My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I finally got the new starter and nothing has changed. Still have a no crank and positive cable gets hot on both sides of solenoid. I have replaced both positive cables, repaired the melted wiring at the connector on the right side of engine and cleaned grounds. I guess I will have to push it on my trailer and take it to the dealer and have them replace the parts they should have replaced and repair whatever went wrong when the wiring melted due to the incorrect wiring routing. I never had running problems before and I am concerned whatever happened could lead to future gremlins. It could be a few days before I have time to take it in so if anyone here has any suggestions of what to look for I would appreciate them. The connector at the end of the wiring harness at the engine is partly melted. What test can I do to test it. Thanks again.

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Late to the party. But does the motor turn over by hand? Seen so many fill the cylinders with gas its not funny. When the carb leaks threw

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
gravely1964, yes the engine turns by hand. Everything was ok until dealer replaced pto clutch and routed the engine harness on the hot engine. The engine started fine to load and unload from trailer but first time I mowed with it I noticed a burning smell and found the melted wires. The engine has not started after I shut it off because of the burning smell.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I found another wire in the harness grounding out where the insulation had melted. I applied liquid electrical tape on it, waited for the first coat to dry and tried starting the engine it turned right over. I have to put another coating of the liquid tape on and then wait for it cure before I try again. I will then take it to the dealer to have them correctly install all the parts needed for the pto clutch.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have been in the auto repair business for almost 40 years. Most every shop owner or tech knows once you touch something your almost married to it. You changed my oil last week now my tire went flat, what are you going to do about it? Ever since you changed my battery my turn signal don't work. ect. With that being said the first thing you should have done is not touched the machine, but took it back and demanded it been made right. By you making repairs then there are finger pointing on who did what. But if I were you I would not take it back if they did the work for free

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Toddnails, I also worked in the auto repair business for over 20 years. I know exactly what you are talking about. The situation as I see it is I can take it back to the same dealer and only pay for the parts that should have been installed bringing the total cost to about $2100.00 ( which already is too much for the job ) or take it too another dealer and pay an additional $900.00 plus in labor bring the total for a pto clutch to $3000.00. I am at a place where I have to proceed ahead or have a clutch that probably will fail prematurely and fork out the money again in the near future. I fixed the other problems they caused because I want them done right and not by a possibly disgruntled tech. I have talked with the owner about being compensated for my work and he said he is willing to work with me. I forgot to mention that I asked the owner if he talked to Gravely tech support about the the parts that should have been replaced with this job and he said yes he had and that Gravely agreed with this board and me. I have also patronized the dealership for over 25 years and the owner has always treated me right. I put the blame on this fiasco on the tech who should have researched a job he had never done before.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Routing the starter wire too close to the exhaust seems like an honest, albeit rookie mistake. Sorry you invested in a new starter needlessly. Jumping it directly would have ruled that out.

If it were me, I'd be into them to replace said cable.

Agreed the cost of this job is getting way out of hand.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
I fixed the other problems they caused because I want them done right and not by a possibly disgruntled tech.
The story of my life. I am so gun-shy about paying most any tradesman to do work that might be shoddy, that I suffer through most tasks myself.

I always feel like they will rush through the task and move on to the next paying job. Maybe as I get older I'll feel differently.

I just did all the ball joints and the tie rods on my truck, man that job sucked even though I had rented the proper tools.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
PA RedRider, I did try to jump starter and no go. I even took the starter out and jumped it with a battery pack-no go. I am sure the starter was toast. Also the tech laid the harness that goes to to the engine on the hot engine and muffler-which I repaired. The starter wire by the engine was damaged but the battery wire going to the solenoid was the one that melted. I understand a tech- esp. a newer tech - can make a mistake. But wrong gap on clutch lever, forward clutch not adjusted right, 3 burnt and 1 melted wires, and not replacing cups with bearings-all this adds up to more then a rookie mistake. Perhaps rushing the job or not paying attention. Hopefully that is all in the past and this time the tech will have learned something from the first replacement.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This is getting ridiculous. I went to load up my 20G to take to dealer and it started right up. I backed out of the barn, put it in forward and engine died. Tried again same thing. Looked under engine cover-found gear lever disconnected and lying on top of transmission. I could not find the cotter pin that supposed to secure it. I went to the barn, found another cotter pin, installed it, engine still only runs in reverse. I have had enough so I got my come-along and chain and loaded the tractor. Also I noticed my 60 inch deck coming up crooked with the right side way higher than the left side. I have no idea why that started to happen. Take a tractor in with only one problem to fix and get back a tractor with mounting problems. Luckily I have the G18 to mow with and blow snow as I do not think I will have my G20 back very soon. Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
This has got to be incredibly frustrating, and what a shame.

Makes me glad I am able and willing to work on my own tractor. Shame you are so far away from this area, there are lots of people with the proper skills and experience.

It sounds like none of the linkages were properly adjusted during reassembly.

Sheldon

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally got my 20G back. Before I loaded it I checked for the wiring routing, pto adjustment clearance, forward clutch adjustment, and overall checked it out for obvious problems. I did get the cups back and both of them were deeply grooved over the entire surfaces. There is snow on the ground so I am guessing I will not be using it until spring. Thanks for all of the responses.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts