My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

41 - 60 of 288 Posts

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,459 Posts
Can't believe you guys talking about gardens. Gonna be awhile before we can see the ground here so we just have to dream about it. 😁
My back yard.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Started some bunching onion, and a few Leek seeds yesterday in various trays, and my old standby coffee filter/sandwich bag germination chamber. Target date to set out is Apr. 28 through May 3rd according to the gardening moon calendar. Hopefully, the garden will have been plowed, and disked down, and some dry weather on order to get them set out. Some seeds are from onions I got from a buddy last year I set out, to grow seed. and harvested last Fall,and some are Burpee brand I picked up at the store. Another little experiment, to see if one does better than the other.

I plan to get some pepper seeds germinating the week of Mar. 14th, through the 27th. Thought about germing 6 or so pepper seeds starting today, and see how they compare. Always fun to experiment.

·
Administrator
21,615 Posts
@DJ54 how do you start your pepper seeds? I have a tough time getting them to sprout. I know it's probably my own fault cuz even tho they are in the sun on the breezeway, it's rather cool out there. Do you put the seeds between sheets of damp paper towels?

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
Brad, you could try using cone coffee filters and inserting the seeds. Then moisten the cone filter and place inside a ziplock baggie. Blow into the bag as you are zipping it shut and set aside inside the warm house somewhere, sun not needed for sprouting. Check every couple of days, you want the sprout tail about a quarter inch long before you place into your seeding medium.

The baggy acts as it's own green house and by blowing your breathe into the baggy, gives that little bit of CO2 that plants eat.

Reactions: Brad

·
Super Moderator
10,228 Posts
Anybody growing garlic?....I planted some in late September...it is supposed to take 9 months...it was sprouting some green shoots before the frost...still sticking out of the ground after the snow melted.....I had also planted some leafy stuff late, that I was able to harvest before it got too cold......now I can't find the rest of those seeds that were left over...and I know if I order new ones...those old ones will show up as soon as I get off the computer from ordering

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
I ran the disk over it last fall and may try plowing this weekend. Will fertilize before final prep for planting on mid April.

·
Super Moderator
36,711 Posts
Son and I are in the process of determining just how much of a garden expansion he wants/can afford to do. This will be an interesting enterprise for him, since he's funding it!!

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
@DJ54 how do you start your pepper seeds? I have a tough time getting them to sprout. I know it's probably my own fault cuz even tho they are in the sun on the breezeway, it's rather cool out there. Do you put the seeds between sheets of damp paper towels?
Like Flaken said, except I use wrap around percolator filters, because I use a percolator to make my coffee. See #1 pic with the Leeks in a zip lock bag. I unfold them, then refold to half. Wet them, then drop the seeds on. I buy them in bulk, so they're not too expensive. Disc type would probably be the least expensive. Wet one disc, place 10 or so seeds on it, wet the second one, and lay on top. They should sort of stick together. May want to offset the top one, so as when you want to peel them apart, it will make it easier. Slip in a ziplock, and zip it shut, leaving 1" open on the end so it can breathe. I just set a card table up in the living room, with lots of sun exposure. Most seeds will sprout within 3-5 days, peppers normally take 5-7 days. They're easy to check, just pick them up, and hold up to the light. You can see the seeds, and sprouts when they emerge. Just don't let them get too big, those tender shoots break pretty easy.

I tried using paper towels several years back, and some of the seedling roots grew through the paper towel,and I broke them off getting them out, even though I was careful, tearing the paper towel. After that, I went with the coffee filters. Fine enough fibers meshed together, roots won't grow through them.

I've started a lot of plants from seed this way, even Asparagus, and Yucca Plant flowers. Depending on what it is, I take tweezers and set them in the 6 to 50 cell trays, or 20 oz.drink cups for plants like Rhubarb, after poking a hole in the wet media with a pencil, and drop them in, then cover with maybe 1/4" of wet growing media. I have a heated shop, so put them in there, and keep the temp. around 65º-70º, and just put an LED shop light about 6"-8" above them. When the temperature warms up, I put them, in a small greenhouse I built outside the shop. I made it from aluminum sliding windows Dad took out of the house 30 years ago. I came across them in the barn, when looking for something else. About 7-10 days before I set them out, I leave the windows open 24-7 for the plants to harden off. So far, I've had a 99% success rate, for any sprouted seeds I've grown.

·
Administrator
21,615 Posts
@DJ54 , thank-you for that very good response! Some good info shared with me and the forum. I will try the coffee filters.

Did you read my post previously on making home-made seed tapes? Fun project and it sure makes it easier to put the seeds in the ground than trying 1 seed at a time while kneeling in the garden. I made up about 20 tapes yesterday in a little less than an hour. Made Radishes, lettuce, Dill, and going to do some bunching onions today. Later in the day going to meet with some neighbors that sponsor a "community garden" and we are going to start a bunch of seeds in trays. We'll put the garden in sometime in May and then anyone that needs fresh produce is welcome to stop by and pick.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
@DJ54 , thank-you for that very good response! Some good info shared with me and the forum. I will try the coffee filters.

Did you read my post previously on making home-made seed tapes? Fun project and it sure makes it easier to put the seeds in the ground than trying 1 seed at a time while kneeling in the garden. I made up about 20 tapes yesterday in a little less than an hour. Made Radishes, lettuce, Dill, and going to do some bunching onions today. Later in the day going to meet with some neighbors that sponsor a "community garden" and we are going to start a bunch of seeds in trays. We'll put the garden in sometime in May and then anyone that needs fresh produce is welcome to stop by and pick.
I made seed tapes 5-6 years ago, and worked pretty good. There's still that week or so of germ/sprout time after planting, and trying to decide what is a weed, and what is, what you planted. Carrots sem to take the longest of what I direct seed. Whether dropped or in a seed tape, I've taken out quite a few. Last year, I germinated carrot seeds in the filter.plastic bag, then placed in drink cups, to give the root a chance to grow a bit, in case we get a rainy spell,and stay straight. I read if they are planted in something short, and the tap rootcurves at the bottom, you'l get mis-shapen carrots. Not that it would really matter here, for self consumption, but tried the cups. As luck would have it, the weather was good to get them set, and right before a rain. I made a trench with my Warren Hoe, set plant w/media in the row 4" apart, so I could hoe between plants with my 3" oscillating hoe. It worked great, other than the fact they could have been set a little deeper, but came across a small 6"-8" single shovel I'll use to make a trench this year, attached to my little Choremaster 1-wheel garden tractor. It just saved that tedious direct seeding/weeding for 10-14 days, and I could actually see the plant. I only did 25, just to see how it worked. I'll probably do like 50 this year, just takes up a lot of greenhouse space.

Here's some pics of the seedlings in the cups, set in row, and tools used to set them. The trusty ole' Radio Flyer I got Mom back in the early '70's for a Mother's Day present, to haul produce in from the garden is still serving well..!!

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Oddly enough our best crop of carrots we put out was by one of the grandkids at age 5. Broadcasting was the method. I thought yes right like that is going to work. The carrots did just fine and weeding was minimal.

·
Administrator
21,615 Posts
Best tasting carrots we've had were planted late summer and pulled for Thanksgiving Dinner. So very sweet and tasty!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Probably much of the same. Just rotate in different spots in the garden as usual. I got 10-15 onion plants from a buddy who bought some cheap onion seeds from a big box store, and weren't what they said they were on the packet. They were supposed to be th large Ailsa Craig onions, and ended up being some type of bunching onion/green onion variety. They were in the second year last year, and were forming seed heads. So got some to grow my own seed. They did pretty well, and got quite a few seeds from the heads last Fall. Put them in a paper bag, and have been in the heated shop I'll be starting them next month, just scattering them in a tray of seed starting media, to grow transplants. Way more plants in a tray like that, than in separate cell trays. I have better luck here growing onions in hilled rows. Keeps them up out of the water during the Spring rains. And, will do the grass/leaf mulching again. Saves a lot of work keeping the weeds out of closely set plants. In this sandy loam clay, it sheds the heavy water, yet holds enough moisture for growth.

I saved some bean, and pea seed to replant this year. Just need to get some innoculant to coat them before planting. I'm planning on doing more donating this year to a local kitchen that provides meals for homeless/less fortunate near here. Last year I was told they weren't accepting much prodice, because they were basically doing sack type lunches, due to the Covid thing. Found out way late in the season, that that only lasted maybe a week, then went back to providing regular meals. Besides geting the warm fuzzy feeling of providing food for these folks, they give you a tax credit for deductions off your income tax, so might as well take advantage of it.

Will definitely make tomato juice next year, like I did last. I always cook cut tomatoes before running through the Squeezo, to make it a lot easier going through it. Last year, I strained off the watery juice, to make it thicker. What a huge difference that makes..!! I put a lot up in pint jars, and drink it right out of the jar at meal time. I just keep 3-4 in the fridge to get cold. And, whenever in the notion for it, it's ready. Definitely need to be looking for canning lids early. I know they are pretty much a seasonal item, and glad I got some early last year, as usual. With the food shortage fear last year, items like that were scarce when canning time came. I'm thinking a lot of people may not think it's worth the bother this year, and these items will be more available. I'll have them on hand, just in case.I still see ads on FB MarketPlace, Craigslist,and just on the internet where people hoarded up supplies, and are still asking prices 3X-4X times what they paid for them. I hope they have to eat them...

Thinking also of planting a small block of Indian Corn to sell this Fall. The neighbors across the road plant approx. 3 acres of Pumpkins to sell for decorations, and have quite a little enterprise going. My first thought was to grow the little decorative gourds, to accent their large pumpkins, yet not step on their toes selling the big one's. Saw on a FaceBookad, where they were seiing them too. Sooo,decided on the Indian Corn. Another neighbor planted a small block of field corn to cut, and bundle for decorations, and seemed to do pretty well at that too. We're in an area close to the city of Columbus, where upscale housing develpoments are popping up everywhere, and they all seem to like to decorate for the upcoming holidays. We're all on high traffic roads when folks go home from work. So setting up a small stand to get fresh veggies on the way home should work well. Keep prices below grocery prices, yet enough to cover cost of the rest of the garden that I harvest for myself, and preserve.

I need to get my potato planter in the Shop this Spring, and build a hitch suitable to pull with a tractor. The PO I bought it off of, has like an 6' 4 X 4 on it. Way higher than the drawbars on my tractors with IH Fast Hitch. Probably use some lighter gauge 3-1/2" square tubing, and make some 45º angle cuts w/fishplates to drop the hitch level. My 240 Utility has a slow first gear, so should be perfect for pulling it. Just need to get a buddy of mine to drive, while I keep potatoes in the turntable to feed it. Not that hard to hand drop them, but our local antique tractor clubs also plants about 3/4 acre of potatoes to donate to a local food bank. Thay also grow pumpkins, and Indian Corn to sell to make money for the club. It's all grown on a Historical Farm owned by the County Parks Dept. In the Fall they put on a big harvest weekend, showing folks how such things are harvested. They even let people pick up potatoes for home use. There are so many, there's plenty left for the food bank. The club owns a couple pull type mechanical diggers. Always have a spare on hand, in case of a breakdown. They also plant several acres of corn, and have a corn binders to make it into bundles, which they sell for decorations. Whats left is saved in a barn, and ran through a corn shredder the following summer at the clubs show. Shredded stalks are used for bedding for one of the guy's in the club. Ear corn is ran through a sheller also displayed. Should be a fun summer..!!

I see lots of friends on social media complaining they are depressed, because of the dreary winter weather. Here, I'm keeping busy getting ready for Spring. Lots of projects to do in the shop before that time comes. I've spent a couple of weeks cleaning up the shop, from past projects completed, and items I've picked up to scrap out. Old electric motors people set out for the refuse haulers. Seems I picked up more than I realized. Good rainy/snowy day projects to tear apart, and salvage the copper. Wish scrap iron prices were up a little, getting quite a little pile.But, I'll load it up when the weather is fit this Spring, and get a load of limestone on the way home, killing two birds with one stone. Always something to do around here..!!
You should build the display than go pick them back up may be a side job . Or make small bales or have it so when they tear down thay can dispose of it back to the farm .

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
My turnip greens are back got some kale , last year I was eating turnip greens kale and arugula like a fresh salad pretty good haven't had one yet this year . But have been eyeing the fresh greens .

·
Registered
244 Posts
I always over-plant

. This is my attempt to avoid it in 2021. Still may be a bit tight? Oh well. Each line is 2 feet.

Reactions: DJ54

·
Registered
576 Posts
I tilled my garden last fall and have tilled it 2 times this spring. All the rain did not keep it to wet to till just like you would like it to. It will not be to long till I start planting.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Someone picked up a whole bag of onion sets today. We had two 15 foot rows last year and most disappeared over the summer. Someone kept tilling me she was not pulling them. But every time relish and cucumbers came in the house onions disappeared.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Someone picked up a whole bag of onion sets today. We had two 15 foot rows last year and most disappeared over the summer. Someone kept tilling me she was not pulling them. But every time relish and cucumbers came in the house onions disappeared.
yep--yep---I agree with you. 😕

41 - 60 of 288 Posts