My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 2012 Tomato Contest.

The winner gets something every gardener covets... braggin' rights!:trink39:

Although this contest will be for the heaviest tomato, please post ALL your tomato pictures here!

Contest rules: Tomato must be photographed on a scale. You can buy one or take it to a produce store to weigh it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya. Last season I had to rent a bobcat in order to pick just one of what was supposed to be a cherry tomato. The 'regular' tomatoes were taken away by the government before they were even ripe... something about altering the earth's rotation and other such nonsense. I wrote it off on my taxes! This country is really getting out of control.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Just curious, but when you have that many Plants, do you cut off the suckers or just let them grow?:trink40:
We had about 100 plants, 1500 pounds of tomato's, mostly suckered, but, not perfectly diligent!!

That's 15 pounds per plant!!

The string/post staking makes them easy to sucker, about 2 minutes per plant per week.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
We had about 100 plants, 1500 pounds of tomato's, mostly suckered, but, not perfectly diligent!!

That's 15 pounds per plant!!

The string/post staking makes them easy to sucker, about 2 minutes per plant per week.
Thanks, I desucker mine, but usually only have a 15 to 18 plants, in reinforcing wire cages. :trink40:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do the wire cages as well. There is no work with a wire cage - just plop it down, stake it with twine (I don't agree with using petroleum based tying methods like zips), and done.

Cad, your setup looks extremely clean, aesthetically pleasing, and professional - something to be proud of... but too much work for me my friend.

What varieties of tomatoes is everyone growing this year???? :)

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I do the wire cages as well. There is no work with a wire cage - just plop it down, stake it with twine (I don't agree with using petroleum based tying methods like zips), and done.

Cad, your setup looks extremely clean, aesthetically pleasing, and professional - something to be proud of... but too much work for me my friend.

What varieties of tomatoes is everyone growing this year???? :)
Believe it or not, we threw away the cages when we went to the stakes and string, because it is less work than cages!!

A guy from Ohio that grows 13 acres of tomatos' taught us how to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only way I can conceive it is less work is if there is inadequate storage space for cages and or having that many cages is cost prohibitive... work=money

By driving a single rebar through a square mesh cage a person does not need to tie it down, although it's an additional insurance. One firmly placed rebar and cage is all that's needed per plant. You have 1 bar per plant. You have 5 runs of string per plant. As I'm uninitiated, I'm assuming you must weave the plant into the string.... that's constant work. Compared to the 2 short bursts of work involved with installing and removing a wire cage.

Staking a cage once and removing it once... that just seems like less work. I don't build my cages every year, they're already built and just need to be staked down.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
I have never seen cages 6-7 feet high, we plant indeterminate tomato plants that go up to 8 feet before falling over. At that point we are done for the season.

We find it almost impossible to sucker cage tomato plants without damaging the plants.

It is also easy to harvest our style of tomato without damaging the plant, which is important to growing indeterminate plants.

We need only 1 stake per two plants, yes it is easy to store and very low cost.

It is just a system we like, not for everybody....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The important thing is finding productive methodology and sound reasoning for gardening practices in order that others may emulate someone's success - science.

True, I've never seen cages that high, though the tomatoes I grow are over 7 feet high and are a mix of indeterminate and determinate.

I don't sucker any of my plants and I can't see how harvesting a caged tomato causes potential problems when harvesting.

How?

Storing for me is a problem, as well as the cages being very unsightly in the garden compared to your method. This is the only benefit I can see.

What variety do you grow?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sorry, fellas', I only go for volume.

That way I can share with more neighbors!!

:fing32:
Can I get some close-ups of your setup?

I've heard it was easier this way.

I'll be growing cherokee purple, black krim, mortgage lifter, and whatever I dig out of the dumpster at the big box store (last year it was 7 better boy, 1 yellow boy, and 8 peppers)

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I use two pc,s page wire 4 foot tall wired together.two stakes one either side drove in the ground.reach though to pick tomato.plants go up and over top.this year yellow very good keeper.and old German tomato.one shaped like a flying Baloon. one i got from the Amish years ago.and a Cherokee purple.that one from Amish they call low acid.and a plum from Italy called Marsano.an a ox heart.no hybrid.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
My wife says size doesn't matter anyway, so I grew these

Clockwise from the top: Tommy Toe, Black Cherry, Sweet 100, Sun Baby

Never been much of a cherry tomato fan, all but the Sweet 100 have found a place in my garden next year

Attachments

·
Farm Show
5,382 Posts
Have not weighed any, but they are comming! What a blessing! I love tomatoes! I get about this much, maybe more for the last 3 weeks now.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.