My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
In descriptions for the Red Oxheart, I'm seeing most say 1-2 lb. in size. That's the size I'm looking for. A good size for working up for canning. Easy size to wash, quarter, and throw in the pto to cook down, before squeezing for juice, etc.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ours never got anywhere near that size! all were the exact same size and maybe 6 to 6 oz. --- unless there are different varieties of oxhearts! --- 60 years ago Mom had some and didnt like the small size as I remember, so dont know!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,856 Posts
Looking to double the two raised beds I build last year. A goal would be to get an underground water line to the garden itself so I'm not dealing with 75' of hose. I also want to add some growing pots. As far as what I'd like to plant, less maters, more squash, more beans, more peppers, pickles, peas, radishes, etc. and a dedicated herb section.

Looking forward to getting my hands back in the dirt.......I wish everyone a productive and fun year.

Build these last year.

paint10.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Looking to double the two raised beds I build last year. A goal would be to get an underground water line to the garden itself so I'm not dealing with 75' of hose. I also want to add some growing pots. As far as what I'd like to plant, less maters, more squash, more beans, more peppers, pickles, peas, radishes, etc. and a dedicated herb section.

Looking forward to getting my hands back in the dirt.......I wish everyone a productive and fun year.

Build these last year.

View attachment 2487358
Did those raised beds require a lot of extra mower and trimmer time?

/

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,856 Posts
Did those raised beds require a lot of extra mower and trimmer time?
/
Honestly, less than 5 minutes with the trimmer if done with the weekly mowing. I never let it "go".

·
Administrator
21,328 Posts
Those are nice looking raised beds. We only have a very small garden which was once a flower bed about 4' x 20'. Generally only have a few onions, couple peppers, and 3-4 tomato plants in that one. I do, however, have a raised bed (plastic) that we bought last year. Put planting mix in there, put in several kinds of herbs, and they grew great! We have it on our back deck. How nice to sit out there enjoying a soda or adult beverage and smell the Basil, Cilantro, Oregano, Lavendar, and Chives. Or, when grilling out, walk over there and snip a few leaves and put on the dinner while cooking. It's handy on the deck, but it would be nice to have a bigger herb bed where more varieties could be grown.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
We used to use the earth-boxes --- have 10 of them we used at the other place --- dont use them here---takes too much time draggin water to them! They do work great!

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Did some after Christmas shopping yesterday, and picked up a couple new to me implements for my IH 140, or 130, w/Fast Hitch. Being I always roll the dirt uphill when plowing, I either have to dead head around to make another pass, or take 30 minutes to hook up the auto-flip 2 way plow on my Super C. I found a FH single point 2 way plow, about 6 weeks ago for a reasonable price, so picked it up. This week, I found another, although rusty, in good shape. The Plow Chief points are in excellent shape. New left hand one's are pretty well non-existant, and the fellow had a very good price on this plow, so picked it up. Also a couple single point, points to attach to an implement.

I asked the owner if he had any other FH attachments. He said he had a potato planter, that someone had modified with a FH single point. He said he'd make me a deal on it, if I wanted it, he just needs barn space bad. We agreed on a price, so made a road trip yesterday to pick them up.

Between here, and the 300 lbs. or so of potatoes the tractor club I belong to plants, to donate to a local food bank, hopefully it will be useful. Other than the bin that holds potatoes, to feed it, it'sin mechanically good shape. The chain and cups that pick up the seed potato' are in excellent shape. It is a Champion brand, and was made in Hammond, IN. A copy of an old ad found online, dates it to about 1927. I'll have to get some pics,and post here when I get it going, and we're planting potatoes. Another project to get done before Spring.

DSC00816.JPG DSC00816.JPG
DSC00816.JPG

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The points can be patched up --- they are no longer to be found for plow chief bottoms. I welded up 4 of them for an old 4 bottom plow I sold 25 years ago---- the guy still uses it to plow his big garden and some of his neighbors gardens. Points still working!

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
The points can be patched up --- they are no longer to be found for plow chief bottoms. I welded up 4 of them for an old 4 bottom plow I sold 25 years ago---- the guy still uses it to plow his big garden and some of his neighbors gardens. Points still working!
What did you use to rebuild them?

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Actually, the right hand one's are readily available. The left hand one's are like hens teeth, that's why I mainly bought this plow, in case I happen to break a left one There are cast one's that I've read some have broken pretty easily, and I'll assume it was in rocky soil. I bought a new one from Burch Tractor, hopefully it is a bit better quality. Then, there are forged steel one's you can get from a fellow here in Ohio, at a place called Ploworx Ploworx Plow Parts. He also has shares, shins,and moldboards. I hooked a guy up from Washinton State with him, as his Plow Chief wear parts were worn completely out, and was looking to buy a whole tractor and plow, to replace his Farmall 100 for his market garden farm out there. Steve fixed him right up in short order, and saved him a ton of time, and money. There is a video of him plowing with his new plow parts, on the Ploworx site somewhere.

I called Steve about a month ago, to see if he'd be interested in making some left hand points. He's most definitely interested..!! The one on my 2-way plow for the Super C is a brand new OEM one, and has only plowed the garden twice, and barely has the paint worn off. Plenty good enough for a pattern to make some. So, hopefully sometime in early summer, I'll take it up to him for something to make a pattern off of. He will talk to you for hours about plows, and plowing.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I used some truck spring stock welded on top/sides and shaped them down. nuttin fancy but they really went in the ground after that.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts