My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a commercial today for the new Buick Lacross,and it says the "engine shuts off at every stop"....I'm unsure if its a hybrid,but some of those like the Prius,DO shut the engine off while coasting,sitting at red lights,etc...

My question is this--how can an engine in a hybrid be expected to last,if its always being started and shut down constantly??...it will never warm up fully,(and you'll freeze in winter,cant defrost the windows either!)--with every cold start it'll starve for oil for a few seconds.etc....surely this cant be conductive to a long life,or good fuel mileage!...never mind the wear and tear on the starter and battery,charging system,etc....bet a 2012 Buick starter will be the best selling one at all the parts stores soon,and it'll cost 500 bucks probably too!..

Beats me how this "new technology" is an improvement??...I think your better off with a diesel or a small gas engined car,they only get maybe 10 mpg less than a hybrid,and dont cost 35 grand either....and how much does a hybrid battery cost ??..3 grand??..:eek:...and where do you "recycle" one??...

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
Many vehicles with the "start-stop" feature use a motor-generator that is integrated into the drivetrain. It operates like many old Onan generators where the armature can crank the engine. It operates seamlessly and quietly.

Having said that, I'll stick with my '83 Mercedes.

·
Super Moderator
32,407 Posts
As for warm up... most of these systems dont start the shutting down at stop till the engine has reached operationg temp. As for a shorter engine life... frankly todays engines can last well over 200k witl very little care... and most people dont keep a car that long, so if you take a engine that lasts 200k, and maybe make it so it uses less fuel, but only lasts 185k.... most people would never know.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'm thinking this is only the start of ways they have planned for us in the auto world.I've always believed the days of the shadetree repairs are numbered.I agree with TH that starting and stopping,and continued cranking has to be bad for an eng.As a whole--I'm just glad to have lived in the 60 and 70's,and can remember saying,"I got to fix that"-instead of,"wonder what they'll charge me for that".:trink40:

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,472 Posts
"how can an engine in a hybrid be expected to last,if its always being started and shut down constantly??."

"Beats me how this "new technology" is an improvement??."

I expect the repair cost from constantly stopping and starting will much more than offset any potential savings plus, the first year of doing this? Remember GM's multiple attempts to build an aluminum block engine. I can just see bunches of these Lacrosses sitting at intersections during rush hour not restarting.

Walt Conner

·
close enuff works for me
3,257 Posts
No,No,No. Everyone knows that GM never lets new technology out into the public until it is tested completely and found to be bullet proof like the Caddilac 8-6-4 V8, and the Olds 5.7L diesel.
ditto and the chevy vega,,,,was the proud owner of a brand new 74 vega, my first new car...watched every body else puke the aluminum engine on theirs and traded mine in .

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
"how can an engine in a hybrid be expected to last,if its always being started and shut down constantly??."
This technology has been in golf carts for years. :)

·
Premium Member
5,741 Posts
I just read a road test of one in a local paper. The 4-cylinder version uses a 15HP motor-generator to start the engine and provide additional acceleration. It is supposed to get very good HWY MPG. Imagine how much better it would be if it shed 800-1000# of its 3800# heft.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,472 Posts
"This technology has been in golf carts for years"

Well seeing as how that is what "cars" are coming to, it should fit right in. I really don't think there is quit the technology in a golf cart to go wrong as there is in an automobile.

Walt Conner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.