My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.....not new here but new to the CUT. Previously had a John Deere X590, John Deere X738, and a Gravely ZT HD 60. Also had a Branson 4520C with loader. Previous to this tractor, I was mowing my 4.5 acres with the Gravely and using the Branson for snow/general loader use. I wanted one machine I could do both with as I hate making a payment on a machine that sits in the shed 80% of the time. SO I traded the Branson in and sold the Gravely outright to a nice gentleman locally. My yard is 4.5 acres, not all flat by any means, lots of trees, lots of stumps(need to rent a grinder soon), and have lots of pine needles under the pine trees.

I bought the 2038R brand new in the middle of July. Had 8.2 hrs on it when I bought it. My dealer had to have it brought in from one of their other stores in the Midwest as they did not have one in stock and they were like 4+ months out for ordering one. I have the 220R loader, the 72D MMM, and also purchased a 6' Frontier landscape rake with it. All financed through JD. Plan to add the front fenders on in the near future as well as a post-hole digger for making fence that needs replaced.

Tractor: 2018 JD 2038R with 8.2 hrs on it when delivered. Has the 38 HP turbo Yanmar diesel with the soot-cooker style DPF(NO DEF required). Love the hydro pedals as they are much easier to use than previous Branson tractor. Very smooth and easy to operate. Love the eThrottle for loader work as well. The harder you push the pedals, the faster/higher it revs just like in a car. The standard lighting seems like it should be ok for night use, but will most likely upgrade to at least LED replacement bulbs in the standard lighting and maybe even get lights for the ROPS that are pre-wired. At 22 hrs....the final drive starting leaking. Dealer picked it up late Friday afternoon and was returned on Wednesday morning completely fixed. Great turn around and I have been very happy with my dealer. I do have a few smaller ornamental trees on my property that make them getting under a bit challenging with the ROPS(even folded), but I tend to use a push-mower under them as weed-wacking is a pain in the butt. I also mow my ditch(about 36" wide and too steep to mow on the 2038R) with a push-mower. The Gravely would do it, but it was a big pucker factor and scalped pretty bad even on the Gravely. SO it looks much nicer with the Honda push-mower.

Mowing: The 72D mows absolutely fabulous. I am more than impressed with the mowing ability of this tractor. It stripes very nicely and better than the Gravely ZT honestly. I think the mowing speeds in low on the JD is about the same as the Gravely ZT HD at full speed. Never clocked them, but they seem about the same speed to me. I think the John Deere actually is smoother mowing as well. ZT's ride extremely rough. The wavy part of my lawn is a bit more challenging with the 72" deck, but just takes a bit more finesse I would say. It stripes very nice as well. I was pleasantly surprised on the striping ability. It uses about 1.0 GPH I would say in mowing duty. I currently have 25.8 hrs on it and the soot level is at about 55% I think the computer said when I shut it off last time(no regen yet on DPF). I also cannot believe how easy the deck is to take on and off. It literally is as easy as it looks in the videos. Sometimes it takes a bit of wiggle to pop the locking mechanism up to disconnect, and same to reconnect.

Loader: The 220R loader works great. Love the floating feature and the amazing ease of disconnecting and reconnecting the loader. The self-park feature is absolutely great. Works very well. The dump seems to be a bit slow, but that's just me I guess. I definitely need to invest in some rear weight, but I have been keeping the landscape rake on there when doing loader work and that seems to help some(it weighs 200ish pounds I think?). I wish I would've spent the $700 on the single-point hook-up for the loader, but I can get my hands greasy for $700 I suppose.

Landscape rake: Used it for the first time on Thursday underneath my pine trees. I have 15 or so very large pines on our property and doubt they'd ever been cleaned up by previous owners. They're probably 2-4" deep over the dirt. It worked absolutely great! Also works fabulous to level out loose dirt as I've been filling it low spots. Get it somewhat close with loader then drag the rake over and it works great!

Any questions or comments? Ask away and I will try to answer!

Facebook has a great group for these tractors as well!

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice rig, how long to mow your yard now?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice rig, how long to mow your yard now?
Just depends. If I just mow and do the ditches with the push mower, it's about 3.5 hrs I'd say. If I do everything-including weedwacking the fence lines and all, it's about 5-6 hrs.

·
Super Moderator
13,205 Posts
Looks like a nice machine that is multipurpose! Congrats on the 2038R.

I was wondering about mowing time as well. How much longer does it take with the 2038R over the Gravely Zero Turn?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a nice machine that is multipurpose! Congrats on the 2038R.

I was wondering about mowing time as well. How much longer does it take with the 2038R over the Gravely Zero Turn?
I don't think it takes anymore time mowing honestly. 72" vs 60" and they both mow at about the same speed from seat of the pants feel. I just have to push mow the whole ditch line vs I could do about half with the ZT puckering pretty hard. So I'm pretty sure it's about a wash honestly. And....I get a bit more exercising with the push mowing some!

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
The new machine looks great! Appreciate the mowing report, I'm moving up from a smaller machine to a bigger CUT and wondered if the mow quality would significantly change. I found a nice '09 2520 and will trade in my X748. I, too had a couple of places that pulled up a wrinkle in the seat when mowing, due to slope, and I will have to use a different method to mow them, but I do still have a smaller GT that can do most of that, and a string trimmer will finish the job. I mow anywhere from 4-1/2 to 6 acres a week during the season and want to cut down the seat time a little, or at least redirect some of the seat time to something other than mowing. As I get older, the X7's ride is getting rougher on my backside, even with the upgraded SE seat, so I hope a heavier machine will soak up more of the bumps.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice tractor and sounds like you are pleased with it. How much uncut grass do you have in a tight left or right hand turn?
I have no idea honestly. It turns sharp for a mid size I think. The 72" deck obviously helps with uncut circle vs. the 60". I have a lot of stumps that are definitely annoying but I will rent a grinder this fall after I get some more of my junk trees cut down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts