My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time on the Simplicity website last night and there are some feature changes throughout the lineup. Here's a quick summary:

Regent:

New seat on a few models

Broadmoor:

Electric power steering on many models, new steering wheel design.

Conquest:

Electric power steering on both models (hydraulic only on 52" previously).
New steering wheel design.
18" Turning radius ( was 30" IIRC with hydraulic steering previously)
Hydraulic deck lift on 50" deck model ( was manual)

Prestige:

Electric power steering on 2wd models (was hydraulic). New steering wheel design.
18" Turning radius.
No front suspension - rear only
New seat with armrests, no mesh (4wd keeps mesh).
More aggressive rear tires (same as 4wd).

New 50" Conquest seems to be the "sweet spot" of the lineup. Power steering and hydraulic lift with K66 tranny for $6199 MSRP.

Looks like some price increases as well. IIRC compared to last year, $100-200 or so for each model.

Note: Many of the reviews on the website are not good. Appears to be quality control /cost-cutting issues. Such a shame, Simplicity was always a very durable machine until Briggs purchased them. May scare some people away. Would make me think twice. Would want a strong dealer close by in case of problems.

·
4,242 Posts
Fellow Simplicity fan here...I was on the Simplicity site last evening too...but I did not see what you mention here...thank you for posting it.... I did not see any FELs listed as available on what I was able see... did you see any?....I think the Simplicities are still a well made machine, however all of the brands have introduced electronic components and their attendant gremlins that torture users...I don't know that the electric Power Steering is an improvement...I live on Long Island in New York....no one here knows of Simplicity (or Bolens or Wheelhorse)...no ( as in zero) dealer / repair shops for much of anything except a few JD dealers( all seem to be under one owner ) who's customers are mostly School districts and Highway Departments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, I'm in CT. Guess we had the same weather yesterday afternoon and evening. Certainly was a good day to be dreaming about spring and better weather!

I still see the Legacy XL and all attachments such as the FEL and backhoe so doesn't look like any changes there.

As for EPS, I agree that I would rather have hydraulic, but adding it to the Broadmoor probably just made it easier to go with EPS for all models. Sergeant on the Deere forum says no realiabilty ssues with the MTD/ Cub EPS and he has many contacts within the OPE industry so I'll go by what he says. But as for "feel", I've tried both and think hydraulic is better. But, when I've got the Johnny bucket jr on the Deere GT225 full of gravel or topsoil it is a BEAR to steer. So I could definitely see any type of PS better than none.

Simplicity dealer coverage here in CT appears to be better than say 3 years ago. Some Ferris dealers now carrying Simplicity as well so that's good. But there has been a lot of turnover and very few longtime Simplicity dealers still exist.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why would EPS be different from hydraulic? Especially if the main use of the tractor is to cut grass.

I used to own a Prestige, steering was great and to this day I miss it. I've always said that if Simplicity came out with a Broadmoor with power steering, I would consider trading in my current 2016 model and upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be time to trade! You can get the 50" Broadmoor with PS for an MSRP of $4349.

·
4,242 Posts
Well...the 202o Broadmoor is going to have the electric PS...someone just recently posted a problem with Electric PS ( I don't recall the make of the tractor) but his electric system was cutting out while he was driving and he would lose his ability to steer

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well...the 202o Broadmoor is going to have the electric PS...someone just recently posted a problem with Electric PS ( I don't recall the make of the tractor) but his electric system was cutting out while he was driving and he would lose his ability to steer
Everything breaks, but does this mean that the EPS draws power from the battery...I guess that would make sense. So, if the battery is low, would that effect your ability to steer? And, does EPS feel/steer differently than hydraulic power steering?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A few years back when trying out different machines there was a slight difference between hydraulic vs electric (a little smoother) but probably one of those things that you wouldn't notice unless you did an immediate side by side comparison.

I also remember that Sears had a Cub XT1/XT2 series equivalent for only a year or two with EPS for around $2500. I remember being able to move the steering wheel on the display model in the store but not as easy as a manual steer machine. So I think you could steer back to your shed if it went down buut couldn't continue cutting your lawn.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Can someone explain the difference between EPS and hydraulic power steering? Which is more reliable, or is there even a difference in longevity?

·
Super Moderator
28,987 Posts
Electric uses electric actuators to move the wheels, hydraulics use a ram with lines running back to a hydrostatic pump (most also drive a hydrostatic transmission too). EPS is relatively new so not sure if there is good historical data to show which is more reliable. Hydraulic power steering has been around a long time and most issues with it are seals leaking at ram or in the column but are very reliable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts