My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
broke the deck belt today, replaced it, noticed the battery lite on in rev and w/ headlites on. Removed rev lite bulbs to prevent battery drain, after an hr. or so of mowing noticed battery lite on at all times. Where to begin? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Check voltage. If it's low (close to battery voltage with tractor off) most likely you need a voltage regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
How old is your battery?
If it is more than 6 years old, it is probably time to replace it.

Looks like it probably has a 5 terminal voltage regulator. The two brown wires come for the alternator and have AC on them. The black wire is ground. The red goes to the battery. The yellow is switched power (not really sure why that is necessary for the VR). Measure the AC input voltage. The should probably be above 20VAC, more like 30, I would guess. The voltage at the battery will depend on the state of charge of the battery. If your battery is nearing the end of its normal life, it will bring the voltage down. A normal battery should have something like 13-14VDC, while the engine is running, and the battery is fully charged.

So, it could be battery, alternator, or VR that is the problem. It is best to check the other two before replacing the battery, because a bad VR can destroy a good battery pretty quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Realized I have a repair manual on CD, printed out some diagnostic pages, tested the battery = OK, checked alt output at V/R connector = OK, cleaned connector, mowed for 45 min. tonite, lite was off all the while mowing, checked w/ meter, charging OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts