My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bad plastic starter gear and bushings on a Cub Cadet Model 2160 16 HP B&S Horz shaft engine. Ordered new starter on E-bay. Only 2 bolts to remove. Bottom bolt is in the clear, but top bolt is half behind starter gear.

I'm hoping when I go to take off that I can rotate gear in and get at bolt. Any idea's thanks....:banghead3

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Still working at it. I moved gear but starter clutch still blocking. Removed starter shell helps some. 13 mm socket 1/4 dr with swivel will almost fit on. Going to see if I can find 13mm with built in swivel.

I may have to use a saws-all to cut shaft and put new starter back with cap screw, which I have a straight shot, but I know there's a better way.
This is a 2 cylinder V-style engine. 16 HP mid 90's Vanguard.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got starter off, waiting now for new starter and bracket.

Shaft too hard for easy hacksawing so I used the flats of a cresent wrench to break org alum starter bracket (new starter comes with bracket). Then pulled armiture out and removed 2nd 13mm bolt, done. Will use cap screw installing.

I guess proper way would be to remove engine, sheet metal, flywheel and use flat wrench from flywheel side. Gee I guess if it was going to be easy someone would have said so by now.....:fing32:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How would you swing a wrench. There is only 1.5" between sheet metal on left and starter bracket on right. The starter bracket blocks coming up behind starter. Even after I broke starter bracket and removed starter I could only remove bolt straight on with socket and ext.

There are different starters used between the different types of 14 HP, 16 HP and 18 hp several of which are listed on e-bay. :thanku:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts