My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

121 - 140 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Man , you are big time watch out Jolley green giant , are you able to find help putting stuff up .
Just trying to make life easier. No problem putting stuff up, just watch the weather and try to plan ahead. Good rainy day jobs. Potatoes will likely be donated to local food banks.
I'd love to expand my garden. Right now it's 30x30, which is big enough to be a lot of work, but too small to really be able to utilize a tractor.

Mike
If you use a tiller to work ground, and cultivate, I highly suggest an old David Bradley like in this picture. They can be bought fairly cheap. Easy to repower if it's just a rolling chassis with a 3 hp engine. I've been buying sidewalk edger's that look to be in decent shape, with low hours to repower. Or, a small Predator engine from HF. Way faster to cultivate with than a tiller. I have bought them for as little as $35, with cultivators, but non runner, just needs some tinkering. And, runners for $100. Great little tractors that have high clearance. Sure saves lots of hoeing..!!

·
Premium Member
11,266 Posts
My TB Horse is a PTO model (tiller section comes off). Mainly, that's to attach some other powered attachment (chipper, generator, logsplitter). I wonder if anyone's stuck a cultivator like yours behind one?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
36,524 Posts
Well my son got some plants today and seeds...and so it begins! We will be ordering mulch and topsoil next week so things should be getting interesting!

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Looks like we may get some much needed rain here today. According to the radar yesterday, that bad storm cell coming up out of Missouri was tracking right for us. It split about 80 miles to the West, and some went North, some went South. Barely got enough to make the sidewalk wet.

I checked my Peas last evening, when heading out to feed the horse's I'd planted last weekend, from seed saved from last years Mammoth Melting's, and they are starting to sprout. A nice shower ought to bring them on up in a few days.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Just trying to make life easier. No problem putting stuff up, just watch the weather and try to plan ahead. Good rainy day jobs. Potatoes will likely be donated to local food banks.

If you use a tiller to work ground, and cultivate, I highly suggest an old David Bradley like in this picture. They can be bought fairly cheap. Easy to repower if it's just a rolling chassis with a 3 hp engine. I've been buying sidewalk edger's that look to be in decent shape, with low hours to repower. Or, a small Predator engine from HF. Way faster to cultivate with than a tiller. I have bought them for as little as $35, with cultivators, but non runner, just needs some tinkering. And, runners for $100. Great little tractors that have high clearance. Sure saves lots of hoeing..!! View attachment 2501174
I have a implement that will fit that , I went ahead and bought a G110 from earth tools .

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Looks like we may get some much needed rain here today. According to the radar yesterday, that bad storm cell coming up out of Missouri was tracking right for us. It split about 80 miles to the West, and some went North, some went South. Barely got enough to make the sidewalk wet.

I checked my Peas last evening, when heading out to feed the horse's I'd planted last weekend, from seed saved from last years Mammoth Melting's, and they are starting to sprout. A nice shower ought to bring them on up in a few days.
If I had the ability I would have gladly sent you the whole works. I still had water puddles from last weeks rain.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Not sure when the garden will get out. It gets just about dry enough to plow and then it rains again. It rained last night with more coming Sunday and into the extended forecast. After Sunday we may not see the sun again till next Wednesday if lucky. I kind if envy those needing rain as this will be the third year of this if it continues.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Not sure when the garden will get out. It gets just about dry enough to plow and then it rains again. It rained last night with more coming Sunday and into the extended forecast. After Sunday we may not see the sun again till next Wednesday if lucky. I kind if envy those needing rain as this will be the third year of this if it continues.
I heat ya'. Seems it all depends on where storms track. We got a dry spell here early in April, so turned it over. About a week later after some rain, then drying, disked it up.

Ended up with 1.5" in the gauge last evening. A near perfect rain for 12-14 hours, with a brief downpour for 10 minutes from a front in the middle of that patch of rain. I'd put two runs of tiles in the lower part of the garden where water would collect a year ago last Fall. Between being so dry, and the tile, this is how much water was laying aprox. an hour after the rain stopped. So the tile is working well..!!

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Need to get the rain gauge up. I put the last one out to early. It rained froze and broke. New one has been sitting in the house for over a year now. My water puddle is not draining so we'll. Move some dirt from around it Monday and must not have gotten the trench cleaned out.
Looking like we will have two more days of dry weather. Not long enough to get any plowing done. If not this week it will be two more weeks before I can do anything. Between back and rain. Time is really in a bind.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
I heat ya'. Seems it all depends on where storms track. We got a dry spell here early in April, so turned it over. About a week later after some rain, then drying, disked it up.

Ended up with 1.5" in the gauge last evening. A near perfect rain for 12-14 hours, with a brief downpour for 10 minutes from a front in the middle of that patch of rain. I'd put two runs of tiles in the lower part of the garden where water would collect a year ago last Fall. Between being so dry, and the tile, this is how much water was laying aprox. an hour after the rain stopped. So the tile is working well..!!
View attachment 2501379
Good to see you got some rain.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Gardens plowed not pretty but plowed. Wet clay with a foot of growth was lots of fun. This patch is approximately 50 x 25 feet and took two hours.
I am going to try working on this plow one more time before it gets dismantled completely and reconstructed. Way to many things wrong with the setup the way it is. If anyone has any good ideas here are the pictures. I know it needs to be moved to the right but this is as far as it goes with this confirmation. Other thing that it will get is a land wheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
Peas are P'n..!! It got dry enough Sunday afternoon to get out and cultivate the row. Love my old David Bradley 2-wheelers for working in the garden. Dad modified this horse drawn strawberry cultivator, to a DB cultivator frame 30+ years ago. Still use it when plants first emerge. Stirs the soil just enough to turn those thread sized weeds up to dry and kill them. So much easier to control weeds at this stage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So we are looking to plant the main garden next week, might actually stay above freezing at night by then. We are getting into double-digit highs during the day but still cold nights. Late last month we hit 21C daytime and then the next night was -12.

Anyway, I am not a tomato guy but we started some in the kids 4H group. We bring them home as they are supposed to be transplanted into some different and deeper substrate. Had them out during the day in the sun, well protected from the wind. Now they are wilting. Someone said they might be in shock due to the change from the greenhouse to our house. They say they should come around.

·
Premium Member
11,266 Posts
I don't think I've ever killed a young tomato plant, aside from trying to plant them from seed, indoors, without enough light. I'm definitely no green thumb, but they seem pretty resilient.

Mike

Reactions: kershner and Brianf

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Tomato plants get blight ,caused from cloudy days and cool temps and moisture , sometimes its carries out of the greenhouses where they could live in crowded conditions , they need space and a water cycle that conencides with the sun meaning watch the weather and water them good before a sunny spell and hope it holds through the cloudy days avoid water on cloudy days or excessive thats what we do in greenhouses , and sometimes there so abused in greenhouses they struggle to overcome it , because they try to hold them back to sell the perfect size plant even putting growth stunting spray on them , good ventilation helps and fungicide and plant food .

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
You know how to get the green off your hands after picking tomatoes , wash them with a red ripe tomatoe field trick .

121 - 140 of 270 Posts