My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Gentlemen, I am working on a Cub Cadet 2146, 13A-224F100, SN 1C300G30042. I am doing a tune up, but have a question about the transaxle.

The Parts Manual lists the transaxle as part # 618-3085A, and the pump as part # 618-3111. I have done a google search, but can't find out what model this transaxle is. I have seen references that it is a HydroGear, but I can't find anything for sure.

So, can anyone tell me which transaxle this is?

Thanks,

Seth K. Pyle

·
10K and Climbin!
12,717 Posts
Good Afternoon Gentlemen, I am working on a Cub Cadet 2146, 13A-224F100, SN 1C300G30042. I am doing a tune up, but have a question about the transaxle.

The Parts Manual lists the transaxle as part # 618-3085A, and the pump as part # 618-3111. I have done a google search, but can't find out what model this transaxle is. I have seen references that it is a HydroGear, but I can't find anything for sure.

So, can anyone tell me which transaxle this is?

Thanks,

Seth K. Pyle
This website show two different hydro tranny's.. Your 618-3085A and also a 618-3231.. I don't know what the difference is but maybe it would help if you stated why you need to know what tranny you have.. (Broken axle perhaps?) Let us know..

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello WNYTractorTinkerer, thanks for replying! Which website are you looking at?

Nothing is wrong with the transaxle, to my knowledge. I was just wondering out of curiosity.

I pressure washed all the crud off the transaxle last night. I am going to crawl up under the tractor to see if I can find any numbers.

Thanks,

Seth K. Pyle

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I found: on the pump assembly at the front of the transaxle, I found a Hydro Gear model tag: BDU-10L-221. On the back of the transaxle, just under the dipstick, I found a tag with the numbers: 618-3081A.

So, this tells me that the hydrostatic part is Hydrogear, providing varying speed/direction of rotation of an input shaft to an MTD transaxle, both sharing the same lubrication system.

Make sense?

Seth K. Pyle

·
10K and Climbin!
12,717 Posts
Here is what I found: on the pump assembly at the front of the transaxle, I found a Hydro Gear model tag: BDU-10L-221. On the back of the transaxle, just under the dipstick, I found a tag with the numbers: 618-3081A.

So, this tells me that the hydrostatic part is Hydrogear, providing varying speed/direction of rotation of an input shaft to an MTD transaxle, both sharing the same lubrication system.

Make sense?

Seth K. Pyle
Does it look kinda like the label on this web page: http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Hydrogear/Hydrogear_Search.html

Yes, the hydro fluid also lubricates the gears/differential.

Here's a quick description of the hydrogear tranny... The input shaft only spins one direction as it is hooked to your engine and this drives the hydro pump (it turns & creates oil pressure.) The driven or slave pump is the other cylindrical assembly adjacent to the pressure pump. The slave pump has a valve or plate which is hooked to your shift pedal/lever linkage and as the plate changes direction and angle of the oil pressure's flow and this determines/drive's the tractor's speed and direction of travel. (watch the linkage move while you activate the pedal or levers) Once you see one of these assemblies taken apart it is easir to understand. I once saw a great video that explained it very well but can't find it now..

Servicing the trannyis pretty straight forward as long as it is working well and has a lot of hours on it..

The If there is a filter on it (not all of them do) and you would like to replace it be sure to buy the correct filter (NOT an automotive style!) or problems will arise. It is also recommended by many folks to use CC oil in this tranny.. (It's kinda pricy though.)

:goodl:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I assume your 2146 has the cast aluminum transaxle? That's a good unit that had a long production run. You hear of very few issues aside from ill fitting dipsticks. I honestly thought the transaxle units of this vintage were made by Peerless, but that BDU nomenclature is definitely Hydro-Gear corp. If so, 5-6qts of 15w40 heavy-duty motor oil is all you need. I've used the Wix xref for the trans filter over the years, but it's the same price as an OEM filter, so you may as well go OEM. Here's a 2146:

Joel

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WNYTractorTinkerer, the label on the hydraulic pump assembly, the actual hydrostatic transmission, is similar, but simpler. However, it does say Hydro Gear on it.

I am familiar with hydrostatic transaxles in general, and have repaired to from Hydro Gear, but they have been integrated transaxles. This is my first one with a separate unit, and it threw me for a loop. Looking in the Cub Cadet Service manual, it shows the same transaxle with either the BDU-10L-221 for hydrostatic, or a clutch housing and assembly for manual. So, this same transaxle could be used, depending upon which input was attached to it, hydro or clutch. That is fascinating to me.

This unit does have an oil filter, probably original, as it is yellow, says "Cub Cadet", and has some rust and a small dent or two. The oil level is low, but what oil I could read looked clean. I am going to change it all anyway to be safe. I already have the Napa Gold 1410 correct replacement hydraulic oil filter on order for $9.71, as well as 6 qts of Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil. The dipstick on this unit also fits poorly, so for now I have wrapped it in 3 turns of E-tape. I am searching for large enough heat shrink tubing to use that. From my research, I get the impression that even a new dipstick will fit poorly. This unit had a lot of dirt/oil spooge all over the transaxle, so I am going to say that the dipstick was leaking for awhile. I am going to pay close attention for leaks once I get it up and running.

Jmoe, yes this is the cast aluminum transaxle. Thanks for the photo, that is the tractor I am working on. Too bad the previous owner left it to rot for a good long time in his yard. There is a great deal of surface rust on the body, hood, side panels, and deck.

Thanks gentlemen!

Seth K. Pyle

·
10K and Climbin!
12,717 Posts
Here's a complete parts list for that tractor. Download it and save the file on your hard drive and you will have it for future reference. I have one of the dreaded clutch models along with a hydro.. Here's the address: http://www.outdoordistributors.com/pdf/CUBCADET/CUBCADET-2146_TRACTOR.pdf

The rubber plug isn't one of the best designs in the world..:banghead3 They are about $10 + shipping..
(PN- 727-3085)http://www.m-and-d.com/MTD-727-3085.html I tried the elec. tape too but it still leaked :banghead3

:goodl:

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link, WNYTractorTinkerer, but I already have the Operator's Manual, Parts Manual, and all the applicable Service Manuals downloaded and saved on my hard drive. I even went so far as to purchase an Onan enging manual CD so I can get repair info for the Linamar(Onan) ZX390 14.0hp single engine on this 2146.

I agree about the rubber plug, and saw it on M&D as well. I have e-tape on this one until I can come up with a better solution.

Thanks for your help!

Seth K. Pyle

·
10K and Climbin!
12,717 Posts
I'm thinking and an old threaded boat transom plug may be the trick to stop the dreaded dipstick leak.. Try the third one on this page: http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessories.php?g=424

Measure the diameter of the tranny hole and it maght be the best solution to an old problem on these darn things! :goodl: and may the Force be with you!:lalala:

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a pretty nifty idea, WNYTractorTinkerer.

Seth K. Pyle

·
Deceased as of 06 February 2021
2,076 Posts
Using one of those plugs may very well seal your transaxle, but where do you put your "much needed" dipstick?? Here's the real solution I came up with ten years ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mowergene, I like that. I had asked myself what to do with the dipstick if I were to use the expanding plug, but hadn't gotten very far in the thought process.

Thanks!

Seth K. Pyle.

I just put a fresh NAPA FIL 1410 hydraulic filter on the trans and filled it with 6qts of Rotella 15W-40. As soon as I get the engine back together, off we go!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mowergene, stupid question for you: How well does the Linamar ZX390 in your 2001 2146 crank over? I mean, with a fully charged battery, does the starter have any problem rolling the engine over past the compression stroke?

I am returning this 2146 back to life after sitting in a yard for 1-2 years. While doing a tune-up/looking for issues from sitting, I ran a leak down test and compression test. Leak down was 20%, compression was 155psi! This is with a fully charged battery. I checked the IPL for the Linamar ZX390, it did not show any kind of automatic compression release. However, the IPL for the Onan Elite E140H(which the Linamar ZX390 is evolved from), did show an ACR.

I pulled and disassembled the engine. I just need to lap the valves, but found NO ACR whatsoever. There were no components on the camshaft other than the gear. There were no signs that any components were ever there. I found nothing in the bottom of the engine, no broken parts.

Talking to some friends on PERR small engine forum, 155psi is normal for this engine, and I shouldn't have worried about it. I am used to B&S, Tecumseh, and Kohler, which don't like to see more than 100psi when cranking. However, I am second guessing myself, as I have never heard this engine run properly. I had it running on gas sprayed into the carb when I first got it, but I don't think that counts. Granted, it did start right up after I sprayed the gas and hit the key...

Thanks for listening to this meandering tale.

Seth K. Pyle

·
2,076 Posts
"mowergene, stupid question for you: How well does the Linamar ZX390 in your 2001 2146 crank over? I mean, with a fully charged battery, does the starter have any problem rolling the engine over past the compression stroke?"

I've owned this 2146 since new. I believe I'm still on my second battery. It turns over very well. It's been a great starter. In fact, it starts so well that I usually (after it's been sitting awhile) give it no gas and don't choke it until the oil has built up some pressure. I've replace the fuel pump, coil, and voltage regulator over the years, but the starter has never been touched. This Linamar is a Kubota design and stacks up there with the best of them. I have changed the oil every 25 hours on this unit and may start waiting for the 50 hour mark at this point. I, just now, switched to full synthethic Valvoline and it wants to use a couple ounces per hour.......a little smoke at startup, but hey, it's got 10 years and over 1600 hours on it with no major breakdown. I'm well pleased with it.

I'm thinking, if I were you, I'd pull the starter, clean and lube it to see if that wouldn't clear up your turn-over problems. It's old and may need some help.
Compressed air could be a very good friend, here.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks mowergene! I have the starter on the workbench, waiting for the next chance I have some time to work on this. Today is taking care of school work, tomorrow is normal work.

Thanks for the advice!

Seth K. Pyle

Oh yeah, compressed air, carb dip, Lectra-Motive, Walker-Turner drill press to chuck the shaft into to faciliate cleaning the commutator...

·
2,076 Posts
Sounds like you're on it! Do your best in school while you're young so you don't end up giving free advice (which is so often worth what you paid for it) on some tractor forum. Ha!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry to break this to you mowergene, I am just about on the wrong side of 40. I have gone back to school, chasing degrees in Industrial Maintenance and Repair.:trink40:

Thanks though!

Seth K. Pyle

·
2,076 Posts
"wrong side of 40"
When I first glanced at this quote, I immediately thought of Interstate 40.....ha.
I'm now on de udder side of 60, kid. So, keep pluggin'. As long as you're breathin' they won't bury you!

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know mowergene, I am still technically 'young'. :fing32:

Oh yeah, I am never quitting, and will live life to the fullest right up to the bitter end!

For what it is worth, thanks for the heads up in your replies on the GT2544 post. I had not realized that full throttle application of an electric PTO is bad, though now it makes perfect sense. I will instruct the owner of this 2146 in the proper operation of the PTO. As well, I will keep that in mind for my own equipment. I have a Craftsman GT18 that is in restoration jail, that has an electric PTO, and am adding an electric PTO to my Craftsman LTX1000.

Thanks!

Learning every day,

Seth K. Pyle

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.