My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

141 - 160 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yours may have spider mite damage , maby use a insecticide soap never on a sunny day , pinch off damaging leaves and wash your hands , separate plants and maby re pot them if there root bound , tomatos are a hot weather crop so they must be protected from frost . You may just remove damaged leaves to help with spider mites look under leaf looks to me as if .

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
I disked my plowed last week garden today. The clay had almost dried to brick but got it knocked down but a long way from being plant able. Will wait for the rain this week end and hit it again after it dries out.
Then took it out and aeriated the pasture that needs to be mowed to get rid of the volunteer trees before the cows return.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yall ever grow cow peas ,they put out a 4 foot wide row of vines and really feed you well .

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Yall ever grow cow peas ,they put out a 4 foot wide row of vines and really feed you well .
Other than pea pods. Fried, steamed or just plain raw I don't eat peas. Pods are ok just can't stand the taste of a pea.
Last time I had peas was 61 years ago. If mom only knew the amount of mustard and catschup I had on them to disguise the taste she would have had a fit. But I had been warned they better not end up in the garbage.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Other than pea pods. Fried, steamed or just plain raw I don't eat peas. Pods are ok just can't stand the taste of a pea.
Last time I had peas was 61 years ago. If mom only knew the amount of mustard and catschup I had on them to disguise the taste she would have had a fit. But I had been warned they better not end up in the garbage.
I haven't done any sweet peas , Im talking about black eye pea , purple hull peas , chowder , I think there all considered cow peas . I guess there peas , I bet half the human race wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a cow pea .

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
I haven't done any sweet peas , Im talking about black eye pea , purple hull peas , chowder , I think there all considered cow peas . I guess there peas , I bet half the human race wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a cow pea .
I am a bean man. Could eat beans three times a day. Now how many kinds of beans are there?

·
Premium Member
11,291 Posts
I've never heard of those. How have they fed the world?

I (and my kids) love peas. As a kid, my sister would torture my parents by eating one pea at a time (with at least two minutes between each peas going into her mouth). Even that wasn't as bad as when we had to eat liver. One time, Dad said to her, "I'd bet you'd eat that if I put Hershey's syrup on it!" And, she did...

I am a bean man. Could eat beans three times a day. Now how many kinds of beans are there?
I have no clue. We like green beans. I used to be able to get a good crop of them here. Haven't run the garden in a few years.

Mike

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Last year was the first time growing Purple Hull Peas. They got off to a bad start with all of the late Spring rains here. Once the monsoons passed, they took off, and grew great, and were really loaded. I normally leave all shell type beans on the vine, to dry down on their own, then pull the vines when I pick them.

I have a serious Deer problem here, and resorted to putting up an electric fence to keep them out. As luck would have it, the fence charger went ka-put about a week before I intended to pick them, and the Deer sensed that. Little did I know, Deer love them too. I guessed there were at least 5-6, 5 gallon bucket's on the 1, 90' row. With the other shell beans I grow, that equates to 4-5 lbs. per bucket. After the Deer had their fill, I only ended up with this shopping basket, and part of another.

I'll shell these out, and replant this year. Been playing around with saving seed, and replanting, to see how well it does. Doing the same with some Mammoth Melting Snow Peas. The Peas are up, and doing well. More or less experimenting in case seed growers have a crop failure, and no seed for certain things are available. Had this happen with the Mammoth Melting last year, but had enough seed to plant half a 90' row. They also did very well, and got nearly the amount I wanted to put up. They mature fast, so the one's that may have gotten big enough to form a string I let go for seed.

Being the tightwad I am, I've also experimented with planting shell/dry beans, purchased at the grocery store. Works like a champ..!! So far, I've grown Great Northern, Navy, Pinto and Black Beans. Less than a half pound of seed will plant a 90' row, and have gotten various returns of 12-18 lbs. back. Depending on what kind you like, several years ago, you could get Navy Beans at a Dollar store, for 99 cents. Most generally, less than $2.00 for a pound bag anywhere. A good return on a small investment..!!

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
If you like beans as much as I do, I highly suggest the Tiger's Eye Bean. The color caught my attention first, then reviews from people who grew them enticed me to try them. They cook up similar to a Navy Bean, with a very soft skin, maybe a little quicker. They cook up to a tan/light brown color, and are very tender. They'll mature to about somewhere between the size of a Navy, and Great Northern Bean, and are very prolific..!! I saved seed from what I've picked to dry/shell, and grew well also, making the same bean. So if you get a successful crop, save some for seed, to be self sustaining.

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
For as hard as seed is finding you may have to just save some of this year's crop and send me some. Even though I have added a few feet to the garden the space has been spoken for this year.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've never heard of those. How have they fed the world?

I (and my kids) love peas. As a kid, my sister would torture my parents by eating one pea at a time (with at least two minutes between each peas going into her mouth). Even that wasn't as bad as when we had to eat liver. One time, Dad said to her, "I'd bet you'd eat that if I put Hershey's syrup on it!" And, she did...

I have no clue. We like green beans. I used to be able to get a good crop of them here. Haven't run the garden in a few years.

Mike
My mother had a jar passed down thru the family sat out in the garage for years I planted them and they all grew they produce like crazy and the seed stores well there like black eye peas and I think they they may have once fed them to cows , there a sure thing that would feed a family with little care .

·
never too old to learn
413 Posts
Fertilized and tilled the garden today, finally. Next comes the layout and sinking the soaker hoses. We already have some plants from HD (their Bonnie line has proved successful for the last two seasons); these will go in when frost danger passes. Cukes, squash, wax beans, and pumpkins will be sown directly from seed.

Rough but ready!

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Fertilized and tilled the garden today, finally. Next comes the layout and sinking the soaker hoses. We already have some plants from HD (their Bonnie line has proved successful for the last two seasons); these will go in when frost danger passes. Cukes, squash, wax beans, and pumpkins will be sown directly from seed.

View attachment 2502570

Rough but ready!
That is not rough.

·
Premium Member
11,291 Posts
+1 on the Bonnie plants, at least the tomatoes. I think Lowe's carries them as well.

I've tried their pepper plants. They grow OK, but rarely produce for me. I'm sure it's at least 75% my fault (although I have no idea what I'm doing wrong).

Mike

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
+1 on the Bonnie plants, at least the tomatoes. I think Lowe's carries them as well.

I've tried their pepper plants. They grow OK, but rarely produce for me. I'm sure it's at least 75% my fault (although I have no idea what I'm doing wrong).

Mike
Do you have a short season , I think they like calcium after fruit set , if you like hot 🔥 ones they sell ornamental peppers like black perl which is one of the prettiest plants I have ever seen and some little ones like small chyanne there good potted plants and to have a little heat around .

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I used to think of my self as the butter bean king round them up on sheets . Clover is a legume in the bean family I need to get some risers to cut my clover boot height .
20210509_120323.jpg

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Last year was the first time growing Purple Hull Peas. They got off to a bad start with all of the late Spring rains here. Once the monsoons passed, they took off, and grew great, and were really loaded. I normally leave all shell type beans on the vine, to dry down on their own, then pull the vines when I pick them.

I have a serious Deer problem here, and resorted to putting up an electric fence to keep them out. As luck would have it, the fence charger went ka-put about a week before I intended to pick them, and the Deer sensed that. Little did I know, Deer love them too. I guessed there were at least 5-6, 5 gallon bucket's on the 1, 90' row. With the other shell beans I grow, that equates to 4-5 lbs. per bucket. After the Deer had their fill, I only ended up with this shopping basket, and part of another.

I'll shell these out, and replant this year. Been playing around with saving seed, and replanting, to see how well it does. Doing the same with some Mammoth Melting Snow Peas. The Peas are up, and doing well. More or less experimenting in case seed growers have a crop failure, and no seed for certain things are available. Had this happen with the Mammoth Melting last year, but had enough seed to plant half a 90' row. They also did very well, and got nearly the amount I wanted to put up. They mature fast, so the one's that may have gotten big enough to form a string I let go for seed.

Being the tightwad I am, I've also experimented with planting shell/dry beans, purchased at the grocery store. Works like a champ..!! So far, I've grown Great Northern, Navy, Pinto and Black Beans. Less than a half pound of seed will plant a 90' row, and have gotten various returns of 12-18 lbs. back. Depending on what kind you like, several years ago, you could get Navy Beans at a Dollar store, for 99 cents. Most generally, less than $2.00 for a pound bag anywhere. A good return on a small investment..!!

View attachment 2502514
They were calling these Mississippi black bean may be a wilt resist bean , I bet I can grow a row in the yard with out tilling I should try to prove it .

141 - 160 of 273 Posts