My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 212's been having fuel issues lately. It's very hard to start (pretty much won't start unless I help her out with starting fluid.) but once it gets going it will run only with the choke out and at the most will run for 5 minutes. At that point it will start to sputter like its not getting fuel and die. The strange thing is that the carb has been completely rebuilt and the fuel strainer and hose have also been replaced. Can't figure it out. Any input is appreciated. I don't know if it matters but when I rebuilt carb I removed the choke and throttle plate screws and put them back together with the same screws but only about a mm bigger

·
Registered
84 Posts
My guess is the carb is not adjusted right. Or it is still dirty.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Issue is with the carb. check your fuel pump as well.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
how long has it been sitting?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried to start tractor 2 days ago but efore that it had been sitting maybe 2 weeks inside my garage as I finihed the hood and side panels. I adjusted carb to what it says in the manual as well.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
Pull the carb feed line off, then while watching the end of that hose (coming from fuel pump), have someone crank the engine. If it spits a decent amount of fuel out, the fuel pump is working. If this is the case pull the carb and disassemble it. It's probably dirty. If you don't get fuel return, either the fuel pump is bad or your fuel line is kinked or plugged or something. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am very new here to the forum but had a very similar problem with a 212. where the fuel line connects to the gas tank was being blocked by crud in the gas tank.

Took the gas tank off, cleaned it out, reinstalled, and the fuel problem went away.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
I am very new here to the forum but had a very similar problem with a 212. where the fuel line connects to the gas tank was being blocked by crud in the gas tank.

Took the gas tank off, cleaned it out, reinstalled, and the fuel problem went away.
:ditto: The 200's have a strainer screen in the shutoff/petcock at the bottom of the tank. They can get pretty gummed up over time and I just replaced the whole thing on my 214.

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
:ditto: The 200's have a strainer screen in the shutoff/petcock at the bottom of the tank. They can get pretty gummed up over time and I just replaced the whole thing on my 214.
pulling the hose off and cranking it like I said would help with this. If it spits fuel out, problem is in the carb. if not, either pump or something in the line. then would be the time to pull the tank off and clean everything. No sense pulling it down that far unless you have eliminated any other easier possibilities first, such as the carb.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update... I should of mentioned this earlier but I have already replaced the fuel strainer and all fuel lines while I ha the fenderdeck off for paint. I hve managed to get the tractor to run, but it'll only run for maybe 5 min then sputters and dies. Took the carb off 3 times now and have cleaned and rebuilt. I think it might be time for a new carb.

·
Super Moderator
33,616 Posts
Pull the carb feed line off, then while watching the end of that hose (coming from fuel pump), have someone crank the engine. If it spits a decent amount of fuel out, the fuel pump is working. If this is the case pull the carb and disassemble it. It's probably dirty. If you don't get fuel return, either the fuel pump is bad or your fuel line is kinked or plugged or something. Good luck!

:ditto: If you haven't done this start here!

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
If you have done the above, and it pumps fuel normally, the problem is in the carb or possibly a weak spark. To test that, pull it out of the head, re attach the wire and ground the metal portion of the body of the spark plug to a head bolt or something similar while holding it with your hand. If its strong, you'll know it! lol. also, how much throttle shaft wear is in your carb?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fuel pump works. It's getting fuel,good spark as well. How would I check for throttle shaft play? I wiggled it and it seems pretty tight, not a lot of play. Would the points not being adjusted right be causing my problems?

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
have you checked the point gap? I forget off the top of my head but I want to say .020"?? I could be way off though. Does it smoke at all when it is running? this would tell me that you possibly have the points out of adjustment. Also, are you sure the carb is set correctly? for shaft play, pop off the throttle linkage on the carb and just wiggle it side to side. if you can feel it move a little tiny bit, its probably ok. but if its moving over 1/16th of an inch, its worn and will cause premature engine failure according to kohler. Im sure it has something to do with it running lean at that point. again, I could be wrong. If it does have a lot of play you can either buy a new carb, or, at your local hardware store they'll sell you some little copper washers that fit snug around the throttle shaft and snug in the bore where the throttle shaft goes in the carb. I believe it takes two of these washers. Do a search, a lot of people have talked about these washers, I have even seen part numbers for them at one point in time on here.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well then I guess I'm in need of those washers lol, alOt more than 1/16th play

·
Registered
11 Posts
your problem is where you live. ct right..... likely a 10% ethonal mixture in your gas for the last few years. its etching the inside of your tank as well as the inside of your carb. there wasnt silt or powder in it when you removed the bowl by chance? youll need to put it into a sonic cleaner with some non alkaline solvent. also what nick4030 said. if you have too much lateral movement in the throttle plate, youll create an impropper air/fuel mixture. ie lean. you dont see it in cars because we turn over tanks of fuel often, but things that sit for time with out turning over fuel often enough, boats, tractors, etc.... phase seperation and etching. the particles are so fine from the etching were using 10,000 micron filters on stuff.......i have a brand new 23hp vanguard vtwin on my 140 that i just repowered this spring. at first it would start like it was fuel injected...... now 6 months later with not enough seat time as id like, she's not as quick to start. 3 or 4 times to crank before starting. ethanol = sucks !

·
Premium Member
8,212 Posts
your problem is where you live. ct right..... likely a 10% ethonal mixture in your gas for the last few years. its etching the inside of your tank as well as the inside of your carb. there wasnt silt or powder in it when you removed the bowl by chance? youll need to put it into a sonic cleaner with some non alkaline solvent. also what nick4030 said. if you have too much lateral movement in the throttle plate, youll create an impropper air/fuel mixture. ie lean. you dont see it in cars because we turn over tanks of fuel often, but things that sit for time with out turning over fuel often enough, boats, tractors, etc.... phase seperation and etching. the particles are so fine from the etching were using 10,000 micron filters on stuff.......i have a brand new 23hp vanguard vtwin on my 140 that i just repowered this spring. at first it would start like it was fuel injected...... now 6 months later with not enough seat time as id like, she's not as quick to start. 3 or 4 times to crank before starting. ethanol = sucks !
This is entirely possible, however, there are MANY members that live in places like wisconsin that have had 10% ethanol since the 80's and no problems to speak of. As long as its not anymore than 10% it should be fine. There are others who have had a great deal of problems that they blame on ethanol. I guess its debatable though as it doesnt happen to everyone. Much more likely would be the source of the fuel itself vs the actual ethanol. Ethanol attracts water and will absorb it. Once its completely saturated it will begin to separate out. Im not sure what the climate is like where you live but if there is a lot of humidity or at least large temperature changes between day and night, the ethanol can pull water in. Obviously, to pull water in it would need a source, such as a vented cap. However, if the station you buy your fuel from has a lot of water in their underground tanks, the ethanol could be completely saturated when you buy it (meaning it has a lot of water in it), then your adding water to your tank. Generally, if you run a 10% blend your ok. the problem occurs when you store it. If its been sitting with ethanol in it, this could be your problem. In storing you should remove all the fuel from the carb and either have the tank all the way full (no room for water) or all the way empty (no ethanol to attract water). You should also have some fuel stabilizer in any stored fuel.

The ethanol will also clean crap out of the engine, if its never run ethanol and you put it in, it will burn some of the carbon out, which is actually a good thing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts