard open or do you have trees etc. 1/3 acre is not terribly demanding. Maneuverability should be considered, I would think. If just an open yard, then the larger deck cuts down on machine hours as well as seat hours. If you have lots of stuff to cut around, a smaller deck would make life easier.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. I say this because I have a ton of trees on 1.5 acres. Mine came with a 60" deck and I wish I had one smaller just for the reasons mentioned.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I came down to those 2, as well.

For me it was:

1) Cut. Simplicity wins out here, and for a tractor that I expect to use for minimally 95% of its life cutting grass, that's important
2) Price. At MSRP, the Deere equivalent to the 22/44 would be a 320, about 1k more.
:ditto: For the Deere you pay extra for the name alone. Compare apples to apples. John Deere's name isn't worth extra $$$ in my book.Simplicity's quality wins out.
I'm not bashing Deere. In this case apples to apples. Regent wins. If money is no option upgrade the Deere and get the X320.
Congrats on the Regent Hancox!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would pick the Simplicity all the way. The mower deck is far better and cut is far better than Deere, Had two deere tractors. One was a LX277 wirh 42in deck and a 335 with 48in deck. the 42inch was ok but I hated the 48inch. Mulching with the 48 inch did a bad job. My 42inch deck had four wheels on it and was much nicer than the X300 deck. I'm now mowing with a Snapper L200 with a 44inch deck and it's doing a fantastic mulching job. The deck on the Simplicity is the same deck just free floating and I'll bet it would do even better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know I am in the Simplicity forum, but I figured I would still receive and unbiased opinion. As mentioned earlier by another poster I am down to the Siplicity Regent 22/44 and the John Deere x300. The Simplicity is $2,600 at the dealer and a fellow just traded in a 2008 x300 with 40 hours on it at the John Deere dealer for a zero turn mower. The dealer is asking $2,350 for it.

I thought the dealer would come down a couple hundred dollars for a used x300, but maybe not. Also, 3 years of warranty on the Deere and a new machine with 2 years on the Simplicity.

Comments?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello VW Creditman...This is just my opinion, and believe me, I am a dummy when it comes to lawn tractors. i've been posting on this site for over a month and was agonizing over the Regent 22/44 or the John Deere X300 42" mulching deck. I drove myself nuts and probably everyone on this site. i will say, all posters were very nice and helpful and provided me with plenty of information and things to look out for.

I finally did make my purchase a few days ago and even though it was a tough choice, I decided to buy the John Deere X300 over the Regent and here were my reasons if they mean anything at all.

I looked over, studied information and drove and cut with both tractors. I was actually at both dealers for 2-hours each. From what I learned and could see and feel, the John Deere X300 is built much better and sturdier and has the better Kawasacki engine. Yes, the Regent probably has a somewhat better deck and can give you those great looking stripes, but I could care less about the stripes. For this kind of money, I want something that will last. The Deere was more comfortable to me too.

I figured...The Regent 22/44 was going to be sold to me for $2650 with a 2-year warranty. The X300 cost me $2700 with a 4-year warranty. Except for the striping, I thought both cut almost the same. The frame and motor in my view were more refined and sturdier on the Deere.

You have to remember that Simplicity is now owned by Briggs, and the Simplicity Regent is now considered their ENTRY TRACTOR, BUT STILL WITH THE OLD SIMPLICITY PRICES THAT WERE HIGH, EVEN THOUGH THE QUALITY IS NOT THE SAME. The Regent, in my view, as an entry level tractor should be compared to the John Deere LA series, because everything I learned about the Regent from a quality standpoint, matches the John Deere LA series. The X300 is far above that.

So, I felt that paying that high for a Regent was way too high for the quality and what you get. The floating deck isn't worth that high premium in my view. I am not saying I am right, I am just voicing my opinion as to why I chose the X300 over the Regent. Plus that additional John Deere warranty was the clincher.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey Adman, can you be a bit more specific about how you came to the conclusion that the Regent 22/44 is comparable to the LA Series from JD?

I was in the market for a new tractor a few weeks ago, which is how I discovered this forum, and found that the Regent 22/44 was definitely comparable to the JD X300. In fact, I didn't find much of a difference.

The Regent 22/44 has a better tranny than the X300. The X300 and LA Series both share the K46 while the Regent 22/44 has the K46 HD. Most would agree that the Regent 22/44 gives a superior cut (although that is one's opinion), and both frames and decks are constructed from 12 gauge steel. The Regent's deck is 44" while the X300 is 42". Although not a big difference, it does make it a bit easier to get closer to the flower beds and, combined with the bigger tires on the Regent, you cut a bigger swath while cutting which makes for a nicer end product. The Kawasaki engine vs. Briggs V-Twin seems to be a toss up as to which one is "better." Not that I know much about engines, but from what I've read you can get a heated argument from both camps. The Regent has a smaller turning radius, which I've found to be a tremendous help and it has the ability to cut at an infinite number of heights, something the X300 can't do.

The only thing that I can find of any significance that the X300 has over the Regent 22/44 is the paint. JD's paint is actually powder coated, I don't think the Simplicity is. This means that the JD will have a harder time forming rust. Also, the JD X300 weighs slightly more, about 40lbs. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but I'm sure it speaks to the quality of the parts used in manufacturing the tractor.

So, although I realize I am a bit biased since I bought a Regent 22/44, I would like to know how you can compare the Regent to the JD LA Series when it compares very favorably to the X300? And in many cases, it beats the X300.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You have to remember that Simplicity is now owned by Briggs, and the Simplicity Regent is now considered their ENTRY TRACTOR, BUT STILL WITH THE OLD SIMPLICITY PRICES THAT WERE HIGH, EVEN THOUGH THE QUALITY IS NOT THE SAME. The Regent, in my view, as an entry level tractor should be compared to the John Deere LA series
Yes the Regent is Simp's entry level machine, but you can only find it at their dealers, not HD and Lowe's. Just because a manufacturer has an entry level machine does not mean it's comparable to another manufacturers. You may as well compare a Mercedes entry level car to a Chevy Malibu.

Are you saying Simplicity has lost quality? I've been around Simp's all my life and they have gained in quality and that quality is better than JD. All the Simp's I have known as a kid are still going strong and I'm 38. The JD LT160, which would equate to a x300 series now, my grandmother purchased new a few years ago is a nice machine but certainly doesn't seem to have the same quality or durability as a Simp.

Price wise when compared with apples to apples the Simps are right on or lower than a competitive JD. And the greatest part is when you buy a Simp the dollars remain dollars not Chinese pesos or whatever they call them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello Smolenski and MonsterGumbo...I am not qualified to provide you with specific answers to the questions you have for me, because this is my first lawn tractor and without using it, or having been around them long enough, I do not have enough hands on knowledge to give you an intelligent answer.

My opinions as to why I chose the John Deere over Simplicity was based on things I have read, and have been told by both John Deere and Simplicity dealers.

One Simplicity dealer is a client of mine and knew I was looking at both his Simplicity Regent and the John Deere X300. He was the one that told me Simplicity is still a very good product, but the quality, even though good, is not the same as it was before Briggs bought the company. He indicated that the Briggs ELS engine that comes with the Regent has actually had more problems than the lower grade Kohler Courage that comes in two of the other Regent series. He said the carburator clogs up a lot with the Briggs.

I am not a diehard John Deere fan or Simplicity fan since I have never owned either one before. I cannot agree or disagree with both of your comments because I do not know if you are correct or not. Like you said, I am sure, everyone will have a different opinion. I only mentioned why I chose one over the other and it was only based on reading and comments from the dealers, plus, my actual test drives.

The only point I will disagree on is when you say the Simplicity is right on or lower that a competitive JD. I do not know how you have come to that conclusion. If what you say is true, that both the Regent and X300 are in the same comparable ballpark, how can a retail Regent 22/44 at $2900 with a 2-year warranty, compare the same to the X300 John Deere at a retail of $2999 with a 4-year warranty? Purchase an extra Simplicity 2-year warranty to equal the JD's 4-year warranty and the Simplicity is now around $3500. Everyone I have talked too says Simplicity's are over priced.

The extra two year warranty, to me, is a great insurance policy. Just wondering how many Regent owners in years 3 and 4 will have major problems that cost a small sum and wish they had that extra 2-year warranty.

In any event, I have a unconditional 30-day money back guarantee with the John Deere that will be delivered to me next Tuesday. If I do not like it within 30-days, I can return it for a full refund or exchange it. Must say something for the quality and confidence JD has. No one else offers that. If I don't like it, I will buy the Regent.

I am excited because all of this has been and will continue to be a great learning experience. Unless you and I get lemons, you would think they will both last a long time with proper maintenance.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts