My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bad Tractor Owner
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first off just want to say how much I appreciated everyones help on any previous posts that I have had here. The most educated and helpful people on any forums that I visit.

My 2135 is bogging down on me non-stop. If I am mowing over 7-10" grass I have to go extremely slow or the blade will totally stop. Also happens if I run into a mole hill or anything like that. As of two weeks ago I was powering through some foot tall grass full speed with no problem. Any ideas of what could be causing this?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hey guys, first off just want to say how much I appreciated everyones help on any previous posts that I have had here. The most educated and helpful people on any forums that I visit.

My 2135 is bogging down on me non-stop. If I am mowing over 7-10" grass I have to go extremely slow or the blade will totally stop. Also happens if I run into a mole hill or anything like that. As of two weeks ago I was powering through some foot tall grass full speed with no problem. Any ideas of what could be causing this?
Cuppla suggestions:

First chk to see yer mower deck drive belt is OK, not frayed/glazed/cracked - that tension is good. Replace with OEM if needed.
Next ck yer deck blades - replace if dull/damaged/etc. Also ck to see yer deck underside is not caked up with crap.Clean/replace as rq'd.
When mowing that high thick grass, don't try to "hoss" it and take it all in one fast pass. Raise yer deck up to a higher cut position - go over mowing area one time, drop deck down to desired height and re-cut same area. Yah, may hafta go slower - just remember, yer rig is designed as a finish mower, not a bush hog. A little finnese will help.
Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts

"Powering through some foot tall grass" may be exactly what is now causing your problem. Just take it a bit easier on your machine.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Agreed. 10"+ of grass is WAY too much. You will plug the underside of the deck and potentially stall the blades. If the blade stalling isn't being caused by grass clogging, you've probably got a bearing issue on the deck. A loud whirring noise from the deck (while unloaded) is usually the tell-tale of a bad spindle bearing or pulley bearing.

Joel

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Agreed.... that's a lot of grass to cut. Perhaps you could do it if you went slow enough with a high enough cut level setting.

Also if there's no one around strap up your discharge deflector like this...that'll help a lot.

·
Bad Tractor Owner
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright alright, now i feel like an idiot. maybe not 10". probably 5" - 8". And just in a small area at the back of my property. But it does seem like it may be that my belt is deteriorated or something. I will check it out as soon as I get home. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2166 that the blades would slow in taller grass more than I thought it should. Belts were all good. I found that I needed to stiffen up the spring on the front part of the deck (not the tension arm belt). Now the engine will bog down but not the blades. It took a few springs before I found the right one, because if you put too heavy of a spring on, then the main belt drive would slip.
One thing to check is your pulleys. If the belt is making the flat of the pulley, at the base of the belt shine, then your belt or pulleys are worn.

·
Registered
245 Posts
your problem lies with the pitch of your mower deck.sounds like you have neg - pitch, which will bogg your mower down.just make sure for good air flow blades about 1/2 inch lower on front of blade compared to back of blade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts