My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
Interesting tool, but not very accurate from what I'm seeing so far. We were in Lake George, NY over Columbus Day weekend, and the colors were very lackluster. My oaks at home are just starting to turn. Seems like this is a late fall for the color change up here.

Mike

2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is inaccurate. All my trees are green. Slow autumn. One oak tree is half brown and falling but all the other trees are green. One is dropping acorns. Its still warm. Its suppose to be mild through October. They said temperatures will be above normal through December. I'll be doing leaf cleanups in December and January.

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
Acorns have been steadily falling for weeks here, the wind/rain storm last week took down a whole bunch in one night.

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
19,772 Posts
There is quite a few maples & oaks with good color here on the southeastern part of MA,but much of the leaves got blasted off by high winds & heavy downpours last week when that Nor'easter came bombing thru the area...this seems to happen almost every year,a storm ruins the leaf peeping peak season..

2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its funny ABC news called the Bomb Cyclone getting "bombed out". When we were younger like in our teens if someone was drunk they were described as "bombed out".

2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I still have three trees with leaves glued to the limbs. Leaves are everywhere. I was hoping the wind would blow them off the trees. I need to do another cleanup before it rains next week before the temps drop down.

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
Its funny ABC news called the Bomb Cyclone getting "bombed out". When we were younger like in our teens if someone was drunk they were described as "bombed out".
I swear that some of the TV weathermen around here get drunk leading into and throughout these storms.

I have a few oaks still holding on as well. I have one idiot neighbor who doesn't clear the sidewalk (of leaves or snow), nor the curbing (of weeds and leaves), nor the rain gutters in front of his property.

So, when clearing snow, I clear the sidewalk and cut the street back to the curb in front of my yard, and all the way to the first gutter in front of his, so I don't wind up with a frozen lake on the street in front of my house. With all of his extra leaves in the way, the blower kept choking on them the other day. I was not a happy camper...

The guy across from him isn't any better. They don't have a sidewalk in front of them, but they don't bother with the rain gutters. I will usually clear one if the snow is deep, and typically clear it of weeds, etc.

Mike

2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't pile my leaves up in front of my house but the neighbors do in front of theirs and they almost always blow in my yard.They have piles maybe 10 feet wide 30 feet long like three truck loads that need to be picked up. Maybe the rain will weigh them down. The price you pay to live in a neighborhood with a canopy of trees.

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
I still have oaks with leaves, but fewer than usual. We've had a foot of snow, rain, another small snowfall (overnight last night), pretty frequent windy days, and temps all over the map. Not sure if any of that has helped knock them off.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,151 Posts
I also cleaned up some leaves today, but only as part of cleaning out the old firewood stacks. Maybe 10-15 gallons worth (judging by the 44-gallon Rubbermaid can on the smaller Trac Vac).

Still have lots of leaves to go in the back yard, which is sort of a mud pit from the melting ice.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts