My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

61 - 80 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I have a couple buddies who built germination chambers out of non-working fridge's/freezer. Put a small 1-1/2-2 qt crockpot filled with water in the bottom for heat and moisture, controlled by a heat mat thermostat, and a LED growlight panel.

I didn't want a full sized fridge, so put out a want ad on local FB pages for a free mini fridge, out of a camper. Got a response within 10 hours for the perfect one, just taken out of a motor home. Ownser said they took it to a dealer, and apparently the gas leaked out, so instead of repairing, just bought a new one.

I cut all the refridgeration system off of it to lighten it up. Bored a 1-1/2" hole through the back to run power cords through, then packed the hole with duct seal. Placed the crockpot filled with water in, and connected to the thermostat, and turned it on. After 2 hours, it was seting on the perfect 75º. I then put the grow light panel in, and within 1 hour, temp inside had reached 116º. I plugged the grow light into the thermostat, and within a minute, the light had put out enough heat, the thermostat shut it off, set @ 75º. Didn't realize an LED light put off that much heat. Feels barely warm to the touch, but in an enclosed, insulated compartment it does.

Went to plan B. Found a 12" 13.5 watt grow light at a local big box store. Plugged it in and left it for 2 hrs. It reached a near perfect 77º. I used one of the produce drawers from the fridge to put water in for moisture, hoping it would evaporate providing moisture. Within 2 hrs. it got to 80º, and using a digital thermometer that also shows humidity, it was at 76%. By 9:00 pm last night temp had gotten to 82.2. By 11:00 pm, it had went back to 80º. I'll check this later morning for humidity level.

Doing a quick search yesterday morning found most seeds prefer 65º-85º, and humidity levels from 50%, up to 95%, so I'm in the ball park.

I put small trays of various seeds in it yesterday afternoon to see some results. My one buddy is germing onions in 48 hrs., lettuce in 36 hrs in his. I put bunching onions for green onions, several different pepper seeds, and a couple different types of cabbage, and some Yucca plant seeds I harvested last Fall from the plant in the yard, to see how long it takes to come up, hopefully speeding the germination process especially the pepper seeds. Once up, I'll transfer to my little greenhouse.

Need to find my Rhubarb and Asparagus seed and try that too today. I'll put the date and time on the little marker sticks when I set them in, to determin in hours, instead of days of plant growth.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Pretty impressed for something I threw together. I put more seed in on Thursday afternoon, at 1:00 pm. 2 Cabbage are up this morning, in approx.64 hrs. A few Onions were up yesterday, still in the curly stage planted the day before. I like it..!!

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
I can't plant anything till it quits raining. Would really like to get the cool weather crops in.
This is one reason I want the green house back up.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I am resisting the urge to mow i am hopeing the flowers that go to the head my head will fade and the grass will pull some of the moisture out of the ground the reason for putting this in the garden thread , is I need to find a less laborious way to take care of my farm I will take a summer off from tillage to focus on wild flower meadows I may get with the agg department and continue my conservation efforts on my 70 aches .

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Pretty impressed for something I threw together. I put more seed in on Thursday afternoon, at 1:00 pm. 2 Cabbage are up this morning, in approx.64 hrs. A few Onions were up yesterday, still in the curly stage planted the day before. I like it..!!

View attachment 2496001
Sour kraut is easy to make , and is a good way to put up alot of cabbage . You can make one head in a jar if you don't want alot .

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
I am resisting the urge to mow i am hopeing the flowers that go to the head my head will fade and the grass will pull some of the moisture out of the ground the reason for putting this in the garden thread , is I need to find a less laborious way to take care of my farm I will take a summer off from tillage to focus on wild flower meadows I may get with the agg department and continue my conservation efforts on my 70 aches .
I to plan on getting rid of the pasture grass planted here. Our original native grass grew to about 8". I can live with that and want also to start planting some native flowers. Will also be planting flowers around the garden this year to create a border and hopefully attract some bee and repel some insects. Garden season is almost here.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Western Kentucky used to be grass lands because the Indians used to keep it burned off , that why we have places called lone oak pilot oak .

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Bison, deer, turkey and black bear were native to the area. With a mixture of grass and woods. We still have the deer, turkey and little native woods. A few small herds of bison if one knows where to look. The black bear are starting to come back south of us. We also have a few big cats that are seldom seen. If man disappeared it would not take long for nature to take over.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have a grass water way set up in one valley man made , in one spot is a natural waterway , my neighbor has bees and I want to net work with him and the ag department come up with a plan I need to figure the birth cycle of the rabbits and deer to give them a break , have some foxes to ck the rabbits , red hawks to ck the squrils
Neighbors hunt the deere .

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
I have a grass water way set up in one valley man made , in one spot is a natural waterway , my neighbor has bees and I want to net work with him and the ag department come up with a plan I need to figure the birth cycle of the rabbits and deer to give them a break , have some foxes to ck the rabbits , red hawks to ck the squrils
Neighbors hunt the deere .
As attractive as they are I just can not get my self to promote the preproduction of garden destroying rodents. I do have an on going brush pile for whom ever decides to live there.
As to the waterway any native growth should work. The bees will like any flowering plants. Keep from attracting what you don't want may become the biggest problem. I have some muskrat that could leave town. Interesting to watch but destructive little critters. I have some more under mined areas to fit this spring, Fixed some last fall. An on going thing.
One of the neighbors take care of the beaver population per watershed management request.
But getting the recommendation for your local ag or wild life conservation department would really be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
As attractive as they are I just can not get my self to promote the preproduction of garden destroying rodents. I do have an on going brush pile for whom ever decides to live there.
As to the waterway any native growth should work. The bees will like any flowering plants. Keep from attracting what you don't want may become the biggest problem. I have some muskrat that could leave town. Interesting to watch but destructive little critters. I have some more under mined areas to fit this spring, Fixed some last fall. An on going thing.
One of the neighbors take care of the beaver population per watershed management request.
But getting the recommendation for your local ag or wild life conservation department would really be the way to go.
I worked with some guys down south and they get a alligator to put in there pond for the beavers .far as deere ya you have to keep them in check if it wasn't for covid the agg department has a lot of classes that would be fun just to get out and beat the bushes I'm going to sign up for a clean up day to clean up the roads a little I'm mainly in it for a good time and if any good comes of it so be it .

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Turned the garden over here yesterday with my new to me McCormick-Deering 101, 1 bottom Fast Hitch roll over plow I found back in Jan. Mounted it on my Farmall 140 I got a couple years ago. I plow my garden uphill, because there is some slope to it, and Mother Nature has a tendency to wash dirt downhill. The roll over plow allows me to plow uphill in both directions, saving deadheading back to the other end. Plus, no dead furrows to contend with.

All of those leaves I've been putting around set plants for mulch, and other direct seeded plants if I have enough, then breaking down into compost on the surface have really made a big difference in building the soil, plowing them down. I saw hundreds of huge night crawlers and red worms when I turned it over. Good healthy soil, and lots of worm castings for a natural fertilizer.

I won't be planting anything for 2-3 weeks, but at least got it rolled over. Hopefully I'll get it disked down tomorrow before the rain comes in Wed. night, or Thur. Any weeds that may germinate between now, and planting time, I'll just run the disk over it and kill them. Just that many I won't have to contend with, when it comes time to cultivate.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Also a pic of where I sowed oats as a cover crop last Sept. after digging potatoes, to eliminate some weed seed, and build organic matter. With the late warm Fall, it grew to a lot of it getting to the boot stage. Wasn't expecting it to get that mature. Normally, it winter kills sometime in Oct., or Nov., but was well into Dec. before the cold finally got it. I ran my "Clipper" mower (forerunner of the DR Brand mowers) over it to chop it up some, then ran the Wheel Horse, with the deck set low for a final chop to reduce the size of the residue, and plow under nice. Way less root mass than when dad sowed Rye on it years ago. I remember well dealing with those clumps of roots when cultivating, until they finally broke up. This year, I'd like to try mixing in some Buckwheat for extra OM, that supposedly breaks down quick, if I can get it sown early enough, before cold weather kills it.

You can see the difference between it, and where I plowed in the above pics. Chickweed, and grasses were starting to green up pretty quick. I only saw 2-3 tufts of grass coming up in one small spot where the oats were.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I remember when you got that rollover , I have been useing walk behind stuff , I took a chance on it thinking it would be easier to keep under roof and I got tired of hooking full size equipment by my self its got pros and cons .

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I hear guys at work talking about 1/2 acker gardens i wonder how they stay married . Wait maby that is how they stay married

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I must say I had a great year last year for tomatoes , peppers , my peppers I dehydrated because if you leave them out they get house dust on them so I dryed them and put them in jars all stages of ripe the last bunch because I pulled the plant and hung them on the front porch till I could get to them then I grind them up and use the power not bad if you like a little heat .

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
No yard or garden work has been done yet. I was planning on getting some plowing done before the rain. Just to may other things to do.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
I hear guys at work talking about 1/2 acker gardens i wonder how they stay married . Wait maby that is how they stay married
Yeah, I don't have that problem. Confirmed bachelor here... Came really close to tying the knot one time, but her saying, "What you need to do..." pretty much fixed that, 'cause she didn't have a clue as to "what I need to do... LOL....

61 - 80 of 270 Posts