My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start the new season guys!! Welcome and post your plans, garden sizes, equipment you use, methods that work in your area! Also your favorite varieties and processing methods that you like or have set up, like root cellars, basement corners, etc.!
I hope health improves, but I will still have some garden, probably not the 4.5 acres we always do! Thanks, Sonny!

·
cub /siplicity
39 Posts
I plant two garden plots every year ,,, I am planning on planting a bigger crop of Roma tomatoes this year thinking a dozen plants, want to be able to can more sauce than I did last year , have seven rows of garlic in right now , planted late October, it looks great ,,, also grow leaf lettuce , spinach, radishes, potatoes, onions in early spring , then Roma tomatoes, various bell peppers , green beans , corn , cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers in summer, then turnips, plus second round of radishes, lettuce and spinach in the fall . I use my simplicity 7010 with 36inch tiller for most tillage garden work, ,,,,,,then my hand tools include a couple vintage planet Jr hoes ,,,, 2 two wheel ones and 1 one wheel , with various attachments,,,,, I also use a vintage planet Jr planter I restored for planting everything , and also a roho cultivator. Can't wait for spring to arrive !!

Reactions: sonny and Bebop

·
Administrator
6,197 Posts
I have always had an inground garden plot. Getting older now and the bending over ain't fun no more. So I built a few raised planters and raised beds. Will grow the smaller crops in them, the larger like potatoes, Zucchini, Squash etc on the larger in ground plot.

Plant Outdoor bench Botany Wood Outdoor furniture

Plant Property Tree Botany Wood

Outdoor bench Plant Vertebrate Green Wood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

I am also going to try to grow some bedding plants from seed in the house this early spring. I bought a couple of these Jiffy trays to try. Anyone have experience with them?

Plant Rectangle Food Ingredient Leaf vegetable

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
Used the Jiffy trays in the past and the one word comes to mind is fragile. The plastic outside container works well when everything is dry and all pretty looking. Adding water to provide the moisture for the seeds ends up cracking the shell from the weight if you move it anywhere.

Reactions: sonny and poncho62

·
Registered
779 Posts
Time to start the new season guys!! Welcome and post your plans, garden sizes, equipment you use, methods that work in your area! Also your favorite varieties and processing methods that you like or have set up, like root cellars, basement corners, etc.!
I hope health improves, but I will still have some garden, probably not the 4.5 acres we always do! Thanks, Sonny!
I started a 2022 garden thread at another club site--I have since my 2021 garden ended Have took in some extra ground at one end of last year's garden-----I like to till my garden land as many times as I can after the old garden year and the ground is clean of old garden plants----I have tilled 4 times this time getting ready for the 2022 garden----

I use a 4' tiller behind a 30HP 4x4 with FIL--I can't tell you enough how much that tractor and the FIL had took a load off of me since I bought it. I will have some photos later--

I have started getting my seeds together for next year--I ordered some purple hull crowder pea for this next year---I have saved many different seed from this last year crop--I like to take a paper and lay out where I wish to plant each roe and plan them out head of time.
I use a 30" tiller on my 216 JD when the crop gets big enough to run the middles so I can try to keep the middles clean.

I plant the rows at least 6' apart so I can till down one side of the middle and turn right back down and till the rest of that same middle--I find that this way I can get really close to the rows to keep them clean. Good gardening---

·
Administrator
21,922 Posts
I till a lot too. Some say that it is not good as it depletes the goodness of the soil. Some people don't till at all.
The reason I do is to control weeds as much as I can.
You mentioned above that you do above ground as well as in ground. Have you ever tried potato sacks? My son uses them and they seem to do extremely well. Lots of potatoes.

Reactions: sonny

·
Administrator
6,197 Posts
You mentioned above that you do above ground as well as in ground. Have you ever tried potato sacks? My son uses them and they seem to do extremely well. Lots of potatoes.
I watched a YouTube last night where a guy was using them. Will have look and see what I can find. I wonder of those canvas/vinyl shopping bags would work?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I till a lot too. Some say that it is not good as it depletes the goodness of the soil. Some people don't till at all.
The reason I do is to control weeds as much as I can.
If your only controlling weeds your probly not tilling real deep . I rake back my mulch and shallow till then rake my mulch back or add more . I never leave soil exposed . The shaded soil maby . Corn fields shade out .

·
Administrator
21,922 Posts
I watched a YouTube last night where a guy was using them. Will have look and see what I can find. I wonder of those canvas/vinyl shopping bags would work?
I think they would. I've seen people using tires or building up with wood. My son uses some like these. He starts the potatoes in the bottom and only puts about 1/4 full of dirt. As they grow, he continues to add dirt/potting soil to almost cover the leaves and then they sprout more potatoes out of the buried branches.

·
Super Moderator
40,100 Posts
We're going to be opening up the raised beds this spring to allow the loader to reach all the beds. Hopefully after that we will get tomatoes, zucchini, corn, beans, carrots, onions, Jalapenos, and some other things planted. I'd like to make and can some salsa this year if we can.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I was able to pull up the last of my radishes today . I am now venting the green house to help with moisture . I haven't spent much time in there because of work and health .
Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Plant Grass family

·
Registered
779 Posts
I was able to pull up the last of my radishes today . I am now venting the green house to help with moisture . I haven't spent much time in there because of work and health . View attachment 2535628
I guess those could be used as compost. I'm tilling my new end of the garden so much because of all the grass in there and it is hard to kill it but it can be done. Good Health

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I guess those could be used as compost. I'm tilling my new end of the garden so much because of all the grass in there and it is hard to kill it but it can be done. Good Health
I haven't had the time to vent it like I should to air out the ground . With spring rain comeing I went ahead and pulled the crop and cut it even with the ground hopeing to ward off any wet conditions problems .

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Getting my ducks in a row here for this year. Collected enough leaves from neighbors to hopefully mulch around tomato, and pepper plants. I do have some seed from last year I plan to start, but waiting on a 2022 seed catalog from Berlin Seeds, Berlin, Ohio, a fairly new Amish seed company I purchased from last year, in person. They were out of a particular tomato seed I want to try this year, when I was there back in Oct. Prices are pretty decent, and I consider them semi-local.
For those who did not check out the "using grow lights" thread, I thought I'd repost here about my home made germination chamber. I have less than $50 invested in it, and should last for years. It's basically a non-working fridge, mine is a large 'fridge from a camper, which was free for the taking. I stripped out the components, leaving just the shell. A small grow light from Home Depot, a digital heat pad thermostat off Amazon, and a small 2 qt. slow cooker. I set the thermostat for 95º, to control the slow cooker filled with water. It keeps the temp right at 95º, and humidity at a perfect 95% for germination. It will germinate onion, and cabbage seed in 36 hrs. Various squash in 2-3 days. Tomatoes took 4 days, peppers in 5-6 days.

Best of all, it's a self contained unit, other than the thermostat I mounted on the back for access, and out of the weather. It's setting outside, but in a corner of the covered carport, and takes up little space. Pretty much set it, and forget it, although I do check it a couple times a day. I hung a digital thermometer inside that shows temp., and humidity. I use regular seed starting media of various brands, usually catch it on sale at the end of the season, for the following year. But mix it up wet, plant seeds, and no watering is required once in the chamber. The slow cooker provides enough moisture to keep it damp. I'm like a kid with a new toy, and can't wait to get started..!! I plan to start some bunching onion seed here in about a month.

This picture shows a tub of water in the bottom, before I upgraded to the slow cooker. I'll definitely get some pictures this year, as it is set up now. Just throwing it out there, for anyone thinking of building one, that starts their own seedlings.

Product Audio equipment Gas Rectangle Major appliance

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Getting my ducks in a row here for this year. Collected enough leaves from neighbors to hopefully mulch around tomato, and pepper plants. I do have some seed from last year I plan to start, but waiting on a 2022 seed catalog from Berlin Seeds, Berlin, Ohio, a fairly new Amish seed company I purchased from last year, in person. They were out of a particular tomato seed I want to try this year, when I was there back in Oct. Prices are pretty decent, and I consider them semi-local.
For those who did not check out the "using grow lights" thread, I thought I'd repost here about my home made germination chamber. I have less than $50 invested in it, and should last for years. It's basically a non-working fridge, mine is a large 'fridge from a camper, which was free for the taking. I stripped out the components, leaving just the shell. A small grow light from Home Depot, a digital heat pad thermostat off Amazon, and a small 2 qt. slow cooker. I set the thermostat for 95º, to control the slow cooker filled with water. It keeps the temp right at 95º, and humidity at a perfect 95% for germination. It will germinate onion, and cabbage seed in 36 hrs. Various squash in 2-3 days. Tomatoes took 4 days, peppers in 5-6 days.

Best of all, it's a self contained unit, other than the thermostat I mounted on the back for access, and out of the weather. It's setting outside, but in a corner of the covered carport, and takes up little space. Pretty much set it, and forget it, although I do check it a couple times a day. I hung a digital thermometer inside that shows temp., and humidity. I use regular seed starting media of various brands, usually catch it on sale at the end of the season, for the following year. But mix it up wet, plant seeds, and no watering is required once in the chamber. The slow cooker provides enough moisture to keep it damp. I'm like a kid with a new toy, and can't wait to get started..!! I plan to start some bunching onion seed here in about a month.

This picture shows a tub of water in the bottom, before I upgraded to the slow cooker. I'll definitely get some pictures this year, as it is set up now. Just throwing it out there, for anyone thinking of building one, that starts their own seedlings.

View attachment 2535699
Thats the same frig as I have in my avion coach . I keep mine full of silly pops . I will hang onto it for a germination cabinet when it goes bad . The crock pot what do you and where are you keeping it ?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
This goes back to the days of prohibition . Those were cool and anything built like it now would be cool also . That is a collectors item .

·
Premium Member
13,031 Posts
Way too cold to do anything but dream about gardening up here at the moment!

Mike

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Thats the same frig as I have in my avion coach . I keep mine full of silly pops . I will hang onto it for a germination cabinet when it goes bad . The crock pot what do you and where are you keeping it ?
I set it in the bottom, where you see that tub of water, so the heat and moisture will naturally rise. I got this one off Amazon, w/free shipping for like $10. I know I have seen similar one's at thrift stores for a couple bucks.

Someday, I may look for a non-working smaller freezer, simply to start more trays. Going to try to start my own Marigold's from seed I picked from what I grew last year. I've read in the past where those and Nasturtiums will deter Deer away from the garden. I started 40 of each from purchased seed last year in trays, and planted across the one end at the road the. It did seem to steer them away, but they just came in from a different direction, LOL... I'll set some along the one side they are now coming in from.

And, may try selling a few for the heck of it. No more than I'd have in them, could cut big box store prices by 1/2, and still make some pocket change.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts